Tryed flying advanced indoors just for test

I have no problem flying indoors, you just have to know how to fly. Most phantom owners don't know how to fly I'd wager, everyone is dependent on the GPS to do all the work

Some find it enjoyable, but you need some space to hang..
I certainly appreciated my time spent in the vacant aircraft hangar, over winter. ;-)
Of course flying with fellow comrades is always memorable... Ha

RedHotPoker

OK, I know this has been shared, but considering the topic....
This is why you shouldn't fly indoors. Especially if you haven't read the manual.
I cry laughing ever time I watch this :)

Reactions: Andrea
Take it out side, take it out side!! Hahahaha
Oh & you thought you were having Bad day?
http://www.keepbusy.net/mobile/guy-tries-out-new-rc-helicopter.mp4

RedHotPoker
The first collective heli I built, I was in my basement when I finished it getting ready to head out for the maiden flight. Well I powered it on t make sure I had power and everything was ready. That's when I accidentally hit the throttle on my work bench. It then did pretty much what that guys did only it was gong from the floor to ceiling, floor to ceiling. And then it rained a thousand pieces down on me.
That was a $1200 screwup that my wife and I still laugh about today :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

And 1200 pieces to glue back together, for a wall hanging.. Hahaha
RC is such fun, yes? Hahaha
Atleast we live to tell the tale.

So, no Throttle Hold back then?
Lock that radio up, or you!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
The first collective heli I built, I was in my basement when I finished it getting ready to head out for the maiden flight. Well I powered it on t make sure I had power and everything was ready. That's when I accidentally hit the throttle on my work bench. It then did pretty much what that guys did only it was gong from the floor to ceiling, floor to ceiling. And then it rained a thousand pieces down on me.
That was a $1200 screwup that my wife and I still laugh about today :)

There is a time and place for everything...
If done right, Flying Indoors can be a lot of fun. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

And 1200 pieces to glue back together, for a wall hanging.. Hahaha
RC is such fun, yes? Hahaha
Atleast we live to tell the tale.

So, no Throttle Hold back then?
Lock that radio up, or you!! ;-)

RedHotPoker
Ohhhhh nooooo, there was no glueing that back together lol.
The only thing repairable was the drywall on the ceiling and a light fixture :).

Sending "her" to visit her Mother, has its benefits.. Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MasterBlaster
I have an Inductrix. It's very sturdy! :). Speaking from personal experience, if you fly inside to any meaningful degree, a mishap is practically a foregone conclusion. My Phantom 4 is so steady, and gets a GPS lock in the house even, that I left it hovering in the living room, and took a bathroom break. LOL. But I was practicing hovering a Vortex 250 in "acro" mode, and it got away from me, and a prop got one of my toes. My kitchen ended up looking like someone had been murdered. I healed. And cleaned the floor. LOL. Those props are so sharp it didn't even hurt that much. At least I know that if I lift off indoors, I'm being more daring than it might first look like. Metal to screw up your compass, turbulence from rotor wash and A/C, low light or funny floor to screw up the VPS, low margin for error... I read about one guy who flew his in his open front door, and lost RC contact and it tried to do a RTH from his living room. :)

Reactions: MasterBlaster
There's a million stories, and many have posted YouTube videos to prove it. Hahaha
Be brave, saddle up, get back on that pony and ride... Haha
Yes, spinning rotor blades will hurt you... Fly carefully.
That doesn't include leaving the room to check email and bathroom breaks. ;-)

RedHotPoker

It was so unstable I don't understand ? Though it had sensors for flying indoors I clipped the wall nothing happened thank god. Any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you tried a ride-on mover inside your home? That's a hoot too, I expect!

It was so unstable I don't understand ? Though it had sensors for flying indoors I clipped the wall nothing happened thank god. Any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tried it 1 time.. Mine was steady for the most part. I had dust balls coming out of every corner of the house. Dog freaked out, I freaked out. WTH. I thought I kept a clean house. My P3 proved me wrong. So no more indoor flight test for me..

I was amazed at the amount of wind generated by the props. Mine stayed steady in place with a few drifts. But I agree with others also. Stick to outside flying only. Safer for you and your bird. :)

OK, I know this has been shared, but considering the topic....
This is why you shouldn't fly indoors. Especially if you haven't read the manual.
I cry laughing ever time I watch this :)
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Thanks MasterBlaster! I missed that! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
So you see, some people don't know how to fly a quad without GPS... but some other don't even know how to spin the motors off!

I have no problem flying indoors, you just have to know how to fly. Most phantom owners don't know how to fly I'd wager, everyone is dependent on the GPS to do all the work

I think many of us don't see the need to fly our P3 that can take 1080p or 4k video in a house. Lets not forget what these Phantoms were designed to do.. I tried 1 time and was a interesting experience. You are right though. Without the GPS the bird does fly way different. I guess in an emergency I would take it out of P mode and fly it by stick only. I guess many of us are afraid in some ways of crashing our birds.. We just need to get out of that comfort zone and try flying without the GPS..

I tried one time without GPS outside and the bird drifted everywhere.. I was NOT in my comfort ZONE at that moment.. All I could see was my money drifting away... well.. back to P mode... Those guys that fly these P3 without GPS are great pilots. Maybe with practice and some more flights under my belt I can do the same one day..

Reactions: Jesse James
Those guys that fly these P3 without GPS are great pilots.

No, we're just not stupid enough to try it in our house ;)

Seriously, if you are not confident flying (outside) even in attitude mode, I would recommend you buy some cheap quadcopter to practice with. Could save you some money and its fun to do.

FWIW, what you call attitude mode or sometimes manual mode (cringe), is what I and most.. "real" pilots consider almost fully automatic mode: the phantom auto levels when you center the sticks, it automatically holds is bank and pitch angle and will never exceed certain limits, and the throttle is controlled automatically to maintain altitude. Even when yanking the control sticks.

My racing quads have none of those features. The throttle stick actually controls motor speed, not altitude (it also doesnt center). If I increase forward speed, I need to add more throttle or the quad will lose altitude, and vice versa. The other sticks control rotation rate, not bank or roll angle. So if I center my sticks, nothing happens, the quad maintains whatever orientation it was in. Upside down, sideways, whatever. To get it level, I need to actively steer it to level.

Anyway, you may not want to learn that, but flying a phantom or any other quad in self leveling "attitude mode", you really should master and have no problems with whatsoever.

edit: none of that makes me great. I just sometimes manage to not crash :). Great pilots can do this:

Reactions: Andrea

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl