travelling to new zealand from uk

You lucky bugger [emoji4] def calibrate the compass, apart from that nothing else is needed. I would buy a few lipo battery bags from ebay tho

Wonder if the phantom will tell me it needs a compass calibration?

next week off to new zealand from the uk for a few weeks,
will i need to calibrate compass or anything when using p4 so far away from home?
There should be no need to recalibrate anything.
Recent DJI manuals make no mention of calibrating anything for any distance travelled.
Calibrating the compass is to let the compass know what is part f the Phantom so it knows that everything else is the earth's normal magnetic field.
Calibrating has nothing to do with your geographic location.
If you think the Phantom is telling you to recalibrate, first move away from whatever is upsetting the compass and see if the error message goes away.

NZ is all scenery overload and you should have a blast.
Just check their rules before getting adventurous.

Wonder if the phantom will tell me it needs a compass calibration?
I doubt it. That doesn't seem to be a function of the Phantom (even though the Phantom manual states otherwise).

Reactions: Dazzauk
There should be no need to recalibrate anything.
Recent DJI manuals make no mention of calibrating anything for any distance travelled.
Calibrating the compass is to let the compass know what is part f the Phantom so it knows that everything else is the earth's normal magnetic field.
Calibrating has nothing to do with your geographic location.
If you think the Phantom is telling you to recalibrate, first move away from whatever is upsetting the compass and see if the error message goes away.

NZ is all scenery overload and you should have a blast.
Just check their rules before getting adventurous.

Thanks buddy.

I’m so looking forward to it.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks buddy.

I’m so looking forward to it.
Looking forward to seeing all the pics and videos you take on your holiday. Try and get a tracker for it if you don't have one as your in a place that you don't know too well. Doubt anything will happen but just to be on the safe side [emoji4]

There are a couple of kiwis on this forum including @ianzone that might be able to give you some tips on areas to fly and any safe to fly apps to help you out. You are going to want to emigrate from ole blighty once you get a taste of Enzed and their funny accents......

will i need to calibrate compass or anything when using p4 so far away from home?

daz
HI here's a pic of Web site if wanting to know any more info before arrive if want to read,anyway hope you have a good visit here,summer just started so heaps of flying going on,enjoy:)
1513495688820-1630848677.jpg

Lucky Guy,
We went to NZ for six weeks last year travelled around in a camper.
Wish I had my Phantom 3 advanced at that time. When I came back in Holland I bought one. Now hoping to be able to go back again .
Think I did it the wrong way round !
Have fun and enjoy , I did.

Kiwi1952

daz
Not sure why you wouldn't have to calibrate. A compass is different north and south of the equator. Unless the p4 has a special compass that takes that into account your compass readings most likely will be off.

Not sure why you wouldn't have to calibrate. A compass is different north and south of the equator. Unless the p4 has a special compass that takes that into account your compass readings most likely will be off.
An electronic compass points to magnetic north whether it's in the northern or southern hemisphere.
It is not subject to "magnetic dip" because with an electronic compass there is no physical needle to "drag" on the compass housing. Therefore electronic compasses work equally well in any hemisphere, and even when located very close to the poles.

If it was important to recalibrate when crossing the equator, DJI would say something about it in the manual (and they don't).

Calibrating the compass is not at all related to where you are or distance from anywhere else.
Calibrating the compass enables the Phantom to work out which magnetic influences that the compass reports are part of the Phantom and anything else should be the earth's normal magnetic field.
Unless you are modifying your Phantom, there should be no need to ever calibrate the compass.

An electronic compass points to magnetic north whether it's in the northern or southern hemisphere.
It is not subject to "magnetic dip" because with an electronic compass there is no physical needle to "drag" on the compass housing. Therefore electronic compasses work equally well in any hemisphere, and even when located very close to the poles.

If it was important to recalibrate when crossing the equator, DJI would say something about it in the manual (and they don't).

Calibrating the compass is not at all related to where you are or distance from anywhere else.
Calibrating the compass enables the Phantom to work out what magnetic influences that the compass reports are part of the Phantom and anything else should be the earth's normal magnetic field.
Unless you are modifying your Phantom, there should be no need to ever calibrate the compass.

Nice explanation there boss.

Just speculating, but I suspect this recurring question about needing to recalibrate comes from the fact that most navigational maps are oriented to true north, not magnetic north, and "compass deviation" varies as you move about the earth. My automobile has an electronic compass, and the owner's manual discusses changing its settings depending on what part of the country (U.S.) you live in. It comes with zones of longitude within which the compass deviation is set. Since there are only 8 subdivisions of the compass direction indication, and we never really navigate using it, I don't bother adjusting the zone. Since the flight controls are programmed to comprehend magnetic north as the "beacon" against which to reference its bearings, it doesn't need to understand compass deviation.

Just my $0.02...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94