Transmitter Upgrade Options

Reaction score
I've recently broke my transmitter. I broke it while attempting to install the level in the new upgrade kit for the zenmuse gimbal. I've looked around online, including this forum, about my options. I'd like to get an opinion about my specific situation. I'm considering replacing the transmitter with either the stock one or an upgraded one. I'm happy with the functionality on the stock transmitter. I like that its simple, and cheap. I'm also considering an upgrade, primarily for reliability. Is there an option out there that is family simple (or at least easy to find answers to my questions), offers better reliability, and is not too expensive (I know it would be more expensive then the stock transmitter)? I want it to work well with the gimbal too. Thanks.

Futaba T8J or Spektrum DX8 are the preferred options.
Turnigy 9x if you're on a budget.

rilot said:
Futaba T8J or Spektrum DX8 are the preferred options.
Turnigy 9x if you're on a budget.

Thanks for the reply! I looked into each of those. I think I'd go with the Futaba T8J, but I can't find it in stock anywhere, and I'd really like to by up an flying within a week. The Spektrum DX8 looks nice, but is a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm not sure about the Turnigy 9x. Is it going to be more reliable then the stock transmitter? I may just get another stock transmitter.

When you use such a transmitter, do you have to use the RX that comes with it? And if so, does that add to the weight?

Gnapoleon said:
When you use such a transmitter, do you have to use the RX that comes with it? And if so, does that add to the weight?

Yes you do. It will add weight, but I don't thing it's very much.

You can also consider the DX 7. Its cheaper than the DX 8 and is almost the same. It doesn't have a backlit screen and the telemetry option is additional, but it gets you into that class of radio

Remember, you remove the stock Rx to add the new one. The weight is not significant compared to adding gimbals and things

stargazer75 said:
LJ35 said:
Stargazer... I just bought my T8J on eBay for just under $265 shipped.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1 ... AUS%3A3160

I bought it last night, I should receive it Thursday. Not too shabby.

I really appreciate the link! I was a bit depressed about settling on something I wasn't totally happy with. I ordered mine on email on ebay too. Thanks again.

The T8J came in last week (very fast shipping), but I was everywhere except home all last week (hell, I wasn't even in the country but one day out of six :shock: ). Well, I installed the receiver and set up the transmitter today. The videos on YouTube made it super simple. After a quick calibration, I was flying. I like having a switch for GPS/ATTI/manual with RTH on a separate switch. I feel like I have more precise control with the T8J.

Now, what to do with my stock DJI transmitter? Use it on a small electric plane? A surface rover? Sell it? :p

LJ35 said:
Now, what to do with my stock DJI transmitter? Use it on a small electric plane? A surface rover? Sell it? :p

I keep mine around,. perhaps one day I'll want to sell my Phantom and will put the old Rx back into it.

LJ35 said:
stargazer75 said:
LJ35 said:
Stargazer... I just bought my T8J on eBay for just under $265 shipped.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1 ... AUS%3A3160

I bought it last night, I should receive it Thursday. Not too shabby.

I really appreciate the link! I was a bit depressed about settling on something I wasn't totally happy with. I ordered mine on email on ebay too. Thanks again.

The T8J came in last week (very fast shipping), but I was everywhere except home all last week (hell, I wasn't even in the country but one day out of six :shock: ). Well, I installed the receiver and set up the transmitter today. The videos on YouTube made it super simple. After a quick calibration, I was flying. I like having a switch for GPS/ATTI/manual with RTH on a separate switch. I feel like I have more precise control with the T8J.

LJ35...I'm thinking about a T8J myself and maybe we can get together sometime and you can show me how you did the install..I'm 10 min from Dawsonville...ZDAWG

T8J all the way! Just installed mine, and I must say I feel way more comfortable flying with it compared to the stock radio. There is no comparison in my opinion!!

zdawg said:
LJ35 said:
stargazer75 said:

LJ35...I'm thinking about a T8J myself and maybe we can get together sometime and you can show me how you did the install..I'm 10 min from Dawsonville...ZDAWG
Anytime! I'm (again) way away from home, but will be off work all next week. Private Message me and we can get together at your convenience.

I've heard the range is not as good with the Turnigy 9x. Not sure if that is true, or if they were just trying to sell a more expensive transmitter. Anyone have any idea if there is a big difference in range with the Turnigy compared to the Futaba, Spektrum, or stock DJI?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl