Tips for Flying in Manual Mode ?

Reaction score
I figured it is a real good idea to practice flying the P2 in Manual Mode instead of the GPS modes. I should have done this from the beginning. If the GPS/Nav system has a failure, you can either crash or bring it down Old School.

So I changed changed Switch S1 position 3 (Right side Switch bottom position) from Failsafe mode to to Manual Mode.
I went out and did some practice flying at about an altitude of 100 feet. I switched from GPS mode or from Atti mode down to Manual Mode. I did this while it was in a hover or moving slow.

As soon as it goes into Manual Mode, the P2 drops like a Rock and requires some good careful up throttle to get it to maintain altitude and not go into a death wobble.

Any tips or tricks from experienced Manual Mode flyers on transitioning from a GPS controlled flight mode into full Manual Mode?

Before using your P2 for experiment, may I suggest you purchase a Hubsan 4x (they're $40) to practice manual mode on.

Start 2 to 3 errors high, and only switch into the manual mode while generating thrust. The throttle reverts to a more linear range where hover is likely above mid stick.

At first, everything needs to start and end in a hover, as you are controlling momentum. For every stick movement, there needs to be a corrective movement to stop momentum and return to level flight, You are not aided by the NAZA in limiting tilt, so flips are possible; whether intentional or not. So is inverted flight, but not the negative pitch needed to control it.

As you become more experienced, you can merely shift momentum to a new direction.

There are a number of mini quads that can be flown inside or oin light wind that offer minimum stabilization options to help you get used to flying it all the time. Also, there are flight simulator programs for use with either a separate USB controller, or using the trainer port of some RC controllers.

I have flown Full Size and RC Heli's and basically that is what it reminded me of. Both hands on sticks and 100% of your attention.

I have the Futaba T8FGS Radio. I haven't checked to see if it can be plugged in to the PC and used with a simulator prog.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT