Time is Money - Save Both and Fly

Reaction score
I was surveying this wetland looking for clumps of phragmites plants for a wetland restoration project. It is much easier to survey from the air than the ground, and a lot more fun too. The phantom probably saved me half a days work not a cheap tool though. Added some funky music to the video.

http://youtu.be/QCKve0-EIJ0

In this video I'm flying out of wetland, which I figure is safer than trying to fly off my boat in the wind. I put a 2x4 foot scrap piece of plywood on the soggy ground and took off from there. The Phantom makes a good weed trimmer and plant debris got on my lens. Landing was better than expected given my skill level, but I most certainly need a bigger sheet of plywood.

Good advice. When I have some more flight time under my belt, and the prop guards on I'll give it a try.

I hand catch all of mine...saves the chance of tip over from a rough landing. its pretty easy ...bring it in nice and slow and get it low enough you can grab the landing gear. Then just keep the TX in your left hand with your thumb on the stick and grab it and hold the phantom still and hold down on the stick to shut the motors down. Easy as can be. I tend to grab the phantom at about 7 ft off the ground so that I reach up from underneath so the blades are always away from me and i reach from the middle of the phantom out. That way if i miss my hand just hits the belly of the phantom. Its slightly unnerving the first time or 2. But once you do it a couple times and follow some safety rules then its not a big deal.

Ok I'm convinced. I will give hand catching a try the next time I am out, which won't be for awhile if this wind keeps up.

I do recommend the hand catch too. As written above by chuddly i let the bird hoover close to me in a height i have to raise my hand to grab the landing gear. I had several flights in a fishing boat in Atlantic and to catch bird by hand was moreless the only way to land. Plus much safer for the bird too. Rgds.

Plus 1 for the hand catch. As said above just bring it in close above your head then walk in and put your hand up to catch it. Once in hand pull the left lever/stick right back to switch it off. Also remember to switch off recording before you actually catch it, it will save you editing time later. :) Nice video btw.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl