Those with FPV - how do you fly?

Reaction score
I couldn't really find a good spot to post this but here's todays question. For those who have FPV, how much do you fly solely from watching the monitor and on screen data vs looking up and watching the drone?

Sometimes re-finding the drone after looking at the screen is problematic, which means viewing the screen more, at least until the bird is spotted again.

I have(with safety spotters/chase atv) flown over a rural frozen lake over 12000 ft away using the screen/Apple Maps/radar display.

With the video, the radar display, the gps map and the telemetry it is no problem to do so.
The issues are around the inability to have spatial awareness when viewing screen and being way out of line of sight.

Many here have backed into or turned into terrain due to lack of spatial awareness and flying only via screen/FPV.

Although I try to maintain visual of my aircraft, which is honestly easier at night than during the day, I fly most of the time using the maps and the FPV. When you're doing long distance flying, its way better, and plus, if you're in it for the footage rather than flying the drone, you really do need to watch the FPV. That being said, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for where your drone is so it doesn't run into stuff, but for the most part, it's much more fun flying via FPV since it's almost like you're in the actual drone.

Many have made mistakes think they have complete control by flying FPV solely whether using a monitor, tablet or goggles as there isn't any peripheral vision or depth perception when using such equipment. I fly VLOS and sue FPV monitor as tool for aligning the camera for footage and telemetry it provides.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl