This wind is getting a little old :(

image.jpeg Here's a kite to fly. Looking forward to the beach and trying my new P4. Happy New Year!

Reactions: loonie01
I just flew a while in 10 to 15 mph winds. I kept it to about 20 feet high and I was in an open field. I just had to see how it does in the wind, it done very well.

I called Donald... (Trump). Asked him to turn the weather off 'till spring.. He said, mabey, if we all act like patriots and freakin' stop being wimps of the world and stand up for what's important. The Globalists cannot have our world!

Reactions: DCJ64
Trump is on his way....

I live in the Toronto area of canada and have been grounded due to a constant 35km plus wind for the last 3 weeks... It's getting kinda old and annoying. Anybody fly in this type of weather?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I live in South Dakota I believe its one of the windiest places in the U.S. It sucks for drone pilots.

I live in the Toronto area of canada and have been grounded due to a constant 35km plus wind for the last 3 weeks...
35 km/h (18 knots) is a good steady wind but a Phantom can handle that easily.
Your Phantom can fly at around 60km/hr with object avoidance disabled.
You would need to be careful on landing and takeoff and be careful to fly upwind to ensure and easy flight home but it's quite possible.
I flew three missions last week out to ships that were reporting 17 knot winds and the Phantom ate it - of course the wind was such that it made for an easy flight home after a hard slog to get out there.
Here's one.
Here's one.
DJI_0117a-X2.jpg

You would need to be careful on landing and takeoff and be careful to fly upwind to ensure and easy flight home but it's quite possible.
I flew three missions last week out to ships that were reporting 17 knot winds and the Phantom ate it - of course the wind was such that it made for an easy flight home after a hard slog to get out there.
Here's one.
Here's one.
DJI_0117a-X2.jpg
Great shot! I have flown near large vessels but don't get too close out of fear the mass of metal will confuse the drone. How close have you flown to one, and have you flown close and over one?

Great shot! I have flown near large vessels but don't get too close out of fear the mass of metal will confuse the drone. How close have you flown to one, and have you flown close and over one?
A ship is a big thing but as long as you are far enough away to photograph the whole ship rather than just a small part of it you won't have any compass issues.
Yes ... I've flown close to a few .. it's my little hobby.
There are a few more in here: Shipping - Above & Beyond Photography
DJI_0319a-X2.jpg

Reactions: loonie01
Here's one.
Here's one.
DJI_0117a-X2.jpg
Are you on land when you take these shots or you on a boat ? About. How far you fly out to the ship?

Might be a dumb question, but how do you all know what the wind speed is before you fly? do you look up a weather website or something? I usually look at the tops of trees bending over, pack it in and head home :)

Wind here in Chicago as well. Bought a weather station (two wind sensors, direction and speed) from Costco, and 'developing' a new hobby/occupation/learning for when it's too windy to fly. That said, this hobby must be more popular in the South as, we northerners, are 'seasonal' hobbyists.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wind here in Chicago as well. Bought a weather station (two wind sensors, direction and speed) from Costco, and 'developing' a new hobby/occupation/learning for when it's too windy to fly. That said, this hobby must be more popular in the South as, we northerners, are 'seasonal' hobbyists.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Seasonal hobbyists is right! I haven't flown in over a month here in Wisconsin. If its not windy, its 0 degrees, if its not 0 degrees its snowing, and if its not snowing, its windy. An endless loop in the doldrums of winter!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl