This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

I just tested a stock RE 700 yesterday and it went 4600 feet before it dropped out on a stock P2V+ and no amp. So somethin' ain't right. You have wifi interference?

ITELITE here.
Longest I have gone is about 1600 ft before video drops out. It can get pretty choppy before that though. Not sure why I'm not getting the range some of y'all are with stock P3S and unboosted ITELITE.
Something is wrong for sure, I was getting 2200 to 2500 meters with the unboosted DBS and 1000 meters when completely stock. Now this is out in the farm lands with very few homes.

So my P3S is completely stock and I've been venturing farther on some flights to test the limited. Now according to DJI the range on a stock P3S is:
"FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))"

So 500 meters is 1640 feet for those using imperial units. My current record is 1968 feet. While I'm sure I could have gotten past 2000, I was losing video feed and I was over a commercial trucking business and decided to come back. Here's a link of the flight:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I'm more curios why people are modding their P3S's vs buying one of the advanced or pro models which offer longer range. I just got the P3S while waiting for my Mavic to arrive so I'm pretty happy with the range I'm currently getting.

So my P3S is completely stock and I've been venturing farther on some flights to test the limited. Now according to DJI the range on a stock P3S is:
"FCC: 1000 m; CE: 500 m (outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))"

So 500 meters is 1640 feet for those using imperial units. My current record is 1968 feet. While I'm sure I could have gotten past 2000, I was losing video feed and I was over a commercial trucking business and decided to come back. Here's a link of the flight:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I'm more curios why people are modding their P3S's vs buying one of the advanced or pro models which offer longer range. I just got the P3S while waiting for my Mavic to arrive so I'm pretty happy with the range I'm currently getting.
Two reasons, someone's bought the standard then after getting bored with its current range capabilities decide to spend a little on modifications to increase its range and stability, but doesn't want to spend $800 to over $1000 on a whole new Drone. Second reason is some people make a hobby of tinkering and modification of their equipment. I fit into both of those categories personally. It's a sense of pride and accomplishment that with my own two hands a device that was only capable of 1000 metres is currently going 4 times that range, record to date is 4000 meters.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Two reasons, someone's bought the standard then after getting bored with its current range capabilities decide to spend a little on modifications to increase its range and stability, but doesn't want to spend $800 to over $1000 on a whole new Drone. Second reason is some people make a hobby of tinkering and modification of there equipment. I fit into both of those categories personally. It's a sense of pride and accomplishment that with my own two hands a device that was only capable of 1000 metres is currently going 4 times that range, record to date is 4000 meters.

Makes sense. As much as I like to tinker with computers, not sure I would feel competent modifying my remote.

Makes sense. As much as I like to tinker with computers, not sure I would feel competent modifying my remote.
Same here, my PC can't be tweak much more , gotta break down and buy a new one soon. Updated the video card, added ram to the max the main board will accept, replaced the CPU to duel core (I know still out of date) and added two external HDs. But it does what I ask of it.

Same here, my PC can't be tweak much more , gotta break down and buy a new one soon. Updated the video card, added ram to the max the main board will accept, replaced the CPU to duel core (I know still out of date) and added two external HDs. But it does what I ask of it.

I got my machine VR ready about a year ago and that meant new motherboard, CPU, graphics card, cooling unit, and case. Lots of fun. Plus I have a whole flight simulator setup at home so that runs on five USB controllers which had to be set up.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I got my machine VR ready about a year ago and that meant new motherboard, CPU, graphics card, cooling unit, and case. Lots of fun. Plus I have a whole flight simulator setup at home so that runs on five USB controllers which had to be set up.

Even though most everything with upgrading your PC now a days has a plug or connector to it to some degree. It sounds from what you accomplish working on the drones remote should be a piece of cake for you.

Two reasons, someone's bought the standard then after getting bored with its current range capabilities decide to spend a little on modifications to increase its range and stability, but doesn't want to spend $800 to over $1000 on a whole new Drone. Second reason is some people make a hobby of tinkering and modification of their equipment. I fit into both of those categories personally. It's a sense of pride and accomplishment that with my own two hands a device that was only capable of 1000 metres is currently going 4 times that range, record to date is 4000 meters.

The second one would be ME.Need to know what makes it tick and see if I can twik it for more.

The second one would be ME.Need to know what makes it tick and see if I can twik it for more.
Just like when hams make all their radios from parts or at least surplus. Now everything is off the shelf, plug an play.

No brainier why spend £800-£1000 on a p3A or p3p when the standard is a awesome peice of kit. If you can spend a little on getting more range from it. For me if I could get between 1.5-2 miles that would be perfect for me.

No brainier why spend £800-£1000 on a p3A or p3p when the standard is a awesome peice of kit. If you can spend a little on getting more range from it. For me if I could get between 1.5-2 miles that would be perfect for me.

At the start of this thread I started using the p3S, I ran distance w/ all the other models before trying this one, soon into this one I realized it's a very capable machine! I've takin it out to 49000'.

At the start of this thread I started using the p3S, I ran distance w/ all the other models before trying this one, soon into this one I realized it's a very capable machine! I've takin it out to 49000'.

Are you serious dude. That's like 9 miles. That's amazing

I'm wanting to get the dbs kit and possibly boost it. What would I need to do this? Thank you :)

I agree with you 100% big D about this model being underrated! I currently fly all models of the phantom except 1 and 4, and this one is definitely the best for price=function. The difference in the Standard to its comparable p2v+ is night/day! The p3s is lightyears(not lightbridge) ahead!
With the p2v+ stock bird w/controller mods you would be lucky to hit a 5000-7000ft.
This little brother of the p3 is great and i plan to check its performance in different stages from here. Next is:
(1) stock bird w/ DBS on tripod (way better aiming)
(2) stock bird w/dbs boosted 5.8 & 2.4
(3) birdside mods w/ fpvlr dipoles 5.8 & 2.4 w/ DBS antenna UNboosted
(4) birdside mods fpvlr 5.8 & 2.4 dipoles w/ DBS boosted antennas.

If you guys dont mind i'll be posting the results here as i go.
I have lots of other mods, models, & tests going so this p3S is/was not priority but that might change because i'm fallin in love this little thang![emoji41]

Hi I'm new to the forum. Anyway i have a highly boosted p3s rc. I've been looking into upgrading the antennas in the bird it's self . What frequency are they ? What have you been successful with ? Thanks !!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 596
Hi I'm new to the forum. Anyway i have a highly boosted p3s rc. I've been looking into upgrading the antennas in the bird it's self . What frequency are they ? What have you been successful with ? Thanks !!!!!
The video down link antennas 2.4g are under the main board and battery cage. This is fed from the camera. The 5.8g antennas are in the landing legs, fed from the main board for RC to Bird control. Another leg houses the infamous compass. I have been experimenting with Argtek which let's me hook up the DBS easily. I tried using the Alfa 10db antennas on the Argtek setup. So far Alfa and DBS is about the same. 5800 feet. To boost the 2.4g video down link to 27db, get the magic power 5.3. Software. Need a WiFi laptop to install on RC and bird. Haven't done it yet.

Josh Carter That's my setup do you have a link or perhaps . Or maybe a simple list of what I need for birdside antennas. I apologize for my ignorance your reply is so fact filled it was overwhelming.

Got a chance to get the standard back out into the air. Doing some different stuff with it, it definitely belongs on this thread and I can repost to here or you can just check out what I'm doing over here and then comment back here
Birdside antenna mod version 2.0.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl