This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Hey db if you can could you post a video of how you do your preflight setup and how you point antenna when in flight? Also do you power the rc before the sunhans or sunhans first? Anxious to see results on your next flight!!!

Yes , I think thats next cause while I would like to test all (4) dipoles I havent got the pigtails yet and I'm currently testing some bats that are giving amazing flight times on the Standard and I need to convert that to mileage!!!
So I will test that helical/dbs combo w/ spironet antenna instead of dipole tomorrow if that doesnt get me past 30000 then its back to stock bird!!View attachment 50478View attachment 50480

A distance-irrelevant question!How you keep 100% battery health with 28 charges and I have 97% with 14?

I may be able to do sumping like that although it would bore you[emoji41]
CAUTION:
Be **** sure you turn on your boosters by powering up a fresh charged booster battery BEFORE you power on your controller!
The way I understand it not having the boosters powered up is like not having the antennas on which will fry your controller

db, would a 16 turn work on my standard? Can that replace my 5.8 antenna here, or would it make no difference? Long Range kit for P3Standard - FPVLR
We'll try these two setups in the same path tomorrow
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460589316.621545.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460589329.735304.jpg

o_OAt what point do you just say...stop? :confused:

Reactions: rubbadadolphin
I may be able to do sumping like that although it would bore you[emoji41]
CAUTION:
Be **** sure you turn on your boosters by powering up a fresh charged booster battery BEFORE you power on your controller!
The way I understand it not having the boosters powered up is like not having the antennas on which will fry your controller
Would be awesome to see....seriously doubt it would be boring to me. Every little bit I see or read is more knowledge and know how. Believe it or not when I fly with friends I enjoy watching them setup...I like to see it to get tips and to try new ways of setting up and flying.

Good to know about the boosters...never knew that but now I know!! Thanks DB

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirtybum
o_OAt what point do you just say...stop? :confused:
No.......
I've been reading along since the beginning and although I have no intentions on doing any modifications to my kit, I've been very impressed with what DB has been able to accomplish with his standard.

They are different batteries? Elaborate please!

The classic battery the Standard has.How you treat it?

/ontopic
Of course not like your numbers but it was my first so distant flight.With this I totally understood that flight field plays a great role.I got this distance,only with a windsurfer,while my second best was only 2700ft.
This is about 4100 in feet.I think it could go better with more altitude and aiming,but I'm still happy that I passed the 1km barrier.Keep up the good work dirtybum!

ffe7a8a69c2665e982ce811124a43c93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Woh that looks insane db, and please don't stop!!!
Stop what? This is not an act or a performance I am doing to show off for you guys! I do this kinda stuff day in/out any way. I try new stuff constantly! Most of it dont work but I'm able to draw conclusions and have fun with some serious results. I'm happy to post it and get some great ideas back from all of you[emoji41]

DB, do you have a PayPal account? I would like to send you some testing funds....lol. Seriously.
o_OI have a Paypal account! I would like some testing funds! ;)

Sidenote to Dirk: I did 9000 ft in my little P2V this morning, I will hit 2 miles tomorrow morning, bank it. :grinning:
Screenshot or it ain't true ;)

The classic battery the Standard has.How you treat it?

/ontopic
Of course not like your numbers but it was my first so distant flight.With this I totally understood that flight field plays a great role.I got this distance,only with a windsurfer,while my second best was only 2700ft.
This is about 4100 in feet.I think it could go better with more altitude and aiming,but I'm still happy that I passed the 1km barrier.Keep up the good work dirtybum!

ffe7a8a69c2665e982ce811124a43c93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thats how ya do it Stav! I started flyin one year ago w/ p2v+ & i remember very clearly getting 4000' w/ a couple mods thinking that its so **** far out there and it was[emoji41] keep it going if you get a kick outa that feeling.

These bats are expensive but theyre expendable. When they start acting up cause you run em down to 5% time to toss em.

CAUTION:
Okay can we talk about this for a second?

Check this thread:

HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

In it, the OP [EDIT: POST #6] suggests it may be best to leave the wifi amp turned off while you turn on the controller. And although he's discussing P2's, if the P2 RE is capable of damaging the amp, then it seems to me a P3 would be more capable of burning out an amp.

The problem is, you're going to think the transmitter might get fried since the amp is turned off and the transmitting signal doesn't have an antenna. But somebody else posted in yet another thread that that wouldn't happen because the signal would be absorbed by the amp, even though the amp is turned off.

OTOH, you DB have tons of experience which I think overrides a lot of theory and speculation.

Comments?

Last edited:
Okay can we talk about this for a second?

Check this thread:

HOW-TO: Antenna Modifications - Improve Your Distance

In it, the OP suggests it may be best to leave the wifi booster turned off while you turn on the controller. And although he's discussing P2's, if the P2 RE is capable of damaging the amp, then it seems to me a P3 would be more capable of burning out an amp.

The problem is, you're going to think the transmitter might get fried since the amp is turned off and the transmitting signal doesn't have an antenna. But somebody else posted in yet another thread that that wouldn't happen because the signal would be absorbed by the amp, even though the amp is turned off.

OTOH, you DB have tons of experience which I think overrides a lot of theory and speculation.

Comments?
Yeah, I would follow his advise before mine, I've only been using amps for any bird since November, and thats why I said "from what i understand" I dont know it for fact, Tony from FPVLR told me this when he replaced a amp for me, i figure if he says it could ruin it he knows more about signals than I! But the signal being absorbed by the amp was the exact comment I said to him at that time cause that just makes sense. Either way I always make sure everything plugged in and on. Thanks Mark

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel