This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

DB go try it right now!!!!! Lol[/
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460559949.950732.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460559999.006706.jpg

You mean like this!!
Well I cant say that this helped, but it didnt degrade it much either so its a tie!
I did notice at least at first the wifi seemed to like it, but the control signal was going up and down a LOT sooner than the original way.
So I think the control signal did not like it, and as you predicted it was slightly more directional up-and-down and left and right. It seemed like it was harder to keep it locked on contact. I still went out 23,000+ ft, like yesterday,and still had the same amount of signal drops, maybe slightly more, with the same strong interference
Messages! Both yesterday and today could very well be the path I was flying though, even though with light bridge I've gone 7 miles on this path with no issues, but this is Wi-Fi.

Hey you had to at least give it a try! Well done!

I mean, you shouldn't see much difference in the control since control is 5.8 and presumably all the interference is 2.4 wifi. But you're forced to go horizontal on the control anyway since ITELITE is a one panel.

In other words, using horizontal polarity in a wifi heavy environment, the FPV should be better, and the 5.8 should be about the same.

And that makes me wonder what would happen with a nice long FPVLR helical on 5.8, and ITELITE on 2.4. These are the things I think about while I lay in bed at night...

Sidenote to Dirk: I did 9000 ft in my little P2V this morning, I will hit 2 miles tomorrow morning, bank it. :grinning:

Reactions: dirkclod
Hell yeah on that vision run!
I noted that I DID think the wi-fi signal WAS a little stronger (at least at first) and yeah the dipoles, from all that I understand about them through talking with Tony the creator of them and for my own testing with the P2 series, are not supposed to be facing down like that ever. The signal just doesn't work that way with those dipoles. But it was worth a shot and that may have just as much a reason for the control signal problems as tilting the panel vertical did.
For the Vision series,for distance, I've shared with you guys in the past but I've tried everything and I found the best answer to be a long helical for control and a double 2.4 itelite panel for Wi-Fi
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460560938.496809.jpg

I think I'll test that combo out on the standard tomorrow in the same flight path

Reactions: Mark The Droner
****! What is that, a 16-17 turn? I didn't even know they made them that long! All I got is a 11-12 turn FPVLR.

Ib crazy 15 turn. Its a real good control signal antenna ($50)
But I've also tried it for 5.8 video/audio antenna and it didn't do that great. So I just use it for control antenna, I'll try that tomorrow.because it seems like most of my issues with the standard is the control signal

Note: on the bird w/ that setup i use 5.8 mushrooms & 2.4 dipoles

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Wow thats a cool setup!

Why the dbs sideways/vertical??

Hell yeah on that vision run!
I noted that I DID think the wi-fi signal WAS a little stronger (at least at first) and yeah the dipoles, from all that I understand about them through talking with Tony the creator of them and for my own testing with the P2 series, are not supposed to be facing down like that ever. The signal just doesn't work that way with those dipoles. But it was worth a shot and that may have just as much a reason for the control signal problems as tilting the panel vertical did.
For the Vision series,for distance, I've shared with you guys in the past but I've tried everything and I found the best answer to be a long helical for control and a double 2.4 itelite panel for Wi-FiView attachment 50451
I think I'll test that combo out on the standard tomorrow in the same flight path

Hey DB! Thats an interesting test.
so ive been thinking, since its not recommended to point antennas down like that ever,
what if you point the antennas in the direction of your RC, and not down towards the ground?
so the antennas are still in horizontal position, but point backwards facing you?
something like in this picture:
DipolesPosition2.jpg
Im not sure if its gonna make any difference, but what if does???:eek:

So...next test...stock bird antennas. ..dbs boosted!!!??? See if you can get your old distance back? Man I'm getting excited with all these tests lol

I'm going to make some antenna brackets for the dbs out of carbon fiber... i am going to try to mount in different positions. ..thanks a lot DB...I'm getting the distance itch

Hey DB! Thats an interesting test.
so ive been thinking, since its not recommended to point antennas down like that ever,
what if you point the antennas in the direction of your RC, and not down towards the ground?
so the antennas are still in horizontal position, but point backwards facing you?
something like in this picture:
View attachment 50477
Im not sure if its gonna make any difference, but what if does???:eek:
The "tips" of the dipoles ( in theory and design) are supposed to be facing the top and bottom of bird and NOT to exceed 30° from vertical.
So the way i flew it this morning and the illustrations you made are suppose to be a no-no.

So...next test...stock bird antennas. ..dbs boosted!!!??? See if you can get your old distance back? Man I'm getting excited with all these tests lol
Yes , I think thats next cause while I would like to test all (4) dipoles I havent got the pigtails yet and I'm currently testing some bats that are giving amazing flight times on the Standard and I need to convert that to mileage!!!
So I will test that helical/dbs combo w/ spironet antenna instead of dipole tomorrow if that doesnt get me past 30000 then its back to stock bird!!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460567267.937251.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460567281.153262.jpg

I'm going to make some antenna brackets for the dbs out of carbon fiber... i am going to try to mount in different positions. ..thanks a lot DB...I'm getting the distance itch
Do that S**t Pro97! You may find the next "big thang"!

NEW Video Aerial Systems 5.8GHz RHCP 16 Turn Helical Antenna 15.5db gain Green
Bet you could contact seller & offer a buy it now for 20 bucks.
Either way this is the cheapest I've seen them. They have a 90° on theirs, I would contact seller and ask if that's removable, unless that's the way it works for you, you could always bring your pigtail right out the front of the remote and use that 90°
db, would a 16 turn work on my standard? Can that replace my 5.8 antenna here, or would it make no difference? Long Range kit for P3Standard - FPVLR

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews