Thinking of Using a Radio Tower to Fly Higher

Reaction score
So I'm considering getting a high altitude shot of my city using the "400ft over a structure within 400ft radius" rule in Part 107. Thing is, this structure is a massive 1,526ft (corrected), 48kW UHF/VHF radio tower. I've seen many videos of people flying near these with no issues, but I'm still a bit wary of flying within 400ft that kind of power output even if it is a far lower frequency than 2.4GHz. I was a radio technician many moons ago, but I'm no RF engineer. Any input so I can identify and weigh the risks??

Last edited:
Not the same type of transmission signal but it didn't stop ole Ken...

So I'm considering getting a high altitude shot of my city using the "400ft over a structure within 400ft radius" rule in Part 107. Thing is, this structure is a massive 1,890ft, 48kW UHF/VHF radio tower. I've seen many videos of people flying near these with no issues, but I'm still a bit wary of flying within 400ft that kind of power output even if it is a far lower frequency than 2.4GHz. I was a radio technician many moons ago, but I'm no RF engineer. Any input so I can identify and weigh the risks??

Yeah, I think your greatest risk is front-end overload on the drone receiver, not a frequency conflict. I guess the only way to find out is to fly it! :)

Reactions: jofus
Curious as to where that would be. The tallest I see in the Huntsville area is 1,526 AGL about 12NM ENE of KHSV.

That's the one. Looks like wikipedia has the incorrect height!

Any where to find the rules on flying close to these towers I live in east tn and we have quit a few tall towers I would like to fly but worried about the consequences of doing it illegally

Any where to find the rules on flying close to these towers I live in east tn and we have quit a few tall towers I would like to fly but worried about the consequences of doing it illegally

It's addressed in the Part 107 rules for commercial sUAS pilots. I don't think there's anything that addresses it for recreational flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT