THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

Two things to consider. Gains in GPS figures might be a little low causing the quad to react slowly to the loss of altitude.

Secondly the P2 uses a barometer to determine height. I'm sure gusts cause pretty significant changes in barometric pressure.

Justin, did these drops happen consistently or just once or twice. If the second, then keep in mind that, apart from moving laterally, air also moves up and down and vice versa. This means that, specially near mountains or next to a tall building, your craft may suddenly get forced down by these dropping columns of air (downdrafts) as wind gets deflected by that building or when cold air comes rolling down the mountain side. These downdrafts also occur in passing thunder cells, but likely that was not the case here.

So it's not so much the wind or lack of lift (stalling) that causes these particular drops, but the fact that the air your craft is in is falling and pulling your craft down with it.

If your craft does this consistently, even without these downdrafts, i.e. in a gentle breeze, then you may have a technical issue. Listen for the prop sound; does it remain the same volume as the craft falls or does it spool down suddenly to low revs? This will give you a clue. If the second, then likely it's a technical issue.

Edit: name and stuff.

justin00 said:
Perhaps not really for the guide, more so common sense... but might help some new pilots (like myself, all though I was just doing some testing... familiar, or so I thought with aerodynamics on planes)

Flying in constant low-med winds... not to bad...
Flying in gusting conditions... the ol girl might drop like a stone X amount of feet....

Wasn't even that Gusty.... but it was dropping alll over the place in the gusts... Went from 20 feet to 3 feet in a blink of an eye (this was on GPS mode, 9 sats).. came back up again to height, but really had to struggle right after the gust, thought It was a goner actually :(

I was quite surprised.. I understand how low pressure/reduced airflow over wings can cause a drop, but didn't think a quadcopter would be susceptible to that ?

Watch out for my next updated version (should be available soon). I've added, among a lot of other very cool things, a link on Flying in High Wind-Tips & Instructions.

Hi everyone,

Latest version of THE guide (v. Oct-01-2014) is now available and you don't want to miss it!

You asked for it...I delivered: :p
THE Guide is now Printer/Hole-punch/Staple friendly!!!!
I had to work hard to reformat/repaginate/readjust everything to make it fit. :geek:

Also, I added a bunch of very cool video/tutorial links and new info all over the place.
Minor corrections here and there.

Be sure to download it otherwise you're missing something :)

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safely and Take Care.

singapore_phantom said:
Simply awesome list, Fantomas. Thank for your time and effort.

Couple of points if I may. After the Phantom has been submerged in sea water, you'll greatly improve your chances for a full recovery by submerging it fully in fresh water as soon as possible after the dunking and swaying it back and forth while in the water and turning it over a few times. This gets rid of all of the stubborn air bubbles and thus all tiny pockets of salt water that later will result in corrosion. "Bathe" the craft like this for less than a minute and then submerge it in a container filled with rubbing alcohol for a short while, this time making sure you get rid of all pockets of fresh water.

For good measure, leave the unit in a container filled with uncooked rice for a few days, i.e. it has to be covered from head to toe. No peeking. Shaking the container gently every so often is good. Once done, use an air pump to eliminate the rice grains and rice fragments from the craft.

Removing the battery and taking apart the shell beforehand is advisable, yes.

The mere rinsing/air-con method may work too, but not as well as the rubbing alcohol/rice approach. I've found that rinsing doesn't allow the water to get into all inner nooks and crannies. And the air-con cools all components and what-nots until they're quite cold. These then tend to spawn water beads by condensation.

By the way, I'm not sure if this is covered in your guide, but some time ago, I read about this company that applies some synthetic material on electronic circuitry, rendering it all waterproof. Any of our fellow Phantom-flyers know a bit more about this?

Cheers.

Good advices. I've updated THE guide.

Thanks Fantomas. And well done on the periodic upgrades. It's beginning to look like your tome may never be finished :) But that's a good thing eh.

In fact, I have a few suggestions that could also be included. But I'm going to go back to the current contents first to make sure it's not already covered. Besides, it's a great little exercise, because it's true, each time you read it, you learn something new.

Cheers.

singapore_phantom said:
Thanks Fantomas. And well done on the periodic upgrades. It's beginning to look like your tome may never be finished :) But that's a good thing eh.

In fact, I have a few suggestions that could also be included. But I'm going to go back to the current contents first to make sure it's not already covered. Besides, it's a great little exercise, because it's true, each time you read it, you learn something new.

Cheers.

Never be finished...? :shock: My wife is gonna leave me :cry:
Nahhhhh she loves me too much and she knows I'm a perfectionist.

New suggestions are ALWAYS welcome, soooo shoot!
I really want this thing to become THE ultimate guide for Phantom owners.

Cheers

Some interesting info thanks :)

Yeah just happened once or twice after big big gusts.... so pretty sure if doesnt have any tech issues. Thanks for heads up

singapore_phantom said:
Justin, did these drops happen consistently or just once or twice. If the second, then keep in mind that, apart from moving laterally, air also moves up and down and vice versa. This means that, specially near mountains or next to a tall building, your craft may suddenly get forced down by these dropping columns of air (downdrafts) as wind gets deflected by that building or when cold air comes rolling down the mountain side. These downdrafts also occur in passing thunder cells, but likely that was not the case here.

So it's not so much the wind or lack of lift (stalling) that causes these particular drops, but the fact that the air your craft is in is falling and pulling your craft down with it.

If your craft does this consistently, even without these downdrafts, i.e. in a gentle breeze, then you may have a technical issue. Listen for the prop sound; does it remain the same volume as the craft falls or does it spool down suddenly to low revs? This will give you a clue. If the second, then likely it's a technical issue.

Edit: name and stuff.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your browser. :)

There's a new version of THE guide (v. Oct-07-2014) and it's available right NOW.

I added a bunch of very cool video/tutorial links and new info.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0

Excellent, Fantomas. Thanks for that.

By the way, I came across this: " Keep an eye on your flight parameters while flying; control sticks are quite sensible." I think you mean "sensitive" rather than sensible. Small matter, but might as well go for perfection eh.

Cheers.

singapore_phantom said:
Excellent, Fantomas. Thanks for that.

By the way, I came across this: " Keep an eye on your flight parameters while flying; control sticks are quite sensible." I think you mean "sensitive" rather than sensible. Small matter, but might as well go for perfection eh.

Cheers.

:eek: You are right. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Any suggestion on what I could add to THE guide to make it even more "perfect"?

And to all of you out there who thinks this guide is very useful and helped them understand their Phantom a bit better, I need to know if you want me to go on with my daily...hmmmm...weekly updates. :?: A simple LIKE "a la" Facebook will do. ;)

Your friendly, Fantomas.

wow your updating these are record speed.
it really is much appreciated :)

Had an idea you might of thought of already... bit of extra work for you.. for not much gain (well getting to that part)
butttt... why don't you turn this into an app (not sure if you can downlod a pdf from app store (and what ever apple's is called).. Main advantages of this is.. we can all read this from our phones (those of us who want to, on the train, on the toilet etc etc lol :p) without having to upload/downlod the PDF onto phone.
Also.. when you release an update we will get notified.. but yeah might be a fair bit of extra work for you.. perhaps if you like the idea some, generous app builder here can turn it into an app for you for free ? Hmm I spose app store has e-books... an e-book is surely easier to create than an app..

another option.. and I really doubt you are in it for the money.. as you spend your valuable time, doing this for free!!! so its clearly evidant you aren't in it for the money lol.. but if this was an app or e-book you could charge for it and make a few extra bucks... If it cost like $1 or what ever (it is obiously worth much much more, but if you wanted to make it real cheap) $1 should be affordable for most, considering they spent $1000+ on the Phantom, and it would generate some extra money for you to buy yourself some goodies.

Anyways thanks again for going to all the effort you do to update this :) It is hard to keep up!

Any generous app builder out there?

justin00 said:
wow your updating these are record speed.
it really is much appreciated :)

Had an idea you might of thought of already... bit of extra work for you.. for not much gain (well getting to that part)
butttt... why don't you turn this into an app...

Agree completely on the usefulness of the existing work but wondering what you see the app doing? Stuff like a search feature and a clickable table of contents? Currently the author has a single document to update and it is available as a single click hyperlink to us. Easy for everyone on any platorm. Not knocking your idea but just asking.

To be honest I was just thinking of an app because if its on the play store we can easily be notified of an update and its an easy way to get it on the phone..
Obviously we could just read this thread to see if any updates and download it via the link.. an App would be pointless anyways, as yeah, it has no functionality, an ebook would be much better. All though if it was an app/ebook he could make a few bucks on the side from sales.

but yeah... online version with clickable link works to, with exception of the money part..

Kind of is a silly idea, bit overkill..

For what its worth though, had a quick look and looks like you can easily convert a PDF to ebook for using free apps.

First... big thanks to Fantomas for putting this guide together. It has been very helpful in forming an understanding of my Vision+ before I even received it. It came in the mail yesterday and have a couple of questions before taking her in the air for the first time this weekend...

I have connected the remote to my PC and changed the mode to FCC, I presume I don't have to do anything with the screws on the back as well?

The official manual is very explicit that Naza-M should only be used by experienced pilots, but having read your guide it seems to offer important functions that may be critical on any flight. Would you recommend going straight to Naza-M if a beginner knows to keep toggles in upright position when starting and only use them as required / if understand the functionality?

While I will take a second read through the doco, I want a 1-2 page 'tip sheet' to use as a quick reference as reminder and in case of emergency. Has anyone seen something that condenses some of the core info in this guide to something smaller?

Fantomas said:
Hi everyone,

Latest version of THE guide (v. Oct-01-2014) is now available and you don't want to miss it!

You asked for it...I delivered: :p
THE Guide is now Printer/Hole-punch/Staple friendly!!!!
I had to work hard to reformat/repaginate/readjust everything to make it fit. :geek:

Also, I added a bunch of very cool video/tutorial links and new info all over the place.

Here's the link:

Great job! Thanks.

Great Job with this - I have it on my ipad in the newstand and can refer to it anytime - the NAZA-m explanation is
one of the best Ive seen WTG!

j0seph said:
First... big thanks to Fantomas for putting this guide together. It has been very helpful in forming an understanding of my Vision+ before I even received it. It came in the mail yesterday and have a couple of questions before taking her in the air for the first time this weekend...

I have connected the remote to my PC and changed the mode to FCC, I presume I don't have to do anything with the screws on the back as well?

The official manual is very explicit that Naza-M should only be used by experienced pilots, but having read your guide it seems to offer important functions that may be critical on any flight. Would you recommend going straight to Naza-M if a beginner knows to keep toggles in upright position when starting and only use them as required / if understand the functionality?

While I will take a second read through the doco, I want a 1-2 page 'tip sheet' to use as a quick reference as reminder and in case of emergency. Has anyone seen something that condenses some of the core info in this guide to something smaller?

Even if DJI says not to do it before you've got some flying experiences, the first thing I did when I got my Phantom was to switch Naza/IOC on. You have so much more options when it's on. BUTTTTTTTT, please, be sure you understand what will happen if you do!!!

In Naza/IOC mode, if you ALWAYS MAKE SURE both switches are in the UPPER position, you ARE flying as if you were in Phantom mode. But if something bad happens, you have way much more options available to recover your craft safely. Have a look at my "Be prepared for the worst" section for more info.

I really like your suggestion about a 1-2 page tip sheet. Let me see what I can do.

Great work fantomas!!! There's been loads of updates since I last read it, looking forward to another reading. Keep up the good work !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18