The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1780m=5840ft +)

Re: The Ultimate FC40 FPV Mod (Update 1410m=4625ft+)

Wedeliver said:
Ok, I am baaack.. Today I hope to do as iivii has recommended. Then I will fly and see if the info is all there. I have a feeling it is going to be great. I do seem to have an issue with the arrow in flight pro pointing the direction the quad is pointing. I need to get a better feel for how that all works. it seems that if I move my tab or phone I an change that pointer so I am not sure it is supposed to be showing me which way I am facing.. (does that make sense?)(if I can't figure it out I will explain my issue)

wb Wedeliver ,

to calibrate the small arrow on the map section do the following :

with the split screen view is active --> click on the small auto icon (look at the attached pic) --> then a list will appear choose the first option it's called ( Set Drone location and compass ) then set it the way u want it :cool:

Attachments

• 4HzMAO (1).JPG
    4HzMAO (1).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 508
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your great accomplishment! I just got my FC40 and will try these mods little by little. First thing I need to do is extend my wifi camera and I really like your compact set up. Question though: How are you powering your mini repeater and amplifier? I'm guessing they both run off of 5v supply?

Oliver84 said:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your great accomplishment! I just got my FC40 and will try these mods little by little. First thing I need to do is extend my wifi camera and I really like your compact set up. Question though: How are you powering your mini repeater and amplifier? I'm guessing they both run off of 5v supply?

i'm using a power bank battery attached under the controller with 3 outputs (5v USB / 12v 2A / 19v 4A) .. the 2.5w amp works on 12v .

First off, I'm a FC40 newbie and this post has been incredibly helpful with modding. Thanks for your contributions!

For my first mod, I'd simply like to extend the stock capabilities for range. I'd like to do the AR stuff at some point, but right now I'm trying to keep budget/time low.

Can you further explain this comment?
This's my new pilot end configuration: TP-Link 703 + Sunhans 2.5w booster + Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi panel antenna+ 5.8ghz 11dbi panel antenna

Do you absolutely need teh Sunhans booster, or just run the TP-Link 703 with the Alfa 2.4Ghz antenna?
What exactly is the 5.8Ghz 11dbi panel? I don't see a brand or where to get that.

Ultimately, can I do what you did but just minus the booster for now to keep my costs low?

Thanks!

archangelo said:
First off, I'm a FC40 newbie and this post has been incredibly helpful with modding. Thanks for your contributions!

For my first mod, I'd simply like to extend the stock capabilities for range. I'd like to do the AR stuff at some point, but right now I'm trying to keep budget/time low.

This's my new pilot end configuration: TP-Link 703 + Sunhans 2.5w booster + Alfa 2.4ghz 7dbi panel antenna+ 5.8ghz 11dbi panel antenna

Do you absolutely need teh Sunhans booster, or just run the TP-Link 703 with the Alfa 2.4Ghz antenna?
What exactly is the 5.8Ghz 11dbi panel? I don't see a brand or where to get that.

Ultimately, can I do what you did but just minus the booster for now to keep my costs low?

Thanks!

This is the thread you want to be in
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6866&start=80#p167487

Thanks for the post dragonash. I did see that thread before, but I am really interested in this setup. Although I don't want to do the full mod now, I do in the future. I guess I'm trying to understand if I should go with this pilot setup or just use the TP-LINK TL-MR3040 and mod the antennae. Thanks for the help.

archangelo said:

Thanks!

well the tp-link MR3040 would be a better choice , unless u r plannin' to add a booster :)

both 6v and 12v Sunhans boosters need at least 2 amps to work properly .. and i believe the MR3040 has only 5VDC/1A output so that won't cut it .. that's why i went with the 703 .

archangelo said:
What exactly is the 5.8Ghz 11dbi panel?

it's a non branded chinese made $7 antenna that works well on 5.8ghz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-5-8Ghz-11dB ... 25811279c4

IIVII said:
R0tten said:
how much flight time did you actually get from the 5400mah ? Thanks in advance.

With everything on-board total weight around 1200g i got 19-20 mins .. with the stock FC40 configuration i got 25-26 mins .. both tests with 9" original vision props.

Thanks, just exactly what I wanted to know! A few more questions, if you would allow, please.

so, the 1200g was not with the stock equipment?
how was the extra weight, did the quad struggle even a little bit?

I have a stock FC40 and am thinking about the below, but am concerned about weight/stability (it would be almost 1200grams):
6000mah - $48.57 - 481g -

R0tten said:
IIVII said:
R0tten said:
how much flight time did you actually get from the 5400mah ? Thanks in advance.

With everything on-board total weight around 1200g i got 19-20 mins .. with the stock FC40 configuration i got 25-26 mins .. both tests with 9" original vision props.

Thanks, just exactly what I wanted to know! A few more questions, if you would allow, please.

so, the 1200g was not with the stock equipment?
how was the extra weight, did the quad struggle even a little bit?

I have a stock FC40 and am thinking about the below, but am concerned about weight/stability (it would be almost 1200grams):
6000mah - $48.57 - 481g -

i've done a lot of long range flights with the 1200g configuration and the quad flew perfect .. as long as u r under 1300g u'll be fine , just make sure u add the 9" original vision props to the mix , they'll take care of the extra weight and give ya the needed lift ..

Re: The Ultimate FC40 Mod OSD/2cams/mobile,LapTop FPV & more

garrock said:
IIVII said:
... probably add a booster and external antenna to it ...
I watched the video; a clever mod !

If you decide to install an antenna mod on the ARD2 Main Board, I will donate a Wheel Antenna Kit and also install the connector for free too. Just send your MB to me. USPS is two days each way.

This is a great mod. I recently got an FC40 as a gift and like it but have wanted telemetry and ability to do fpv with maps. Given the costs and limits of phantom fpv solutions, this mod looks like the perfect setup. A higher res camera on the AR Drone would be nice but I guess we can't have everything.

I found a broken ardrone 2.0 on craigslist and took it out of the case last night. Also got the Navistick 2g and modded it to work with the drone. Everything works standalone. All I have to do attach it to the phantom and mod my FC40 transmitter for external antennas to increase my range. I'll be working on that this week and doing some range tests

Garrock does your donation offer to IIVII still stand for an Ar Drone board antenna mod and patch antenna install? I'd take you up on it since I'm not too confident in my soldering skills with such small electronics and I'd like to see what range I get with your antenna as well as some external antennas that I will be attaching to a Kindle Fire. Maybe I can beat IIVII's distance :)

Here is a screen shot of IIVII's mod working on my Phantom FC40. (actually I have the mod as a stand alone piece of equipment, powered by the Phantom battery when onboard and powered by an AR Drone battery when on not on the Phantom but being used as my gonotpro gps, camera device. (I can see this being helmet mountable with lots of data and video recording) AR Drone battery lasts for several hours when it as no motors to push.

I have not flown with the attached mod yet. Hopefully I will today or tomorrow. I am having an issue getting split screen on my Kindle, works fine on my phone, but no sat view yet the screen shows the drone but does not give a google view. And when in full screen mode I do not see 4 check boxes at the top of the screen just to, hdg and trk I and the screen has no sat view.

I have purchased another gps device and I will shorty have 2 of these mods, if someone is interested in getting one that is built, give me a shout.

Attachments

• 20140629_105730.jpeg
    20140629_105730.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 592
Re: The Ultimate FC40 Mod OSD/2cams/mobile,LapTop FPV & more

brzez said:
garrock said:
IIVII said:
... probably add a booster and external antenna to it ...
I watched the video; a clever mod !

If you decide to install an antenna mod on the ARD2 Main Board, I will donate a Wheel Antenna Kit and also install the connector for free too. Just send your MB to me. USPS is two days each way.

This is a great mod. I recently got an FC40 as a gift and like it but have wanted telemetry and ability to do fpv with maps. Given the costs and limits of phantom fpv solutions, this mod looks like the perfect setup. A higher res camera on the AR Drone would be nice but I guess we can't have everything.

I found a broken ardrone 2.0 on craigslist and took it out of the case last night. Also got the Navistick 2g and modded it to work with the drone. Everything works standalone. All I have to do attach it to the phantom and mod my FC40 transmitter for external antennas to increase my range. I'll be working on that this week and doing some range tests

Garrock does your donation offer to IIVII still stand for an Ar Drone board antenna mod and patch antenna install? I'd take you up on it since I'm not too confident in my soldering skills with such small electronics and I'd like to see what range I get with your antenna as well as some external antennas that I will be attaching to a Kindle Fire. Maybe I can beat IIVII's distance :)

Sounds like you are moving along quickly. Just remember that the FC40 camera and the AR drone mod cannot use wifi at the same time.

Since AR drone mod gives such great info and it can all be recorded I think any fly away or out of sight crash would not be a problem since it would be easy to find the drone.

How are you containing your mod? How are you mounting it? I have mine attached to the frame that I took out of the body, I attached it with velcro both to the bottom and I wrap a strap around the whole quad to hold it secure. It looks like IIVII has his flat.

Attachments

• 20140602_163832.jpg
    20140602_163832.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 523
I'm not planning to use the FC40 camera at the same time and it will not be on the Phantom to save weight. If I ever do use it, it will be only in record mode.

The FC40 camera is better than the AR Drone camera but not by an order of magnitude so I'm ok with it. My main goals for this mod are telemetry so I can do more exploring with the drone as well as ability to have last know gps location on a map in case it flies away (assuming I'm within camera tx range) or crashes/lands unexpectedly. Another goal is to get more into fpv flying. If it works out well and I get good at it, I'll probably upgrade to a better system at some point in the future.

Regarding mounting it, I'd like to do what IIVII did and keep the whole system as compact as possible. I've been looking at some carbon fiber gimbal mount plates on ebay. I realize that the Phantom's vibration needs to be isolated and the mount needs to be very secure and close to the underbody of the phantom (to minimize damage in case of crashes). I'll probably experiment with some cardboard and plastic from tupperware before I buy anything.

I have some free time this week, so I'll see what I can come up with and will post pictures and results hopefully by the end of the week.

brzez said:
I'm not planning to use the FC40 camera at the same time and it will not be on the Phantom to save weight. If I ever do use it, it will be only in record mode.

The FC40 camera is better than the AR Drone camera but not by an order of magnitude so I'm ok with it. My main goals for this mod are telemetry so I can do more exploring with the drone as well as ability to have last know gps location on a map in case it flies away (assuming I'm within camera tx range) or crashes/lands unexpectedly. Another goal is to get more into fpv flying. If it works out well and I get good at it, I'll probably upgrade to a better system at some point in the future.

Regarding mounting it, I'd like to do what IIVII did and keep the whole system as compact as possible. I've been looking at some carbon fiber gimbal mount plates on ebay. I realize that the Phantom's vibration needs to be isolated and the mount needs to be very secure and close to the underbody of the phantom (to minimize damage in case of crashes). I'll probably experiment with some cardboard and plastic from tupperware before I buy anything.

I have some free time this week, so I'll see what I can come up with and will post pictures and results hopefully by the end of the week.

I agree completely. Since my first flight not having Battery info has bothered me, then IIVII came up with this mod and the information is fantastic and under appreciated I think. I have driven around with the mod on my dash and it works great! Having the ability to see where I go down, as will happen at some point in the future. Darn short life span of the battery and my desire to fly fpv as far away as I can, sooner or later the battery will catch up with me. I did have one time already when aggressive flying drained the battery much quicker then normal and the quad landed. Lucky I was flying not far away. I posted a pic of my rig, using the whole plastic assembly from the ar drone body, whats yours look like. I will probably be flying with both cameras at some point since photography is what got me here. good luck with your mod

Here's my connection. Board led is off. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404368385.039331.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404368385.039331.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 504
gabimaor said:

I am not sure if I understand. so the led light that blinks (on the phantom) is not working since you made this power connector mod? Is that what you mean? I used the extra power cables that are inside the shell. I can take a picture in a while if you need to see it. Otherwise use a few more words and perhaps we can offer an solution.

gabimaor said:

gabimaor

double check the power connection and make sure u have the wires as follows:

Batt Red + <--> Ar.Drone Red +
Batt Black - <--> Ar.Drone Black -

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member