Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

The Pixels have attacked my P3P

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Foosy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Foosy

Don't know what happened. Up until today, I have had very good video and control flying the P3P.
    Today, it seemed that the Pixels attacked my drone. I was not disconnected, but the video was breaking, significantly delayed and pixelated, and that with the bird hovering 4ft away from me.

Turned it off and on again, went to a different location - same thing.
    Also, I closed all the apps on my iPad Air 2 but it didn't help. The delay was like 3 seconds, with a broken pixelated image.
    The only thing that was different today, is that it was really hot outside. Don't know if that had an impact, but regardless, in this state it is completely useless.

Any ideas?

2. Charmande

Overheating will cause exactly what you're experiencing. Ensure whatever device you're using to view your drones video is not in a case and has good ventilation. A sunshade also wouldn't hurt to keep the sun directly off of the device and reduce glare. Try flying later in the afternoon when the sun is setting or early in the morning and you'll notice there's absolutely nothing wrong with your drone just a by product of overheating.

Bill7259 likes this.
  3. Foosy

So, you are saying the problem is with the iPad Air 2 being too hot?

4. Charmande

Yes, absolutely. I have an iPad Mini 3 and it does the same thing if I try flying during the hottest parts of the day. I even had my iPad completely shut off and issue an warning saying it was too hot to operate. During the summer it will happen a lot but there's nothing wrong with either device. It's just your iPad getting too hot.

Bill7259 likes this.
  5. snerd

iPad Air 2 operating ambient temps:

32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

It can start acting funny at or above that upper limit. I flew in the shade @ 104 day before, and had nothing negative happen. But I knew I was pushing the heat limit, and was expecting it. We'll have many days over 105 here in summer, so I'll be doing a lot of flying at dawn and dusk (same with my photography). I don't use a cover on my iPad, because it won't fit in the holder with it on. But it's just as well, as that wouldn't help the heat situation any. I believe the Phantom 3 is rated up to 104 degrees, so it will be pushing the bird too. Try to keep in shade with a breeze, is about all I can suggest.

6. Incognito

with all these heat problems im really surprised nobody has come up with a fan assisted sunshade

Julius717 likes this.
  7. dhaslam

Because flights are only for a fairly short period a cool pack would do. Ideally the pack would use a material with a phase change in the thirties centigrade. That way it would reset itself without having to use a fridge. The cpu is the critical component and tablets seem to malfunction somewhere around 70C.

8. Ezookiel

Think I'll stick to my P2 and Black Pearl then, if even the bird can't handle more than 104F, as I live in Australia, and in sunlight, the bird would easily get above those temps.
    I've never had a problem with the P2, even on a fully hot sunny day, and my P2 is BLACK

9. bbfpv

Your P2 isn't sending back a 720p stream to a device that decodes and decompresses it on the fly for 20 minutes straight with the screen on and set to max brightness, either.

snowghost and Julius717 like this.
  10. Julius717

^------------ nailed it

Buckaye likes this.
  11. Panotaker

The Phantoms should come with 5 motors instead of 4. Four on the quad, and one over the tablet/phone.

12. Foosy

Just a quick update, that I tried it today and didn't have any Pixels issues.
    Must have been the heat - although it was only 91 degrees here yesterday... Probably overheated while being in a parked car.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Now I also understand why the P2 didn't have any issues in warmer weather. But if this is the case, is there a way to reduce the video stream (I know... I should check the manual... )

13. Ezookiel

Exactly. And that's why DJI have done a totally half-arsed job on the P3 if they've not taken that into account in the design. Shoddy work, or they've shown a total lack of understanding of the heat their own design was going to generate.
    Something like 1 day in 4 here will exceed the usable temperature range. Pretty stupid. I'd never be able to use a P3 professionally in my business with that kind of design fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Chris Sinclair

Wow, it finally pays for me to live somewhere that we rarely get above 20 degrees Celcius in the height of Summer. I feel like I'm winning. Although I've still not gotten home to actually fly my new P3P yet.

Ezookiel likes this.