The Maiden Flight of "Poop Chute"

Reaction score
After a preliminary shakedown run, yesterday my new P3 Advanced "Poop Chute" made her official maiden flight. Weather was overcast & blustery, 40 degrees, 10-15 mph winds out of the SE. I launched from Ft. Armistead directly into the wind across the bay towards Sparrow's Point & the remains of the once mighty Bethlehem Steep Corporation. Forward progress was hampered by the stout breeze.

She reached13,000' before the RTH battery warning & I allowed her return. Video was absolutely flawless the entire flight. As I was heading into the wind I knew I could have pushed this further but, being unfamiliar with battery response, I didn't want to push things on the maiden. Sure enough as soon as I turned around with the wind at my back the battery gauge adjusted & I came back with 38%. Total flight distance was over 28,000'. I have no doubt this bird will easily make it out 5KM & beyond. Extremely impressed.

** No animals or humans were harmed during filming of this BVLOS flight over open water, an abandoned fortress, & the defunct remains of Bethlehem Steel.

Reactions: tobeallque
Very cool. Cannot wait to get mine i the air; snowing and raining here at the moment. The range on these things is what boggles my mind. Really cool footage.

Hey. I fly at Ft. Armistead as well. let me know next time you plan on flying!

Last edited:
That is some great range and decent video! Just ordered mine this morning, can't sit back and take any more of this with the P2-V+, 1 plus years of service and never an issue, just time to move on!! Especially after seeing these improvements. I was bummed none of the parts from the P2 are usable on the upgrade! 5 batteries-pfffttt!!

You have to be sly @ Ft. Smallwood. Some of the rangers are buttmunches & will chase you out for flying from the park. Even if you're flying over the water.

Gonna go back though & see if I can make it to the Key Bridge & back! ;)
Hmm national park sly = tighter clamps

You have to be sly @ Ft. Smallwood. Some of the rangers are buttmunches & will chase you out for flying from the park. Even if you're flying over the water.

Gonna go back though & see if I can make it to the Key Bridge & back! ;)

Oh really. I've only flown there about 3 times..never had a problem. I guess it depends on which way the wind blows lol.

You're going to try to fly to the Key Bridge from Smallwood? YIKES

I just checked the range from Ft. Smallwood to the Key Bridge. Just over 23,400' one way. 47,000' round trip. If you could maintain signal the entire trip @ 30 mph with no winds you'd be right up against the limit. If you fall short there's nothing but Bay... :eek:

Hmm national park sly = tighter clamps

That is Ft. Carroll. The fortress was constructed upon a man-made island in the mid-1800s. It has largely been abandoned since the end of WWII. That little oasis saved my Vision+ a couple of weeks ago when my battery unexpectedly took a dump 4000' out. I couldn't make it back to Ft. Armistead but I was able to make an emergency landing on the fort & fortunately got a boat lift to retrieve her.

What is that awesome fort in the middle of the water? That's so cool!

Last edited:
After a preliminary shakedown run, yesterday my new P3 Advanced "Poop Chute" made her official maiden flight. Weather was overcast & blustery, 40 degrees, 10-15 mph winds out of the SE. I launched from Ft. Armistead directly into the wind across the bay towards Sparrow's Point & the remains of the once mighty Bethlehem Steep Corporation. Forward progress was hampered by the stout breeze.

She reached13,000' before the RTH battery warning & I allowed her return. Video was absolutely flawless the entire flight. As I was heading into the wind I knew I could have pushed this further but, being unfamiliar with battery response, I didn't want to push things on the maiden. Sure enough as soon as I turned around with the wind at my back the battery gauge adjusted & I came back with 38%. Total flight distance was over 28,000'. I have no doubt this bird will easily make it out 5KM & beyond. Extremely impressed.

** No animals or humans were harmed during filming of this BVLOS flight over open water, an abandoned fortress, & the defunct remains of Bethlehem Steel.

Nice footage, how did u over ride the distance on the DJI GO app? I took mine off beginner mode and tried to set a new distance but it will only let me take it to 500m. Also, what were your camera settings your film was so clear?

Some interesting apocalyptic type scenery there - were you flying at full throttle as you see your props in nearly all of the video though (Iknow you said it was 4x )maybe try an nd filter on a sunny day or get some more altitude & gimbal down a bit. nice though.

Thanks. I disabled Beginner Mode immediately. I have my horizontal range unlimited. The altitude limit is capped at 500m. The camera was set to 1080@60 full auto.

Nice footage, how did u over ride the distance on the DJI GO app? I took mine off beginner mode and tried to set a new distance but it will only let me take it to 500m. Also, what were your camera settings your film was so clear?

Thanks. Heading out I was flying directly into 10-15 mph winds & that's why the props were so pronounced as she fought her way through the air. On the way back I had the strong tail wind & the props are much less noticeable. I was flying at about 300'. The apocalyptic scenery is what remains of Bethlehem Steel. I don't have filters as of yet & need to pickup a set.

Some interesting apocalyptic type scenery there - were you flying at full throttle as you see your props in nearly all of the video though (Iknow you said it was 4x )maybe try an nd filter on a sunny day or get some more altitude & gimbal down a bit. nice though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl