The Maiden Flight of "Poop Chute"

True but Maryland being the "free state" that it is prohibits flying (& even RC cars & boats) in parks. :rolleyes:

I've heard this but have seen no explicit rules backing this up? I know Mont and PG county has rules but have not seen any rules in AA or Balt Co. Do you have a a link to these prohibitions?

The FAA prohibits state/local from implementing such rules.

Ft. Arminstead & Ft. Smallwood are both owned by Baltimore City. (Not sure how Baltimore City wound up owning Ft. Smallwood?) There is a middle-aged female ranger @ Ft. Smallwood. She is the one who told me no RC of any kind are allowed in the park. I told her I wasn't flying in the park I was out over the bay but she was having none of it & insisted I couldn't launch from the park. I didn't go any further to verify if what she said was accurate.

I've heard this but have seen no explicit rules backing this up? I know Mont and PG county has rules but have not seen any rules in AA or Balt Co. Do you have a a link to these prohibitions?

The FAA prohibits state/local from implementing such rules.

Ft. Arminstead & Ft. Smallwood are both owned by Baltimore City. (Not sure how Baltimore City wound up owning Ft. Smallwood?) There is a middle-aged female ranger @ Ft. Smallwood. She is the one who told me no RC of any kind are allowed in the park. I told her I wasn't flying in the park I was out over the bay but she was having none of it & insisted I couldn't launch from the park. I didn't go any further to verify if what she said was accurate.

I was run out of North Point State Park (just east of Sparrows Point) by a female ranger. They have made these claims based on no documented laws/rules...from what seems to just be 'drone hate'. I didn't feel like it at the time, but at some point we need to 'challenge' these word-of-mouth rules.

A few years ago they would do the same thing to photographers until a national campaign was launched called 'Photography Is Not A Crime'.

Interesting that your ranger was also a woman. While I was flying several male rangers drove by & never said a word. One actually stopped to check out the Phantom & the video feed on my phone. I see we are going to have to read up on the actual Park rules.

I was run out of North Point State Park (just east of Sparrows Point) by a female ranger. They have made these claims based on no documented laws/rules...from what seems to just be 'drone hate'. I didn't feel like it at the time, but at some point we need to 'challenge' these word-of-mouth rules.

A few years ago they would do the same thing to photographers until a national campaign was launched called 'Photography Is Not A Crime'.

Just on a side note, I was telling my wife today that a lot of people have a name for their drone. I mentioned to her that you had named yours "Poop Chute," I think it is a great name....my wife rolled her eyes at you :)

After a preliminary shakedown run, yesterday my new P3 Advanced "Poop Chute" made her official maiden flight. Weather was overcast & blustery, 40 degrees, 10-15 mph winds out of the SE. I launched from Ft. Armistead directly into the wind across the bay towards Sparrow's Point & the remains of the once mighty Bethlehem Steep Corporation. Forward progress was hampered by the stout breeze.

She reached13,000' before the RTH battery warning & I allowed her return. Video was absolutely flawless the entire flight. As I was heading into the wind I knew I could have pushed this further but, being unfamiliar with battery response, I didn't want to push things on the maiden. Sure enough as soon as I turned around with the wind at my back the battery gauge adjusted & I came back with 38%. Total flight distance was over 28,000'. I have no doubt this bird will easily make it out 5KM & beyond. Extremely impressed.

** No animals or humans were harmed during filming of this BVLOS flight over open water, an abandoned fortress, & the defunct remains of Bethlehem Steel.

Dirty Bird,

I have a question...

I noticed on your video as well as others it is at a X4 speed. Can you tell me what app you are using for this? I'm starting to collect flying videos of my flights and would like to do the same.

Thanks so much.

I just did it with the YouTube basic editor functions. Once you have uploaded a video & the initial processing has completed just click Edit > Enhancements and you will see a place where you can speed up (or slow down) your video. There are numerous enhancements available. You can get even more features if you select the YouTube Video Editor.

Dirty Bird,

I have a question...

I noticed on your video as well as others it is at a X4 speed. Can you tell me what app you are using for this? I'm starting to collect flying videos of my flights and would like to do the same.

Thanks so much.

I just did it with the YouTube basic editor functions. Once you have uploaded a video & the initial processing has completed just click Edit > Enhancements and you will see a place where you can speed up (or slow down) your video. There are numerous enhancements available. You can get even more features if you select the YouTube Video Editor.
Thanks - I will check it out. Wasn't really thinking of posting them on Youtube but wanted a shortened version to show family and friends. Who knows, just might put some out there.

Thanks again.

You could use the YouTube editor & then download the completed movies as MP4 videos for standalone playback.

Thanks - I will check it out. Wasn't really thinking of posting them on Youtube but wanted a shortened version to show family and friends. Who knows, just might put some out there.

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl