the end of dji?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a weird combo. 900 mHz is a good video downlink frequency with the major disadvantage of larger antennas. 5.8 GHz gets around water absorption a tad but is more susceptible to interference. It is in the ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical band and so there can be other more powerful transmitters roaming about as well (same as 2.4 GHz). Maybe the control signal can handle degradation better than video. It would be easier to put error correction on a control frequency with lower information density than on a video downlink.

That's what Autel's site indicates.

A better competitor for DJI on the low end is the UPair G10, formerly the Chase. It uses the same 9450 props as the P2, includes a 7 inch monitor cabled to the controller, has GPS with an "RTL" (home) switch, IOC flight function, and includes a 4K camera that is very much like the GoPro but has camera control from the controller. The gimbal is also included. The price is around $400, which is right at the Xiomi price level. Yes, I do have one.

This sounds the same as the certain demise of Apple that shows up about every 5 years.

DJI is the Apple of drones. I wish them success.

Autel has lightbridge
I was reading info on Autel and I didn't see anything on lightbridge or some similar proprietary system. They clearly advertise a WiFi video link of .6 miles (I guess they mean 1km). Given that advertised distances are under ideal and unobstructed conditions, that is not much of a claim. I have played with several WiFi enabled drones and was ready to give up.

I was initially disappointed in the P3 as far as distance, but I realize that I live in less than ideal conditions with high hills and tall, dense trees. Still, I can get from .5 to 2km depending on conditions and direction. There is no way I would move back to WiFi.

My last drone, a Hubsan H501s, became a learning project. I spent so much time learning about WiFi frequencies on the internet and read many articles by engineers. I eventually modified my transmitter. I played with patch antennas and several types of helical antennas. It was a great learning experience. And the lesson learned is that under less than ideal conditions, you will be looking at 100 to 400 meters with the Autel.

My buddy turned off wifi and still flew it over 6000 ft with full signal ,so I don't know how it was connected with out wifi on

weve just been looking at this news in the office about a new drone:

Xiaomi Mi Drone poses price challenge to DJI - BBC News

looks like dji have got some serious competition. I think if id not bought my P3P last month I would have considered this instead. it even looks like it has the same motors as the rev 1 P3.

makes you wonder how much profit dji are making on each drone?[/QUOTE Dji Has nothing to worry about .

Watched the launch video. They have a long way to go. They are targeting the P3 4K.. NOT the P3A/P3P or P4. Limited range, no Lightbridge, slightly longer battery life... motors look pretty much like original P3A and P3P motors.. Most all features are been there/done that, meaning nothing new to the table. Obviously price point is a challenge but they don't even have it out flying in Beta yet.. Nothing against competition.. I think that's good, but to claim it's a DJI killer isn't accurate either.

Without reading the entire thread, it seems comparable to the P3S and its price level. However, to me, my P3S has proven its worthiness and trust. It won't be replaced anytime soon, I don't think.

I don't think DJI has anything to worry about, they have a great product.
The others will really have to play catch-up at this point.
However a little competition is always great to get more features and reduced pricing...I hope

I thought the same thing, also it looks like they used a DJI to do the video at the time and pass it off as actual footage from the Lily. The worst part was the 20min flight time (which I would guess would end up being close to 15mins) using a non-removable battery. You get one flight out on your day hike with no option to bring more charged batteries.

I don't doubt that eventually Xiaomi will have something, they manage to produce products which are knock-offs of other people's things but still they will have the Phantom 3 technology, sort of a whole revision behind DJI. There are a few other competitors with 3DR, Yuneec and Autel but none of them really have the price point or market penetration of DJI. It seems that GoPro can't seem to get their **** together to release a drone or else that might have been an issue. Even Parrot is not a competitor even though they are found everywhere because they are marketed as a toy. This is key, Phantom is the lowest end product line of a professional company, not the highest end product of a toy company.[/QUOTEcheck out the new xiro with obstical avoidance now thats a game changer

Collision avoidance as it stands serves no purpose for me. At all. Nor do I see a need in the future.

It's basically $100 more than the P3P was when it was introduced. But that's the only significant feature change and it's pointless. Sure, it won't run straight into a wall or a person. But it will still clip a tree branch. I only know one person who crashed into the side of his house with a P3P. But he also let his 4-year old try flying it. So idiots like that exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl