Testflight + B4UFly

Reaction score
Anyone else get the invite from Apple and the FAA to beta the new software? I'm trying to install the app, but it says the developer's certificate has expired. Anyone got it to work?

I contacted their support and they got it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

This is a pretty neat app. Not sure how you get an invite................... I must have signed up somewhere. They're accepting all feedback, so those of you who know the lingo............. NOTAM's, FAR's, etc, better than me would be great to try it and offer your feedback. You have to install the FlightTest app first, then the B4UFly app. Then you put in (redeem) the code the FAA sends you, to open it up. It will show your current location, anything applicable near that location, maps, notices, a planner, lots of other neat stuff. It's something I think will help them to at least get an idea of where flights are taking place.

I believe we are going to have to evolve the use of the term "toy" when referring to these craft. We're going to have to register them, pay fees, notify the FAA of flights (although maybe not required)................... I don't do all of that for any of my other "toys".

I emailed them asking to get B4UFLY but have not heard anything back. It sounds like a neat app that could be used to file flight plans and notify towers when flying safely (low and near outer edge) but inside 5 miles of an airport.

I signed up for this beta. And then on Oct 28, I got an email indicating I would be receiving an email from TestFlight in a "few hours". Still haven't received the email. Anyone else?

Ok I just got my invite and tried it out.
Tells me I can't fly at home. It puts a much wider net around DC that extends about 40 miles radius not just 15-miles as indicated on DJIs site. Marked as SFRA.
What the hell.

Ok I just got my invite and tried it out.
Tells me I can't fly at home. It puts a much wider net around DC that extends about 40 miles radius not just 15-miles as indicated on DJIs site. Marked as SFRA.
What the hell.
Wow - 40 miles. Really?

Mine says I've been flying in Class D Restricted Airspace for most all of my flights, and I should have been asking for permission from one tower and notifying another. :eek:

I'm wondering if those people flying kites alongside me in the park should also be required to do this?

Mine says I've been flying in Class D Restricted Airspace for most all of my flights, and I should have been asking for permission from one tower and notifying another. :eek:

I'm wondering if those people flying kites alongside me in the park should also be required to do this?

There are a lot of no fly without notify zones.....

I thought I was just outside the 5 mile limit.................... turns out the military one is only 4.16 and the civilian one is 4.75 miles. Dammit! Oh! And a heliport at the hospital at 4.91 miles!!!

I thought I was just outside the 5 mile limit.................... turns out the military one is only 4.16 and the civilian one is 4.75 miles. Dammit! Oh! And a heliport at the hospital at 4.91 miles!!!

Yes....I'm around 4.75 from IAD. The rules say notify the airport operator and tower, they do not prevent flying. I thought the B4UFLY app was going to help with the notification aspects to enable electronic notification. I wonder what century that will be available?

Can someone help interpret this? It seems to be telling me that I can't fly period (red). Not just that notification is needed (orange)
I thought the whole point of this app was to demystify the regulations, I've never been more confused. This is really laughable.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447224784.770624.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447224797.103156.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447224809.189245.jpg

Can someone help interpret this? It seems to be telling me that I can't fly period (red). Not just that notification is needed (orange)
I thought the whole point of this app was to demystify the regulations, I've never been more confused. This is really laughable.

View attachment 35578
View attachment 35579
View attachment 35580

The outermost red zone shown in the map does seem to suggest no fly out 40+ miles from center. But everything I've seen the no fly zone is 15 miles from the White House, not a circle shown as the outermost red circle on the map. Essentially the innermost red cone is what I thought applied. I don't know why the app shows the red cone as large as it is depicted.

Ok will do what I can as its been a while since I did the course for this.

You're basically in a no fly area unless you file a flight plan, have a transponder, get permission to fly and communicate with ATC... This would probably not even be granted with a 333 exemption, although never say never. The reason for this is because of 9/11, and the restrictions around government installations, sensitive areas etc. note that this is an R for restricted which means you need permission from the controlling agency. The Whitehouse and Pentagon have P for Prohibited which means you'll never get permission unless you're military etc.

Below is a link for the actual course, it's free and might be of interest to you.

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Navin Ganeshan
They would have probably been on a special flight permit and closed that portion of airspace for the time they were flying.

I probably should have put a "lol" or smiley there... :)

But in thinking about it, I wonder how they would have gotten special clearance, especially around the Statue of Liberty.... would have thought it would be super-protected.

But in thinking about it, I wonder how they would have gotten special clearance, especially around the Statue of Liberty.... would have thought it would be super-protected.
I would think that airspace would be very protected too. So welcome to the inconsistencies of the FAA. I wonder if they made them rivet a serial number plate to the jetpack and enter it into a database before flight approval?

There's a VFR corridor all the way down the Hudson and out past the Statue of Liberty so the tour flights don't have to keep asking for permission...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl