Test Flight w/Version 2 Upgrade

John Shaw said:
The flight limits diagram from the updated manual illustrates an interesting issue. Here's my interpretation (I believe you have to have switched from Vision to NAZA-M controls to reset the home point)
The altitude limit is set only during the initial take off procedures. If you reset the home point in flight the altitude limit does not change.
When you reset the home point in flight the lateral limits reference the new home point.
I would test this but we are in the midst of a week of rainy days.

That sounds like a reasonable assumption. I had the same thought while testing this morning, but was pressed for time as a storm was predicted, and arrived more or less on schedule. I'll test this at next opportunity, but I'd bet that you're correct...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I'd bet that you're correct...

-slinger

Me too, since the calculation for the limits uses the currently-recorded home point as the basis. New home point = new radius.

Still want to see it proven in testing though ;)

I have installed the 7th channel setup program with the lever on the back of the remote. how will the new update affect this?
Is there anything that will have to be avoided to keep my 7th channel settings while doing the update?

outlaw704 said:
After running the update, (there were two update and power off -power on cycles) my stock PV2 accepted the new firmwares with no difficulties.

Under the Advanced tab you will find a Limits tab that is preset for a 1600 m by 400 m (about 1 mile x .25 mile) cylinder.

I reset my cylinder to 500 ft x 150 ft for the purposes of this test flight.

In GPS mode (10 to 11 satellites) the PV2 wold not venture outside the range/altitude cylinder. At 150 feet altitude, full left stick up deflection did nothing. I could hear no increase in power to try to fly out of the top of the cylinder. It was as if the climb signal was not sent to the PV2. Still in GPS, the craft flew uprange to 500 feet and stopped as expected, and would not depart the sides of the cylinder.

In ATTI mode the vertical portion of the cylinder stayed intact. I could not fly above the preset 150 foot limit. (I thought in ATTI we'd be able to exceed the cylinder limits.) Again in ATTI mode the craft flew right through the 500 foot radius limit. Once outside the radius limit, I tried to climb above 150 feet, but it would not climb any higher. So, on this test flight, in ATTI, I could fly out of the sides of the cylinder but not the top of the cylinder, and I could not climb above the preset 150 foot limit in either case.

The new 3m/sec descent rate is still generous enough to make an expeditious descent. In fact, I did not try full left stick down deflection; it would have been more than I consider safe for a PV2 descent rate. The 3 m/sec descent rate will NOT prevent rotor vortex issues. In my opinion, we will still have to use caution in our descents to avoid loss of control problems.

I did about 6 or seven (no wind) ground landings. I am normally a hand-landing guy – and will continue to be..., but the landing protocol seemed a bit more docile than before. But just as before we will want to not allow our PV2 to dwell in prop wash ground effect while landing. And we must kill any drift in the landing phase. After that said, I will still hand land my PV2 and not take the risk of landing tip-overs.

Excellent information, thanks for sharing. now I can update my P2V with no doubts...happy flying for all of you guys.

outlaw704 said:
After running the update, (there were two update and power off -power on cycles) my stock PV2 accepted the new firmwares with no difficulties.

Under the Advanced tab you will find a Limits tab that is preset for a 1600 m by 400 m (about 1 mile x .25 mile) cylinder.

I reset my cylinder to 500 ft x 150 ft for the purposes of this test flight.

In GPS mode (10 to 11 satellites) the PV2 wold not venture outside the range/altitude cylinder. At 150 feet altitude, full left stick up deflection did nothing. I could hear no increase in power to try to fly out of the top of the cylinder. It was as if the climb signal was not sent to the PV2. Still in GPS, the craft flew uprange to 500 feet and stopped as expected, and would not depart the sides of the cylinder.

In ATTI mode the vertical portion of the cylinder stayed intact. I could not fly above the preset 150 foot limit. (I thought in ATTI we'd be able to exceed the cylinder limits.) Again in ATTI mode the craft flew right through the 500 foot radius limit. Once outside the radius limit, I tried to climb above 150 feet, but it would not climb any higher. So, on this test flight, in ATTI, I could fly out of the sides of the cylinder but not the top of the cylinder, and I could not climb above the preset 150 foot limit in either case.

The new 3m/sec descent rate is still generous enough to make an expeditious descent. In fact, I did not try full left stick down deflection; it would have been more than I consider safe for a PV2 descent rate. The 3 m/sec descent rate will NOT prevent rotor vortex issues. In my opinion, we will still have to use caution in our descents to avoid loss of control problems.

I did about 6 or seven (no wind) ground landings. I am normally a hand-landing guy – and will continue to be..., but the landing protocol seemed a bit more docile than before. But just as before we will want to not allow our PV2 to dwell in prop wash ground effect while landing. And we must kill any drift in the landing phase. After that said, I will still hand land my PV2 and not take the risk of landing tip-overs.

This is great feedback!! Thank you for taking the time to so clearly provide such a level of detail. You've answered several questions I had about how the P2V would be after the upgrade. Thanks!

Pull_Up said:
The fisheye effect gets more pronounced in unprocessed video and you lose detail as you go up. You get a "bigger picture" but apart from the initial "ooh, aren't I high" thing it's not that interesting for filming or stills above 500ft in my opinion...

One time it might be is if you have a gimbal that can point straight down and want a plan view of something big... But then again the fisheye...

Fisheye is not an issue when filming video with the "narrow" setting of 90 degrees. No obvious fisheye at all regardless of altitude, and I've been pretty high up. Otherwise it's what you said, if you want just a shot of an individual building or house you're not going to do it from up high. Up high shots are for the big picture of seeing a lot of area at once.

Do the flight limits compromise your setups, if you want to go for long range flights or are they optional and you can still decide not to limit your flight limits, with this latest DJI upgrade?

Is there a way to save my current revision as a back up to a disk....In the event I want to return to 1.08 ?
Is there a previous version database ?

I deleted my 1.8, but after very good advise I retrieved it from my waste bin and restored it for back up purposes. :D

Russair said:
I have installed the 7th channel setup program with the lever on the back of the remote. how will the new update affect this?
Is there anything that will have to be avoided to keep my 7th channel settings while doing the update?
Has anyone got the 7th channel working after doing the 2.0 update ? I have not yet implemented it (ch7) but may want to in the future so maybe it would good to do it before doing the update.
(i seem to recall reading there may he a problem but cannot find the post)

Today I had a test flight after antenna and v2 software upgrade!
Seems to be ok! Tested on approx. 600m

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl