tello drone

Reaction score
Ok not exactly a dji craft but it has some dji in it so hoping the thread can stay. Anyone got one of these for indoor messing about and can say if the range is good enough to fly around indoors from room to room with out loosing signal. Interested in one to teach my little one how to fly thats all, and of course something for indoors that will last longer than the tiny whoop stays in the air.

If I’m not wrong, this drone is called Mavic Air and we have another forum for this with tons of info. Correct?

Hey.......why not a Drone Simulator for the computer for the teaching of a drones flights to that "little one"... IF you have a computer then....that way No hard earned money spent for non repairable accidents and not no crashes in a 55 inch TV screen and control experience with be learned ....search the net for "Drone Simulator" software ..and good luck !

Reactions: bycla
looks like a entry Sport Drone, so they are not just going into Racing Drones.

I'm guessing they did it to compete with the Parrot Mambo. I like the programmable aspect of it.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Ok not exactly a dji craft but it has some dji in it so hoping the thread can stay. Anyone got one of these for indoor messing about and can say if the range is good enough to fly around indoors from room to room with out loosing signal. Interested in one to teach my little one how to fly thats all, and of course something for indoors that will last longer than the tiny whoop stays in the air.

I've had the Tello for about two weeks now and can speak a little to your question. Flying around the house has been a blast and the drone does well when within line of sight. If there is one wall between the Tello and myself I notice the Wi-Fi drops to 1-2 bars. If I fly around the corner into an adjacent room and proceed to fly down the hallway, the video transmission on my iPhone will freeze but I'll still have control of the drone. This loss of transmission happens when the Tello is 20-30 feet from me. The range with said interference isn't as great as I would have liked, but it's still a great indoor drone. I look forward to performing further testing when I get my hands on a third party bluetooth controller. I've written a fairly in depth review of the Tello if you're on the fence about buying one. Check it out on the site in my "signature"!

This thing is monstrously maneuverable! Filming features are lacking (if you crash, and lose the battery, your footage is gone, since it streams to the controller device -- phone / pad), but flying characteristics are great for fine-tuning your skills with the Phantoms / Mavics you may be flying. The footage (when captured) can be pretty decent...

Maybe it's because it's so cheap, but, the fear factor of chasing cats or birds wanes and I crash the Tellos a lot (i've crashed my P3S twice in 150 flights, and have never crashed the P4). Looking forward to taking the bigger birds out soon, after flying the Tellos, literally daily, and just for kicks, sometimes...

One problem, I've found, is after a few crashes; the bird still flies great, but a couple of the props keep flying off when I crash. Wondering if a dab of gorilla glue on them would be a bad idea. I've crashed them both several times (again, I fly after birds and cats), and there are no major nicks or damage to the props, but they fly off more frequently when the bird strikes objects.

Once back in the air they fly great. Just tough to find the props when it happens. I'm still on the original set on both birds after 3 weeks and dozens of flights. I'm thinking of gluing some glitter on them to make them easier to see, but maybe a dab of gorilla glue on them would do the trick. Crazy glue would be too permanent...

Thoughts / suggestions welcome...

DJI, (if you're listening) sell them in dayglo / glow-in-the-dark colors (and, no, I'd NEVER fly them at night)?

If you are wanting a drone to teach the little one how to fly, the tello might not be durable enough for the many guaranteed crashes. When I was little, I learned on the syma x5c. It took terrible video, but it looked like a mini Phantom, and controlled somewhat like it too. Issue was, it wasn't durable. I was a 10 year old Pilot, so it didn't last long. I then got a "UDI U818A". For 20 dollars on amazon. They normally are more but sometimes you can find them cheap. They are virtually indestructible! I did a durability review of the drone, and it did better than any drone I have ever seen! The video is bad of course, but enough to see a cool little view of what the drone sees. I purposely flew it at full speed into a brick wall 7 times, and it was fine! I dropped it from 200 feet up, it was great! I took the wing guards off and converted it into a racing drone and crashed it into the road at about 20 mph with NO protection. It was fine! The thing is indestructible, and if you can find it for 20 bucks, its a winner. I highly suggest it to help your little one earn his/her wings.[emoji3]

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Weston......thats exactly what i learned on too...it was a lots of fun and you could really have a few BIG accidents and it was not a bit hurt in any way....ever so often i take it out and fly it off my porch and across the street and fly it right at 200 to 250 feet away and bring it right back to the porch.....Drone On and i sure enjoyed your post Weston Ney Thank you.

Weston......thats exactly what i learned on too...it was a lots of fun and you could really have a few BIG accidents and it was not a bit hurt in any way....ever so often i take it out and fly it off my porch and across the street and fly it right at 200 to 250 feet away and bring it right back to the porch.....Drone On and i sure enjoyed your post Weston Ney Thank you.
You're welcome MotorCycle-Man! Really appreciate it.[emoji3] I'm looking forward to helping people on this forum. I have gotten so much help from it in the past. Happy droning!

If you are wanting a drone to teach the little one how to fly, the tello might not be durable enough for the many guaranteed crashes. When I was little, I learned on the syma x5c. It took terrible video, but it looked like a mini Phantom, and controlled somewhat like it too. Issue was, it wasn't durable. I was a 10 year old Pilot, so it didn't last long. I then got a "UDI U818A". For 20 dollars on amazon. They normally are more but sometimes you can find them cheap. They are virtually indestructible! I did a durability review of the drone, and it did better than any drone I have ever seen! The video is bad of course, but enough to see a cool little view of what the drone sees. I purposely flew it at full speed into a brick wall 7 times, and it was fine! I dropped it from 200 feet up, it was great! I took the wing guards off and converted it into a racing drone and crashed it into the road at about 20 mph with NO protection. It was fine! The thing is indestructible, and if you can find it for 20 bucks, its a winner. I highly suggest it to help your little one earn his/her wings.[emoji3]

I learned on a Syma X5C-1. The camera was next to useless, but I thought it was a fantastic 'learn-to-fly' machine. I found mine to be quite durable for abuse I put it through: crashes into spinning ceiling fans, ceilings, walls, and furniture; the ground, concrete, bushes, and trees. In fact my last X5C-1 is still in the top of a tall pine. Through all of this, I broke one or two prop guards and landing struts.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Tello, just for goofing off, but haven't.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94