Taranis X9D Plus problems....

gunslinger said:
billn said:
gunslinger said:
I'm an IT guy and I used to program (now I'm a Network Manager) and I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around this thing, though I am making some headway.

I also have an Orange module and a Blade Nano... Would you care to share your Blade setup with me? Just looking at the settings would explain a whole lot to me... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

Just so you know - you have cost me $$$
Looking at you fleet is what get me to buy the Nano's and Hubsan. I also grew up down your way in East Providence.

I did programming for many years so I view the Taranis programming as in input and some mods, mixing of inputs, outputs. It seems to work for me.
attached is the eepe, it has dual rates ... with sound from the Amber sound package.

Have fun
Bill

Dual rates? You've got it set up for three modes... We're talking about different things, I'm guessing. Also... The panic mode makes the quad fly like I stole it... WHOA!!!

I'd have replied to this sooner, but I've been too busy flying my Blade and looking at your config... Thank you very much for this, you saved me a lot of time and set me down the right path regarding programming this puppy...

-slinger

There are actually a couple of things. I have the dual rates set up so when I want to fly easy I put it into low rates but most of the time I leave it in high rates. That's on the SD switch. The SH switch is flight mode, to switch between Stability and Agility mode (fly it like you stole it).

Where this thing is really fun is when you get into the telemetry. On my QAV I have a voltage/current sensor and a GPS. So I can see and log RSSI, battery voltage, current, calculated power used, height, speed, and LAT/LON. For that model I use the SH switch to have Amber tell me the batter voltage. Everything is recorded on the SD card and I can look at it all later. Full flight path from the GPS, and the last LAT/LON if I crash it somewhere that I can't see.

I also got an AnyLink2 so I can use it for Real Flight Simulator.

Let the fun begin

Bill

Reading all of this makes me feel incredibly stupid! But, then my X9D is still between the sheets with me. :oops:

PhantomFanatic said:
gunslinger said:
IflyinWY said:
Nice to see that you've settled down Slinger.

What on earth were you going on about? What is a TAR ANIS?

Okay... There are some guys on this Forum who are pretty expert with the FRsky Taranis TX. It's an open source transmitter that does all kinds of nastily nice stuff. But it's real geek territory, so I thought it'd be a perfect fit. But... being open source, you run into having to rely on "the community" to support you and get you moving in the right direction... This was bait to suck in the few Taranis pros on this forum... And being a moderator, I had to be a good boy and place it out here in the outskirts of "Off Topic."

But... I should've known it'd only draw you lot... :D :D :D
Fat lotta good THAT'LL do me... :roll: :lol:

-slinger

I must come to Slinger's defense. I recently purchased a Taranis X9D transmitter. You are really missing out! It is priced low, compared to others. It is capable of 12 channels, although it is supplied with a receiver.

I haven't read my manual, but it is capable of 16 channels, using two receivers. With the addition of a module, you can have 32 channels. Having has a Futaba 9Z, when it was the top of the line, this looks almost as good! But, for a heck of a lot less!!

I bought it pre-programmed for a new VTOL airplane "toy," that I planned to purchase. The left stick, at least mine, has no vertical spring action. More suitable for an aircraft, which is in-line with my next toy! :)

If the statement I hi lighted in RED was meant for the X9D, you can adjust the left stick to be spring action to center. You have to take the back off and adjust a couple of screws, then both sticks return to center.

billn said:
billn said:
gunslinger said:
I'm an IT guy and I used to program (now I'm a Network Manager) and I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around this thing, though I am making some headway.

I also have an Orange module and a Blade Nano... Would you care to share your Blade setup with me? Just looking at the settings would explain a whole lot to me... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

Looking at you fleet is what get me to buy the Nano's and Hubsan. I also grew up down your way in East Providence.

I did programming for many years so I view the Taranis programming as in input and some mods, mixing of inputs, outputs. It seems to work for me.
attached is the eepe, it has dual rates ... with sound from the Amber sound package.

Have fun
Bill

There are actually a couple of things. I have the dual rates set up so when I want to fly easy I put it into low rates but most of the time I leave it in high rates. That's on the SD switch. The SH switch is flight mode, to switch between Stability and Agility mode (fly it like you stole it).

Where this thing is really fun is when you get into the telemetry. On my QAV I have a voltage/current sensor and a GPS. So I can see and log RSSI, battery voltage, current, calculated power used, height, speed, and LAT/LON. For that model I use the SH switch to have Amber tell me the batter voltage. Everything is recorded on the SD card and I can look at it all later. Full flight path from the GPS, and the last LAT/LON if I crash it somewhere that I can't see.

Let the fun begin

Bill

Bill:

I also have Real Flight and my Taranis worked right out of the box with the supplied cables...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
billn said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

Dual rates? You've got it set up for three modes... We're talking about different things, I'm guessing. Also... The panic mode makes the quad fly like I stole it... WHOA!!!

I'd have replied to this sooner, but I've been too busy flying my Blade and looking at your config... Thank you very much for this, you saved me a lot of time and set me down the right path regarding programming this puppy...

-slinger

Let the fun begin

Bill

Really getting the hang of the Taranis thanks mostly to your kindness in sending me that file. I have a couple of questions about the Blade Nano, though....

Do you have to bind to it every time you start it up? For some reason I do. And... SAFE mode. Is that one of the modes you havef set up, or is that something totally different?

Thank you again for your help, man... very much appreciated...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Really getting the hang of the Taranis thanks mostly to your kindness in sending me that file. I have a couple of questions about the Blade Nano, though....

Do you have to bind to it every time you start it up? For some reason I do. And... SAFE mode. Is that one of the modes you havef set up, or is that something totally different?

Thank you again for your help, man... very much appreciated...

-slinger

I have seen some strange things with the orange module. I was seeing the same thing, often needing to rebind after changing the battery in the nano. What I found as a solution was to reset the flight (which also resets the timer). Press and hold the ent button (lower right), then choose reset, and then reset flight.
Another way was to power cycle the TX prior to powering up the nano, but I like the flight reset better.

In the manual for the RTF it talks about pressing the left stick as bind/flight mode switch (page 11 of manual). Near bottom of page 12 talks about Stability mode (which causes the light to be blue) and Agility mode (which causes the light to be red) is what the gets toggled with the SH switch. Also see the table on the lights at the bottom of page 12.
I am not sure what SAFE mode is but I do see where the manual talks about SAFE Technology and talks about both modes. "SAFE™ (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology that offers impressive flight performance with an agility mode for aerobatics and a stability mode with self-leveling."

I started another new project today. I just finished a Nifty foam combat plane, so I got the Blade 200QX (the nano's bigger brother) that I am going to make into a mini FPV racer with a carbon frame. I wish the snow would go away so I could fly rather than buy and build.

Home this makes some sense.

Bill

PhantomFanatic said:
I must come to Slinger's defense. I recently purchased a Taranis X9D transmitter. You are really missing out! It is priced low, compared to others. It is capable of 12 channels, although it is supplied with a receiver.

I haven't read my manual, but it is capable of 16 channels, using two receivers. With the addition of a module, you can have 32 channels. Having has a Futaba 9Z, when it was the top of the line, this looks almost as good! But, for a heck of a lot less!!

I bought it pre-programmed for a new VTOL airplane "toy," that I planned to purchase. The left stick, at least mine, has no vertical spring action. More suitable for an aircraft, which is in-line with my next toy! :)
How's that Taranis working for you? I'm having doubts about the reliability of mine. I have the original non plus version

DattaGroover said:
PhantomFanatic said:

How's that Taranis working for you? I'm having doubts about the reliability of mine. I have the original non plus version

I love the Taranis. I have doubts about the Orange module, though... Like Bill said, I've seen some odd binding stuff... I'm using a Lemon RX on my other build, I'm wondering if the Orange RX might give better results with the Orange module. I'm also thinking about a true Spektrum module. Too many options with this stuff...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
DattaGroover said:
PhantomFanatic said:

I love the Taranis. I have doubts about the Orange module, though... Like Bill said, I've seen some odd binding stuff... I'm using a Lemon RX on my other build, I'm wondering if the Orange RX might give better results with the Orange module. I'm also thinking about a true Spektrum module. Too many options with this stuff...

-slinger
Yeah, I know what you mean. Right now I'm just using the basic Taranis radio module, and the X8R receiver. Does the Orange give you more range? The really hard part (for me anyway) is knowing what really works and what doesn't, based on what others say. Many times people get psyched about their own personal ownership, and that becomes "it." Bass players do that too, in my experience ;)

My main doubt about the Tanaris is that it occasionally has in-air "hiccups" which even though they straightened out seem dangerous.

Let the fun begin

Bill[/quote]

Hi Bill, when amber gives you voltage alerts do you get detailed alerts such as 12.2 or 11.9 volts. I am only getting 12 or 11 volts with no . value.

jimandsue60 said:

Let the fun begin

Bill
Thanks for that info. I have the X9D, not the plus. Is there much difference?

jimandsue60 said:

Let the fun begin

Bill
I love all these features, but my main issue is not getting good connection. It keeps telling me Telemetry lost/telemetry recovered, or RSSI critical when it's only 250 meters away and in plain sight. Usually once per flight it will do a wild move out of the blue, completely unprovoked.

Any ideas about that? I'm using Fr*Sky 25cm antennas on my X8R, and they are correctly installed, far as I can tell.

gunslinger said:
DattaGroover said:
PhantomFanatic said:

-slinger
Do you know much about the EZUHF from Immersion?

DattaGroover said:
gunslinger said:
DattaGroover said:

-slinger

Actually, no... but now I'll look into it... :D :D :D

-slinger

jimandsue60 said:

Let the fun begin

Bill

Hi Bill, when amber gives you voltage alerts do you get detailed alerts such as 12.2 or 11.9 volts. I am only getting 12 or 11 volts with no . value.[/quote]

I am using it with a 4S battery so 16, 15, 14 volts is good. Get to 13 and it's time to bring it home.
And you still have the detailed info on the telemetry page.

"I am using it with a 4S battery so 16, 15, 14 volts is good. Get to 13 and it's time to bring it home.
And you still have the detailed info on the telemetry page."

I do get the detailed info on the telemetry page but I could swear that amber used to tell me more detail like 3.9 or 12.4. It might be one of those little mysteries.

Thanks

DattaGroover said:
I love all these features, but my main issue is not getting good connection. It keeps telling me Telemetry lost/telemetry recovered, or RSSI critical when it's only 250 meters away and in plain sight. Usually once per flight it will do a wild move out of the blue, completely unprovoked.

Any ideas about that? I'm using Fr*Sky 25cm antennas on my X8R, and they are correctly installed, far as I can tell.

Looks like something is wrong. My Taranis Plus is new enough that the SWR works and I have a low SWR and good RSSI and have never had any problems. I have the two antenna's on the receiver in a V away from the FPV tx.

For the issues with the Orange TX I have only used it with the nano. I just put an AR610 into my NIFTY, and just got the 200QX so when I can get outside to fly I will see if I still have the same issues with those. If so I will probably build my own JR module using a Spectrum TX out a cheap RTF TX.

Bill

gunslinger said:

Actually, no... but now I'll look into it... :D :D :D

-slinger
My wife would say "Don't talk to those guys - they'll only encourage you!"

I did some research on it - there are different advantages to each. From what I've been hearing, the EzUHF has more range, but is more prone to setup and interference issues.

billn said:
DattaGroover said:

Looks like something is wrong. My Taranis Plus is new enough that the SWR works and I have a low SWR and good RSSI and have never had any problems. I have the two antenna's on the receiver in a V away from the FPV tx.

For the issues with the Orange TX I have only used it with the nano. I just put an AR610 into my NIFTY, and just got the 200QX so when I can get outside to fly I will see if I still have the same issues with those. If so I will probably build my own JR module using a Spectrum TX out a cheap RTF TX.

Bill
I just spoke to the tech guy at GetFPV.com and he also mentioned the antennas. Right now mine are parallel and they need to be perpendicular (like yours, in a 'V'). I'm going to try them that way this afternoon (as long as I can sneak out of the office) ;)

billn said:
Bill
That was it. The V antennas saved the day. Thanks again for that.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the SWR?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl