Taranis X9D Plus problems....

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I've been screwing with this TX for two nights and STILL don't have it sorted out.

There are three ways to plug the transmitter into your PC.

1) Transmitter off
2) Transmitter on
3) Transmitter in Boot mode

When using Companion 9X (and yes... I used ZADIG for the driver)

With 3) I can see the two virtual drives which represent the SD card on the TX and storage on the TX itself...

With 1) I can update the firmware...

In NONE of these modes can I access the EEPROM on the TX...

I get... "Impossible to identify the radio on your system, please verify the eeprom disk is connected"

WTF?

I've been all up and down with this...

I"m about ready to put this frickin' thing on eBay....

-slinger

Apparently I just needed to vent on here to clear my head. There's a newer version of the OpenTX software with a different name that works perfectly with my Taranis, right out of the box. I learned a lot about the TX from stumbling around for two nights, so there's always a silver lining. And I didn't bounce it off the wall even once !!! :D :D :D

-slinger

Blame it on the freeeeekin cold and snow! :D

Nice to see that you've settled down Slinger.

What on earth were you going on about? What is a TAR ANIS?

IflyinWY said:

Okay... There are some guys on this Forum who are pretty expert with the FRsky Taranis TX. It's an open source transmitter that does all kinds of nastily nice stuff. But it's real geek territory, so I thought it'd be a perfect fit. But... being open source, you run into having to rely on "the community" to support you and get you moving in the right direction... This was bait to suck in the few Taranis pros on this forum... And being a moderator, I had to be a good boy and place it out here in the outskirts of "Off Topic."

But... I should've known it'd only draw you lot... :D :D :D
Fat lotta good THAT'LL do me... :roll: :lol:

-slinger

I can't say that I am a Taranis "EXPERT" but have learned alot about using it this winter. Being another frozen in New England flyer there has been lots of time to play with it. It is great for the geeks with a really different view of how to set up models and you can do almost anything. So I can sit using OpenTX and program models on the computer and when I am happy load them into the TX. I have added the Orange module (to the JR port) and use it to fly my Blade Nano QX around the house, I got the AnyLink module to use it with Real Flight.

A project that I have been looking into is using it to fly my phantom. I am looking for a "cheap" 5.8 DJI TX to take the TX module out of it and see if I can build a JR module to plug into the Taranis. If I can get it to work then I can do things like setting up a switch so I can control yaw with a pot rather then a stick to get smooth rotation in video's.

gunslinger said:
IflyinWY said:

Okay... There are some guys on this Forum who are pretty expert with the FRsky Taranis TX. It's an open source transmitter that does all kinds of nastily nice stuff. But it's real geek territory, so I thought it'd be a perfect fit. But... being open source, you run into having to rely on "the community" to support you and get you moving in the right direction... This was bait to suck in the few Taranis pros on this forum... And being a moderator, I had to be a good boy and place it out here in the outskirts of "Off Topic."

-slinger

Ha Ha Slinger,

I gave you a "BUMP" and you got a hit... :lol:

gunslinger said:
IflyinWY said:

-slinger

I must come to Slinger's defense. I recently purchased a Taranis X9D transmitter. You are really missing out! It is priced low, compared to others. It is capable of 12 channels, although it is supplied with a receiver.

I haven't read my manual, but it is capable of 16 channels, using two receivers. With the addition of a module, you can have 32 channels. Having has a Futaba 9Z, when it was the top of the line, this looks almost as good! But, for a heck of a lot less!!

I bought it pre-programmed for a new VTOL airplane "toy," that I planned to purchase. The left stick, at least mine, has no vertical spring action. More suitable for an aircraft, which is in-line with my next toy! :)

IflyinWY said:
I haven't read my manual, but it is capable of 16 channels, using two receivers. With the addition of a module, you can have 32 channels. Having has a Futaba 9Z, when it was the top of the line, this looks almost as good! But, for a heck of a lot less!!

On my QAV I have 16 channels on one receiver, the first 8 on the S-BUS into the NAZA and the second 8 to the 8 set of pins.

Bill

billn said:
IflyinWY said:

On my QAV I have 16 channels on one receiver, the first 8 on the S-BUS into the NAZA and the second 8 to the 8 set of pins.

Bill

I'm still on the fence with this thing between snuggling up with it in the sheets and attaching it to my P2V with weak velcro, bringing it up to 600 feet and shaking it loose...

-slinger

Hey,
What's with the quotes? :lol:

I'm the one who doesn't even know what the heck the tar **** is.
I didn't even know there was a manual to read.

Me = :?

Me not = :geek:

IflyinWY said:
Hey,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

billn said:
I can't say that I am a Taranis "EXPERT" but have learned alot about using it this winter. Being another frozen in New England flyer there has been lots of time to play with it. It is great for the geeks with a really different view of how to set up models and you can do almost anything. So I can sit using OpenTX and program models on the computer and when I am happy load them into the TX. I have added the Orange module (to the JR port) and use it to fly my Blade Nano QX around the house, I got the AnyLink module to use it with Real Flight.

A project that I have been looking into is using it to fly my phantom. I am looking for a "cheap" 5.8 DJI TX to take the TX module out of it and see if I can build a JR module to plug into the Taranis. If I can get it to work then I can do things like setting up a switch so I can control yaw with a pot rather then a stick to get smooth rotation in video's.

gunslinger said:
IflyinWY said:

-slinger

I'm an IT guy and I used to program (now I'm a Network Manager) and I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around this thing, though I am making some headway.

I also have an Orange module and a Blade Nano... Would you care to share your Blade setup with me? Just looking at the settings would explain a whole lot to me... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

IflyinWY said:
Hey,

You know you like to be quoted bro :lol:
You also know what that is too ! It's where the hay don't go :shock:
And Slinger ya knew better than to put that in here :lol:

gunslinger said:
I'm an IT guy and I used to program (now I'm a Network Manager) and I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around this thing, though I am making some headway.

I also have an Orange module and a Blade Nano... Would you care to share your Blade setup with me? Just looking at the settings would explain a whole lot to me... :D :D :D

Thanks...
-slinger

Just so you know - you have cost me $$$
Looking at you fleet is what get me to buy the Nano's and Hubsan. I also grew up down your way in East Providence.

I did programming for many years so I view the Taranis programming as in input and some mods, mixing of inputs, outputs. It seems to work for me.
attached is the eepe, it has dual rates ... with sound from the Amber sound package.

Have fun
Bill

Attachments

• Blade Nano.zip
    7 KB · Views: 216
Just noticed something in the eepe. I use a this basic file for all bind and fly craft Its the way Spectrem sets up all the 4/5/6 channel TX. For SH (Switch H) says panic which it is for a delta, but with the nano SH is what you use to change modes.

billn said:
Just noticed something in the eepe. I use a this basic file for all bind and fly craft Its the way Spectrem sets up all the 4/5/6 channel TX. For SH (Switch H) says panic which it is for a delta, but with the nano SH is what you use to change modes.

Bill:

I can't thank you enough. You're from East Providence? That's just down the street from here. All in all, aside from the fiazuckin' snow... It's a pretty nice place to grow up... :D

I'm sure I'll eventually wrap my head around this thing, but I've spent three days trying a bunch of different things, most of which have failed. All in all... Even the failures helped with the learning curve.

Thanks again... I owe you one...

-slinger

dirkclod said:
IflyinWY said:
Hey,

You know you like to be quoted bro :lol:
You also know what that is too ! It's where the hay don't go :shock:
And Slinger ya knew better than to put that in here :lol:

You're right Dirk... WTF was I thinking??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-slinger

billn said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

Looking at you fleet is what get me to buy the Nano's and Hubsan. I also grew up down your way in East Providence.

I did programming for many years so I view the Taranis programming as in input and some mods, mixing of inputs, outputs. It seems to work for me.
attached is the eepe, it has dual rates ... with sound from the Amber sound package.

Have fun
Bill

This website and the various FaceBook groups I'm in have cost me a bunch of pesos, too... Sorry about that... :D I'm using the Amber sound package now. Very cool stuff and excellent job of recording. I'd also like to meet Amber... :cool:

-slinger

billn said:
gunslinger said:

Thanks...
-slinger

Have fun
Bill

Dual rates? You've got it set up for three modes... We're talking about different things, I'm guessing. Also... The panic mode makes the quad fly like I stole it... WHOA!!!

I'd have replied to this sooner, but I've been too busy flying my Blade and looking at your config... Thank you very much for this, you saved me a lot of time and set me down the right path regarding programming this puppy...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost