Tall Buildings

Reaction score
I have a job that wants me to do a point of interest on a 42 story building. Has anyone ever done something like this? I'm a little worried that the building would block the signal.

Thanks!

I have a job that wants me to do a point of interest on a 42 story building. Has anyone ever done something like this? I'm a little worried that the building would block the signal.

Thanks!
It should be easy with Litchi.
42 stories is over 400 feet. Does your client know about the altitude recommendations?

Reactions: BigAl07
42 stories is over 400 feet. Does your client know about the altitude recommendations?

While you have a valid point we've got to remember this is an International forum so a portion of our membership is from areas outside of the US and as such they don't have to adhere to the FAA's 400' rule.

I'm pretty sure that Steve is US so he does need to take that into account but if he maintains proper distance to the building he can fly over the 400' height so long as:

1) It does not put him into an Airspace that requires Authorization
2) He's not already flying on an Authorization/Waiver as it will spell out a HARD altitude limit that can not be exceeded even with remaining near the building/structure.

Thanks for the advice, I'm licensed and familiar with the regs, my concern is will the P4 complete a point of interest when there is a large building between it and the controller? Using DJI Go4 by the way.

He is flying for a client, so if he is in the US that means he must have a 107 certification. A 107 flyer can be up to 400 feet above a structure if he stays within a 400 foot radius of the building, assuming he is not violating any airport airspace.

The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft: (1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and (2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit.

If he's not in the US, I suppose it's irrelevant, too.

While you have a valid point we've got to remember this is an International forum so a portion of our membership is from areas outside of the US and as such they don't have to adhere to the FAA's 400' rule.
I do always remember that so I checked first to see where he was located before I made my comment. ;)

Thanks for the advice, I'm licensed and familiar with the regs, my concern is will the P4 complete a point of interest when there is a large building between it and the controller? Using DJI Go4 by the way.

It may stop, but you could always set your lost connection setting to hover, walk until you regain connection, then resume the POI with the same settings and splice it. Alternatively, set a mission to circle the building.

Most likely NOT! I can't say that from experience because I don't use DJI Go hardly at all. I know if you do this in Litchi it will complete it after loss of signal.

Odds are VERY likely (depending on local conditions, surrounding buildings etc) you'll lose Tx to Rx signal so pay close attention to your RTH settings.

A Litchi Waypoint Mission with careful attention to altitude and distance to building is the way to go. Depending on the quality of detail needed I’d fly several paths around the building with different distances from building and speed. I’ve done some shots of houses starting out maybe 500 feet and spiraling in in several revolutions until the drone was as close as needed then fly away backwards with camera pointed at desired point. Makes a great video!

Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF.

With such a tall building of that height focused wind tunnel effect might be a factor also. A greater distance from the prevailing wind side of the structure should be considered.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3