Taking off the camera's lens.

Reaction score
I've been having trouble taking off the camera's lens so I can put an ND filter in.

Is it supposed to be this tight? Is there loctite on it from the factory?

I'm afraid I'll break the gimbal if I force it. Any suggestions?

Yes, it is indeed quite tough to remove! I made several attempts & almost gave up! Someone suggested using a rubber-band around it which will cause more friction making it easier to turn the lens cap.

Yup it's on tight. There are two methods. One which is to actually grip it as lightly as possible. The tighter you grip it the more difficult it is to remove.

The other way is to use a rubber band to wrap around the lens cap and using good old strength to twist it open.

I assume you mean taking of the UV filter. DONT take the lens off!

Even then with most ND filters that isn't needed, they just go on top.

If you really want/need to take the built in UV filter off do a search on removing it. I think mole grips were needed in some cases...

The harder you squeeze it, the tighter it gets, and the harder it is to turn. Light pressure works better. It's a paradox :-D

Plenty of lube!!...only joking they are known to be very tight dont grip hard in one area and almost push in to grip it this will result in the aluminum binding then it will be near impossible to unscrew it, I used the tip of getting a thick rubber band place around the edge of the lens and firmly unscrewing without putting to much pressure in just one area. Hope this works for you!

The harder you squeeze it, the tighter it gets, and the harder it is to turn. Light pressure works better. It's a paradox :-D
Darn, I thought more strength is needed to unscrew it... But somehow I managed to remove mine lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl