Take a look my p4p night photos.

DJI_0449 fb.jpg
Well, for good night shot at first you need a tripod which enables long exp. times, you should close the aperture to around f13 or f16 or at least f11, and 1 or 2 steps underexpose tha picture.
If you go with auto, everything will be too much overexposed because of the big contrast differences. From there on you can try different settings and see, what you'll get.
With drone you have a huge limitations though these pictures are really of high quality.
Not sure what your talking about Andy9. You talking drones or stills from a DSLR? Because you dont want to stop down that much to shoot most night city scenes at all. Choose best aperture where lens is sharpest and then just adjust shutter speed to liking from there. And keep ISO as low as you want depending on your camera's capability in low light. No reason to stop down to F11 or 13 because this just makes you have to really slow camera down slower than needed tbo. This shot was shot at F3.2 at 200 ISO for 1/30 of a second from the P4 Pro 4 days ago. Most lenses don't get much sharper as you stop down past 1 or 2 stops from wide open. It just allows a little more depth of field or area that is in focus in your shot. With drones our lenses are so wide everything is in focus at infinity anyway so it makes no sense to stop lens down to F11 at all. If you did that you would have to slow your shutter down so slow that it would possible be blurry from the smallest wind blowing. The Phantom 4 Pro lens is as sharp as it will get at F4.5 to 5.6 1/2. No need to ever stop down more closed than that imo. F 11 would not have changed my shot here at all! It's all in focus. I would have had to slow shutter down to prob 1-2 seconds to get this same exposure out of this shot. And it was blowing about 10-12 mph. So my shots would have been blurry if I had stopped down to F11 or 13. Am I wrong here? Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Of course I was talking about classical photos. Shooting with drone makes things very different, but it can serves as an orientation. I was trying to say how can you get nice night shot in general. At drones things are as you wrote. My fault.
But one thing I forgot to say. Shoot with lowest possible ISO.

P.s.: Your shot is exellent!
Thx a bunch Andy! Gotcha buddy. I was just trying to make sure that you knew that you don't have to shoot at F11 or even more closed to get super sharp images at night. Closing down like that only helps depth of field. Which means more of your length in the shot is in focus. Lens choice effects this too. Like if you were trying to shoot a longer telephoto shot at night and wanted a lot of your shot in focus for a long distance then that might be a case for choosing F11. But most night landscapes are wider in nature and dont require much worry about Depth of Field. So better to shoot more open and be able to shoot faster shutter speed is fine. Like F4 or so.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94