Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

I have turned off the WIFI and enabled the Airplane Mode.

I see the recommendation to use Airplane Mode quite a bit on this forum and that's really not the best way to go. Apple's iOS updates are notorious for letting the GPS radio still work in one release version during Airplane Mode, then completely changing that to not working in the next release. If you check the various iOS forums you'll see this has been tested and proven time and time again. Saying it 'works' or 'doesn't work' is completely relative to whatever iOS release is being used.

The best way to go is to just switch off the wifi and then, if you don't want any calls or texts coming in while you fly, turn on the Do Not Disturb.

In terms of the interference you get near your house, that probably has nothing to do with your device. Two probable causes are: other wifi devices in the home (including a router), or some other electrical interference.

Reactions: TrevorTron
I know how to jailbreak.. I meant sharing the GPS from another device etc. I personally never knew that was even possible.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Ah, gotcha. Sorry. LOL. I'm afraid I've not tested that when I jailbroke. Looks like you've found a link though that walks you through it, haha.

I see the recommendation to use Airplane Mode quite a bit on this forum and that's really not the best way to go. Apple's iOS updates are notorious for letting the GPS radio still work in one release version during Airplane Mode, then completely changing that to not working in the next release. If you check the various iOS forums you'll see this has been tested and proven time and time again. Saying it 'works' or 'doesn't work' is completely relative to whatever iOS release is being used.

The best way to go is to just switch off the wifi and then, if you don't want any calls or texts coming in while you fly, turn on the Do Not Disturb.

In terms of the interference you get near your house, that probably has nothing to do with your device. Two probable causes are: other wifi devices in the home (including a router), or some other electrical interference.
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I do know when I turn off the Router the problem goes away. Just wonder how that works when I turn off the wifi on my iOS. Maybe buy some lead shield? LOL. Anyway thanks for your response.

I do know when I turn off the Router the problem goes away.

The control signal (and Lightbridge video transmission signal) between the Phantom and its remote controller is 2.4Ghz, which is the same base frequency as your router, unless you have a newer 5.8Ghz router, so interference is not surprising. I've noticed that when I fire up my Phantom in the house, say to download video or configure something, it kills my wife's wifi connection to her iPad and Laptop. Sometimes I do it just for giggles. lol
You can try manually selecting a different video transmission in the video settings screen of the DJI GO app, but if 'auto' mode doesn't hop to a clear channel, I wouldn't bet on manually finding a clean one either.
My question is, why are you repeatedly flying within 10 ft of your house? Go find something more interesting to fly over! lol
Seriously though, it may not be something you can fix, other than turning off your router as you discovered.

The control signal (and Lightbridge video transmission signal) between the Phantom and its remote controller is 2.4Ghz, which is the same base frequency as your router, unless you have a newer 5.8Ghz router, so interference is not surprising. I've noticed that when I fire up my Phantom in the house, say to download video or configure something, it kills my wife's wifi connection to her iPad and Laptop. Sometimes I do it just for giggles. lol
You can try manually selecting a different video transmission in the video settings screen of the DJI GO app, but if 'auto' mode doesn't hop to a clear channel, I wouldn't bet on manually finding a clean one either.
My question is, why are you repeatedly flying within 10 ft of your house? Go find something more interesting to fly over! lol
Seriously though, it may not be something you can fix, other than turning off your router as you discovered.
Interesting. I did fly today and it did not seem to be as bad. As for the reason. The VA amputated my right leg last October 12th and I just got my new leg last month. I am not too sure I can stand for that long with falling down. I have a lower deck off my front door and can sit there and fly over my front fields. If I can't fly from there I have to go down the hill in my wheel chair and that can be a pain. The only other way I can fly is to have my wife drive me to a school or church and drop me off. (VA has not ok'd me to drive yet) When I can drive it will be a whole lot better.

That's a pretty good reason!
So you really only have the video problem during takeoff and landing?
Or does it persist during the flight, even when the aircraft itself is away from the router, but you (and the remote) are close to it?

It is persist during the whole flight. But yesterday I had little problems at all. Also the video does not show the flickering which makes sense as the recording is on the sim card, right?

It may have hopped to a cleaner channel. You can go to the video transmission settings page while in flight, and it will show you the signal strength, current channel, etc...
You can also makes changes from there, such as manually choosing a channel. It's possible that your lack of interference yesterday was due to other devices not using that channel at the same time. Were there others in your house possibly using wifi at the time when you had the worst problems that perhaps weren't connected yesterday?
Just throwing out possibilities here...

This is wrong!!!!! Got samsung galaxy tab 4 based on this, and the tablet wouldn't even support the app. Had to pay for return and restocking fee. Wasted me 30 bucks. Dont buy this tablet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

This is wrong!!!!! Got samsung galaxy tab 4 based on this, and the tablet wouldn't even support the app. Had to pay for return and restocking fee. Wasted me 30 bucks. Dont buy this tablet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Restocking fee where?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I thank you so much for trying to help me out. I am learning a lot from your responses. It is just me and the wife of 45 years so who know what she is doing. Just saying. I guess I don't understand the whole concept of different channels. Are there different channels in wifi? Or is it to do with the video feed. You can see I did not grow up with all this high tech stuff. Ask me to overhaul a diesel engine in a simi and I could do that blind folded. Ask me to turn on this laptop and that is a Challenge. I am not quite that bad but you get my point. The next time I go up I will check it out. Thanks again.

Ok, couple things...
1) Did you get the Tab 4 7" or 10"? There's a big difference in performance. The 7" is much faster.
2) If you actually read the 1st page of recommendations, you'd notice that the Galaxy Tab 4 (any size) is NOT a recommended device

I thank you so much for trying to help me out. I am learning a lot from your responses. It is just me and the wife of 45 years so who know what she is doing. Just saying. I guess I don't understand the whole concept of different channels. Are there different channels in wifi? Or is it to do with the video feed. You can see I did not grow up with all this high tech stuff. Ask me to overhaul a diesel engine in a simi and I could do that blind folded. Ask me to turn on this laptop and that is a Challenge. I am not quite that bad but you get my point. The next time I go up I will check it out. Thanks again.

I honestly don't fully understand wifi channels myself, but basically it's like there's a base frequency (2.4Ghz) and then sub-frequencies (maybe minor variations or possibly something totally unrelated) that allow data to travel on the same base freq without crashing headlong into the other packets sharing the same signal. It's what allows you to have wifi in a home with a microwave oven and various other sources of EM radiation in the general 2.4Ghz band without total whiteout. Your wifi router has multiple channels that it hops between to find the cleanest signal and to avoid conflicts with your neighbor's wifi, etc.. The Phantom's video transmission signal has channels as well. Whether those are the same basic technology or just the same wording, I have no idea.
In regards to flying a Phantom, all I know is that the closer you fly to sources of EM radiation (radio signals) in the same general band (~2.4Ghz) as the control and video signals for the aircraft, the more headaches you'll have.
If I stand near my house when flying, I lose video signal much faster than if I go out in the yard. I realize that may not be an option for you, so maybe you'll have to temporarily disable your router when flying.
That sounds wrong though, since the Phantom is designed to utilize a wifi signal to download maps and such during flight. I'm thinking maybe something else is going on here...

I have a iPad mini 4 and an iPad air 2. You are right about getting away from the house I have no problems. I also have a P3S and a iPhone 6 plus that works well when I am out in the country. But when I get close to a neighborhood I get a msg about signal problems. I have not tried the P3A in that area but think it would do better. I love learning about all this new stuff (new for me). Being in a wheel chair for the past 9 months gave me time to expand my horizon. You gave me a lot to think about. Thanks again my friend.

I like my Galaxie Note 4, very clear, low glare. Also my Nexus 9 tablet but it's a little too heavy to be comfortable. Also use iPad mini 2 but screen glare makes it nearly impossible to see if the sun is out even with a shade.

Was running a Tab 4 before my Tab A 9.7" with no issues at all.

I have a iPad mini 4 and an iPad air 2. You are right about getting away from the house I have no problems. I also have a P3S and a iPhone 6 plus that works well when I am out in the country. But when I get close to a neighborhood I get a msg about signal problems. I have not tried the P3A in that area but think it would do better. I love learning about all this new stuff (new for me). Being in a wheel chair for the past 9 months gave me time to expand my horizon. You gave me a lot to think about. Thanks again my friend.
Ho do those two iPads compare for outdoor viewing? I gather the mini 4 has a good anti-glare coating on the screen, does the Air 2 have the same?

iPhone 6s+ and iPad Mini 4 work flawlessly

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z