Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Glad the info helped some.

Sorry sir, I'm not experienced enough with jail breaking and what you'd need. I must defer to those with more knowledge.

I use a Dual external GPS for the rare times that I need GPS at the RC.
I thought about getting that same setup..
However the price of the external GPS is the same as the price difference between the WiFi and cellular ipad.

I borrowed my friends ipad mini 4 to test but it's WiFi only.

If tethering works good I will just stick to that.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I thought about getting that same setup..
However the price of the external GPS is the same as the price difference between the WiFi and cellular ipad.
Exactly why I got an external device. Same or less initial cost. Then once I had it I didn't need to buy a cell iPad each time I upgraded. No sense for me to spend more for the cell version over and over again when I use those features so rarely anyway. I just get the cheaper wifi only versions.

If you plan to use only one iPad going forward, it may make more sense for you to get the cell version.

Also as always, an Android tablet already has GPS. They are a great option.

You can't. The wi-fi only version doesn't even have the GPS chip, since it's physically shared with the LTE chipset.

EDIT: Oops, delayed response. This was in reference to Deex's question about jailbreaking an ipad mini

Last edited:
You can't. The wi-fi only version doesn't even have the GPS chip, since it's physically shared with the LTE chipset.

EDIT: Oops, delayed response. This was in reference to Deex's question about jailbreaking an ipad mini
So when Oso said "Tethering your phone to a wifi only iPad does notshare the phone's GPS unless you jailbreak." He was wrong?

So when Oso said "Tethering your phone to a wifi only iPad does notshare the phone's GPS unless you jailbreak." He was wrong?

Not wrong, @Elmojo was just joining a conversation without knowing the context. He edited his post now so its all good. Cheers.

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you're asking now. You were talking about using the GPS from the phone, not the iPad. Gotcha. ;)
Sorry, got no idea. Go with what Oso tells you, I know next to nothing about jailbreaking Apple devices.

That is correct. But even jailbreaking WILL NOT GET YOU the kind of accuracy that the cellular model with true GPS capability will get you. There's lots of people across the net who have tested this side by side. Jailbreaking is close, but never as accurate.

So I can jailbreak my ipad wifi and get the GPS data from my tethered phone? I'm so confused lol.

Yes, same as I told you before.

@Elmojo just jumped in the middle of our conversation to say what we all know already that a wifi only iPad does not have GPS.

That is correct. But even jailbreaking WILL NOT GET YOU the kind of accuracy that the cellular model with true GPS capability will get you. There's lots of people across the net who have tested this side by side. Jailbreaking is close, but never as accurate.
How does one accomplish this..
I'm kinda just considering the cellular one or the external GPS but still the jailbreak info could be useful.
TBH I'm not even sure if the current IOS and I pad mini 4 has jailbreak, I haven't gotten that far yet lol.

Thanks for all the info thus far by all of you.
I'm in information gathering mode. :)

So I can jailbreak my ipad wifi and get the GPS data from my tethered phone? I'm so confused lol.

Yes, that's exactly right. But, like I said, it's accurate but not like a cellular ipad...

How does one accomplish this..
I'm kinda just considering the cellular one or the external GPS but still the jailbreak info could be useful.
TBH I'm not even sure if the current IOS and I pad mini 4 has jailbreak, I haven't gotten that far yet lol.

Thanks for all the info thus far by all of you.
I'm in information gathering mode. :)

YouTube is a good place to start with Jailbreaking. There's tons of videos. The process is a tad bit cumbersome. I did it before but never again. Ultimately it's a pain, as updating the iOS gets to be a problem - often you can do an iOS update but then the new jailbreak version lags behind. For me, it was a novelty. Plus, and I can't emphasize this enough, you CANNOT trust the performance. I'd never fly my Phantom relying on any jailbroken iOS device. NEVER.

Hey Oso, take a breath man. I didn't "just jump in the middle of your conversation". I've been involved in helping Deex for a while. I just missed a couple messages that clarified that he already knew about the lack of GPS chip in the wifi version. Many people don't know that, even after being told repeatedly, so I thought it bore repeating, just in case. I meant no disrespect.
I'll leave the Apple advice to the experts and stick to my Android stuff from now on if it bothers you.

Yes, that's exactly right. But, like I said, it's accurate but not like a cellular ipad...
Thank you sir. I noted to @DeeX earlier that I knew it could be done but that I was not knowledgeable enough about jailbraking to add any more guidance.
I appreciate you adding additional info to the conversation.

Hey Oso, take a breath man. I didn't "just jump in the middle of your conversation". I've been involved in helping Deex for a while. I just missed a couple messages that clarified that he already knew about the lack of GPS chip in the wifi version. Many people don't know that, even after being told repeatedly, so I thought it bore repeating, just in case. I meant no disrespect.
I'll leave the Apple advice to the experts and stick to my Android stuff from now on if it bothers you.
I was uncharacteristically snippy and I apologize. All input to the forum is welcomed.

Reactions: bluntnose
YouTube is a good place to start with Jailbreaking. There's tons of videos. The process is a tad bit cumbersome. I did it before but never again. Ultimately it's a pain, as updating the iOS gets to be a problem - often you can do an iOS update but then the new jailbreak version lags behind. For me, it was a novelty. Plus, and I can't emphasize this enough, you CANNOT trust the performance. I'd never fly my Phantom relying on any jailbroken iOS device. NEVER.
I know how to jailbreak.. I meant sharing the GPS from another device etc. I personally never knew that was even possible.

I also must say after being part of several forum community's that little conflict you all just had was handled better then most would have.. cheers to you both. :)

So sweat Oso, no harm no foul. :)
I was probably a little on the sensitive side tonight, since I backed into my wife's car like a tool this evening. :mad:
You'd think I'd remember to check BOTH sides before reversing....but NO. *CRUNCH* *CRAP* lol

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear more about the sharing of GPS between phone and tablet as well. I've never heard of that option, and I know a few iPad users who would like to know about it.

It seems like I have found a site that has some really smart guys. I have a simple question. I have a P3A with a iPad mini 4 and a iPad air two. Both are cellar and of corse GPS and WIFI. I have turned off the WIFI and enabled the Airplane Mode. Now the question, when I fly close to my house (about 10 feet from my router) I get choppy video. How can this happen? and is there anything I can do apart from moving away from my router or turning it off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94