Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Personal preference to a degree, but 4:3 seems to fit the UI a bit better, and give a more balanced viewing area, while still showing all the onscreen info and telemetry.

I am an Android user flying a PV2+ and have done so for the past year. I would like to try my IPAD, What programs should I look at?

Every where I look, everything is for P3.

I really appreciate the suggestions, and anything I should watch out for?
John

Personal preference to a degree, but 4:3 seems to fit the UI a bit better, and give a more balanced viewing area, while still showing all the onscreen info and telemetry.

If I'm using tablet ONLY to DJI, is SM-T335 (Galaxy tab 4 8 inch) enought ot should I buy better one like Tab S or Tab PRO?

If I'm using tablet ONLY to DJI, is SM-T335 (Galaxy tab 4 8 inch) enought ot should I buy better one like Tab S or Tab PRO?

In my opinion, the tab 4 does not have enough processor to work well with Phantom. Post 701 has the other 2 reviewed

Reactions: TrevorTron
Hey all. Been reading all night and trying to decide on a tablet to pickup as my P3P is arriving earlier than expected (unless Fedex holds the package and tries charging me import fees). Down to the shield and the Galaxy S2 tab.

Last few things I'm trying to iron out between the two is battery life and hood. I ordered the stock DJI tablet hood that will work with the Galaxy but the Shield seems a hair too large. Latency seems like a non issue with both being around .25s (along with most other devices it seems) so really it just comes down to ordering a shield and new hood or picking up a Galaxy locally tomorrow.

Is there a large discrepancy between battery life of these two tabs? HDMI out on the Shield is nice but I'm doubtful I will ever hook up my FPV racing goggles to this setup. The brightness of the screen seems like a more important issue than HDMI out is and I would assume there are screen recording apps for the Galaxy. Would also be nice to just use the DJI hood I got with the Galaxy. Seems most people go with the Shield but I'm doubtful if there is much benefit over the Galaxy apart from the money saved.

I assume you must be talking about the Galaxy Tab S2 8.0", since the other one is the 9.7", which is way bigger than the Shield, right?
I'm afraid I can't answer your battery life question directly, since I'm kinda in the same boat as you, trying to decide on a tablet for my P3a. However, I can say that I'm sorta leaning away from the S2 due to some reviews that mention the reduced battery life of the new S2 line vs the previous version, since Samsung was so obsessed with these tablets being the Kate Moss of the tablet world. They have successfully taken the "thinnest tablet in the world" claim (for now), but at the expense of battery life. I don't have the exact numbers (a google review search would probably resolve that pretty quickly) but I recall the article I read specifically mentioning the reduced battery life vs the previous generation of the Galaxy Tab. Does this help any? I'm personally leaning towards the Shield myself, but I'm still searching....
As a side note, you can buy 2 Shields for the cost of 1 S2 8.0, just sayin'.

Tablets and phones that work well DJI GO

Overview

There are a wide variety of Apple and Android devices available. It's important to make sure you're using a device that is powerful enough in order to prevent the DJI GO app from lagging, freezing, and/or crashing during use. The following list includes devices recommended by Phantom Help (), devices recommended by DJI (), and other devices that are most often recommended by Phantom pilots.

[H][/H]

Apple Devices

iPhone 5s (4 inches)
iPhone 6 (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6 Plus (5.5 inches)
iPhone 6s (4.7 inches)
iPhone 6s Plus (5.5 inches)

iPad Air (9.7 inches)
iPad Air 2 (10 inches)
iPad Mini 2 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 3 (7.9 inches)
iPad Mini 4 ― (7.9 inches)

►► iPad Pro ― (12.9 inches)

Note:
Both Wi-Fi only and cellular iPad Air/Mini/Pro models are compatible. Only cellular models have GPS. You do not have to enable the cell service in order to use the GPS. The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Apple device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off.

Note: Tablets wider than 6.75 inches (including the case) will require an extender to be installed on the remote controller mount. The iPad Air will fit without case. This extender is designed well and will securely hold your tablet in place.

Note: Your Apple device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.

[H][/H]

Android Devices

►► Acer Iconia Tab (8 inches)
►► Acer Iconia Tab (10.1 inches)

►► Google Nexus 5 (5 inches)
Google Nexus 7 [2013] (7 inches)
Google Nexus 9 (8.9 inches)
►► HTC One (4.7 inches)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7 ― (6.8 inches)
Huawei P8 Max ― (6.8 inches)
►► Lenovo A3500 (7 inches)
►► Lenovo Tab S8-50 (8 inches)
Nubia Z7 Mini (5 inches)
Nvidia Shield K1 (8 inches)
►► RCA Voyager II ― (7.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (5.7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Note 5 ― (5.7 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy S4 (5 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S5 (5.1 inches)
Samsung Galaxy S6 (5.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge (5.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (7 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 ― (10.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (7 inches)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 705c ― (8.4 inches)

►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(8 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A ―(9.7 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (10.1 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (12.2 inches)
►► Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 ― (8 inches)

Smartisan T1 ― (4.95 inches)
►► Sony Xperia Z2 (5.2 inches)
Sony Xperia Z3 (5.2 inches)
Xiaomi Mi 3 ― (5 inches)

Xiaomi Mi Pad ― (7.9 inches)

Note: Tablets wider than 6.75 inches (including the case) will require an extender to be installed on the remote controller mount. This extender is designed well and will securely hold your tablet in place.

Note: The DJI GO app currently only requires GPS on an Android device when using the Follow Me feature or to reset the home point to your current location if you've moved elsewhere after taking off.

Note: Your Android device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.
Might add another device. I didn't have a suitable device when my P3A arrived so i went shopping. Was in Best Buy and saw a ZTE Mavern Go-Phone (ATT) for $29. Brought it home, downloaded the Go app (didn't activate the cell phone service) and everything came up and worked perfectly. I have 4-5 flights on it now and no problems. probably still get a bigger device such as an iPad, but this is working and i can access other Android only apps - and really hard to beat the price!

Thanks for the perspective Elmojo. I agree that the S2 would have been nicer with a bigger battery. I did just go look at one locally and it is very light. It's really hard to call. I think I'll end up going with the shield. It's 150 dollars cheaper, comes with less bloatware to deal with. I'll need to order a new hood or modify the one I received but that shouldn't be a big deal. In the end I suspect that both tablets will preform similarly as I am skeptical that the GPU will even be utilized for the stream back from the P3P. This gives the Shield an edge either way as it has a better CPU and GPU. Battery life from what I've read seems to be a little better on the shield as well.

Also the S2 didn't perform great in gaming tasks so on the off chance I use the tablet for something other than the P3P I think having that GPU power might be nice for long waits in the airport. I don't think I wouldn't be happy with the S2 but it's smaller battery and sidegrade from the previous generation doesn't really inspire confidence in that purchase. I threw a stick pound of butter on the remote to get a feel for the shields weight and I think it's acceptable with a neck strap.

Thanks all, hope to be out flying soon :)

You don't need cellular other than as one option to access local maps on site. You need GPS for Phantom to know where you are (ground station). The GS location is needed for some advanced functions but not basic flying. The Phantom has its own GPS so it usually knows where it is and where it took off from. Some people think iPad is better, some of us think android is better. That part is probably more related to whether you prefer Android or IOS for general, every day. It is important to get a tablet with good, powerful processor capability or it could lag and freeze. For the most part, it seems that most people who go low end seem to eventually go back for something higher.

IOS vs Android. I hate apple as a company - but I have their devices. Seems IOS gets the best programs. For example - the autopilot app (amazing functionality) is only available for ISO. = ( ELSE I'd jump on a android tablet.

That's true to a degree (your comment about iOS apps being better), but one notable exception is Litchi. As of now, the consensus seems to be that the Android version is ahead of the iOS version, at least for the moment....
It's a constant development battle, which is great for us users. Personally, I've decided to go with the platform I'm most comfortable with overall, which is Android. It gives me the flexibility to adjust and try other options if I'm not happy with the way a certain app feature (or even OS element) is behaving. As much as I agree that Apple has always excelled at provided a streamlined and hassle-free experience for the user with its iOS platform, in this case I'll take the little bit of extra uncertainty for the gains in usability.

Last edited:
I'm with ya on that one. I kinda miss the DOS days myself. There's a sense of accomplishment in getting a program to run after an hour of memory configuration, bat file editing, etc..
Come to think of it, maybe I don't miss it so much after all... If I get too nostalgic, there's always Linux! lol
I agree that the Air2 is probably one of the best options for a display device for the Phantom, I just can't justify spending a large percentage of the price of the aircraft on a tablet. Even if I get a refurb iPad Air 2 16GB, it's $419, roughly half the price of the P3a, and they don't have refurbs available with cellular (which I'd want for the GPS) so that's an issue also.
Plus, I'm not a big fan of Apple devices for everyday use, so I'd be getting the tablet as a more or less dedicated viewer for the Phantom, which makes it even less of a financially sound proposition.

At the moment, I'm torn between the nVidia Shield K-1 or the Asus ZenPad S8. The ZenPad is a little more money, but it has 4GB of RAM, which may be useful for running the DJI app.
The Shield, on the other hand, has that wicked fast GPU, which may offset the lack of RAM. Anyone have any experience of comparison between these 2 for use with the Phantoms?

Could someone tell me if this is the norm (the smoothness) for the way the downstream video looks on a tablet during flight (bird being very near)?
I have a W323B and Im trying to figure out if my choppiness (lack there of smoothness) is from my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or the W323B.
Someone told me that the way the bird and controller handles the feed was changed in the W323B.

Ok, I'm confused... what's a W323B?
Yes, mine looks like that when I'm close to the transmitter with my nVidia Shield K1.

@Bowles: Sorry, I must have missed that. Was it a while back? What post #?

Ok, I'm confused... what's a W323B?
Yes, mine looks like that when I'm close to the transmitter with my nVidia Shield K1.

@Bowles: Sorry, I must have missed that. Was it a while back? What post #?

The W323B is the latest Phantom 3 Pro...
Could you define close? I only have used it 60m (180ft) max... the whole time near or far it was the same for me..
It wasnt horrible but I wouldnt call it smooth. That DJI demo looks really good. :(
Wonder if its my tablet or the bird / transmitter combo. I have the newer "C" transmitter.

I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the model variations, so I can't say what I have.
Mine is smooth at pretty much all ranges. I get glitches and interference around 600ft+ depending on environment.
If I had to guess, I'd say that DJI video was post-processed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart