Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

I'll play. That raises another question then. Which device has the least amount of lag? Is there a noticeable difference between the way the Air 2 and the Android devices?

I'll play. That raises another question then. Which device has the least amount of lag? Is there a noticeable difference between the way the Air 2 and the Android devices?
I cannot recall any specific members here who own Air 2 and a few Android tablets, and have posted his/her lag results here. You will have to do a search yourself and read through those posts.

I myself am running a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet, I have posted a short YouTube video somewhere here demonstrating mine has about 0.25 second lag.

Edit: here's my YouTube video:

Reactions: m0j0
So annoying...... Just sold iPad 2 because it wasn't compatible and now this!!!
Nice one dji! It's a Lenovo yoga 830f with all softwares updates installed.

72279d020927d63e2cb29e10326da282.jpg

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk

I cannot recall any specific members here who own Air 2 and a few Android tablets, and have posted his/her lag results here. You will have to do a search yourself and read through those posts.

I myself am running a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet, I have posted a short YouTube video somewhere here demonstrating mine has about 0.25 second lag.

Edit: here's my YouTube video:

Appreciate your comments. Seems like their wont be much difference between the apple and the Samsung.

I truly dislike apple. I hate the apple proprietary garbage. But... but... I must admit the apps are rock solid. I must admit that I have 2 apple devices after purchasing a used ipad Air 2 yesterday. I want a device dedicated to the P3P and it seems like the best choice for me. For this application I want a product that is incredibly reliable I don't need the flexibility afforded by android for this... Good grief I'm an apple fanboy..Oh well.

It's not that simple, there were a lot of problems with the apple tablets overheating, lagging and shutting down last summer.

If I was buying now, a dedicated quadcore Android tablet works just as well and often gets extra features and new features first.
If I already had a suitable ipad I'd use that it would work just fine.
Spending an extra £200 just for running the DJI app doesn't guarantee anything other than a lighter wallet. There really isn't much difference if you have a reasonably powerful option from either side.

I use a 2013 Nexus 7 I bought specifically for the job. It was a refurbished item and cost under £100.
There was a period when the app would close and restart immediately - due to a google play update - that's been fixed now and it mostly works flawlessly.

Last edited:
May not be that simple but my decision based on reading the users here was that the Air 2 seemed like the best choice for me. So I pulled the trigger on one. We will see how it works if it's garbage I will sell it and buy something else. The great thing about Apple products is they retain value. The choice for me today is the Air 2 Wifi / w Cellular. Will let you guys know what my experience is with it..

If I already had a suitable ipad I'd use that it would work just fine.
Spending an extra £200 just for running the DJI app doesn't guarantee anything other than a lighter wallet. There really isn't much difference if you have a reasonably powerful option from either side.
I disagree to some extint.. It does guarantee a few things. Namely it guarantee's that I wont have clutter or anything else on the device that I use when I'm flying. Yep it is a luxury not a necessity. And I do have the latest and greatest iPad... Not the mini's... I don't want to use my ipad for flying. I want a dedicated tablet. I don't want emails, text, KIK or anything else like that popping up while I'm flying. Like I said thanks all for your well informed comments. I will be back after I get the Air 2 and tell you how it worked for me.

OK since you have already bought an Air 2, just stick to it, no point keep thinking about "if the grass is greener on the other side". Air 2 has plenty of power and grunt to run DJI Go, plus some reserve left to run a few other apps as well.

As most know by now I am a complete NOOB when it comes to the dji go app and well the p3a as well. Having said that I was using my iphone 6 but I am a tad older with poor eye site to a degree so I did a LOT of research and went ahead and ordered a NVIDIA shield K1 tablet which arrived today... blech... cannot get the stinking dji go app to connect to my tablet.. suggestions ??

OK as per usual I make a post and then get it figured out. It was either lightbridge app I downloaded or a different USB cable I tried. I am leaning towards the USB cable.

Of course there is lag in every tablet, even in the iPad Air 2, just that it is very minimal. The lag is due to to time needed for Lightbridge to process the video signal on the drone, send it back to the R/C and then to be processed by your tablet and displayed on the screen. It is all taking place in real time so there will always be a lag. No such thing as instantaneous transmission.

I am tried a ipad mini gen 1 lag was horrible. I was able to use my iphone 5s for a day seemed pretty good.

I tried a Samsung tab 4 seems to be a little lag. Not horrible but still there. Is there any in footage app off IPad Air 2 so I can see what it looks like with app running?

iPad mini gen 1 is too old and too slow. You need at least gen 2 with the A8 CPU to run Go app well.

It was to slow I ended up selling it. Got more then I thought I would, it's a fine ipad just not good for DJI GO.

Took the Samsung tab 4 back on list might put beside it could experience some lag my video quality just on flying decent speed or gimbal changing from up a little way's just was not great. Here is a video someone else posted showing like I was experiencing below. You also have to download it other way's the Tab 4 say's not supported in google store.

Moved to a Ipad air 2 today. I think I will be happy long term even though cost me a little more.

Last edited:
My experience with tablets (I have a phantom 3 standard):

Kindle fire HDX 7" 2013 (at&t) model
Got DJI software working but maps do not work

Dragon Touch A1X Plus 10.1
Works fine but really don't care for the display on this, it is very washed out and poor quality
Maps only worked if caching the area 1st

Ipad Air (1st gen, wifi only)
works great, again Maps only worked if caching the area 1st
But it is my daughters and it has an otterbox defender case on it, making it to heavy and bulky
The case is to much of a pain to take off and put back on, on a normal basis
And it gets abused, it needs the case, it has kept it pristine for 2 years

Iphone 5S
Works great but way to small of a display

I have ordered a ASUS Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation), hopefully that will do the trick.
From what I have read I will need to cache the maps for them to work

My experience with tablets (I have a phantom 3 standard):

Kindle fire HDX 7" 2013 (at&t) model
Got DJI software working but maps do not work

Dragon Touch A1X Plus 10.1
Works fine but really don't care for the display on this, it is very washed out and poor quality
Maps only worked if caching the area 1st

Ipad Air (1st gen, wifi only)
works great, again Maps only worked if caching the area 1st
But it is my daughters and it has an otterbox defender case on it, making it to heavy and bulky
The case is to much of a pain to take off and put back on, on a normal basis
And it gets abused, it needs the case, it has kept it pristine for 2 years

Iphone 5S
Works great but way to small of a display

I have ordered a ASUS Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation), hopefully that will do the trick.
From what I have read I will need to cache the maps for them to work
You have to cache the maps prior to flight on any device that doesn't have a cellular data connection, which is everything you listed sans the 5S.

Nexus 7 II is a nice find and works very well for the price point.

You have to cache the maps prior to flight on any device that doesn't have a cellular data connection, which is everything you listed sans the 5S.

Nexus 7 II is a nice find and works very well for the price point.

Yes the Nexus 7 2nd Gen is probably the best bargain for this application. I bought a new 16GB version for $109 on Groupon. Decided to pick up a slightly used 32GB model off eBay for $94. It works well with little or no lag. I also got a used iPad mini 2 128GB 4G for $300 and decided to keep it as my primary mobile tablet and just use the cheaper Nexus for my usual phantom flights.If I eventually fly waypoints I'll switch over to the iPad min 2.

In a perfect world I would have a lot more money and purchased a Ipad air 2 or ipad pro on the verizon network as a dedicated tablet for this.

With the Phantom 3 Standard it uses wifi to connect to the controller (no cable option).
So like you stated, unless using a device with a cellular connection, I will have to launch the app, tether to my iphone, cache the maps, then disconnect from my phone and connect back to the controller.

I got the 16GB version and a 3d printer made sunshade, hopefully it will work out well.

Regarding waypoints, do I need to have something that has a cellular connection?

Thanks

I have cracked it imu is a group of sensors a combination of accelerometers and gyroscopes, sometimes also magnetometers and or compass combined with gps. This is what the tablet needs the have for follow me to work on the P3S. The are a number of apps you can down load to check if a tablet has the sensors. Or if you're buying a new one it's a lot of checking spec sheets

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart