Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

im speaking of the little hdmi to component (rca jack) converter. it needs the usb on the side to supply 5vdc to the converter box. i have one identical and it needs the 5vdc to work. im using almost the same setup as you. the hobby king goggles with the 5" display and fresnel lens are good...but with my old eyes i still cant focus that close. im expirementing with the google cardboard goggles using an old cell phone and actually like that setup better. still havent found a good workable combination.

The converter I posted the link to is an HDMI to 'composite' video.
I'm not using an HDMI to component video (which uses 3 RCA connectors marked Y, PB/CB and PR/CR).

Here are some pics of my set up running DJI Go on the $88 Proscan and sending it to the 5" composite monitor for the goggles, via an HDMI cable to the $12 HDMI to composite video converter, and on to the monitor via an RCA cable, with nothing attached to the converter but the HDMI and composite video RCA cables (no USB power cable at all).
The monitor does need 12V DC power (in the pics I'm using a wall wart, but in practice I use a small LiPo, and put it all in an old fanny pack).

HDMI set-up 1.jpg
HDMI set-up 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vincegiles
Also ...I too suffer from farsightedness (one of the wonders of aging :mad:) and found that using two Fresnel lens cut so each center of the lens is centered on each eye ... helps a lot.
Hot glue, patience and time are needed, but it is doable with this el-cheapo set of goggles.

But I do agree that a smart phone VR goggle set with interpupilary 'and' diopter adjustments for both far and nearsightedness would be best for us older folks.
Most of these types of goggles are only capable of correction for nearsightedness (and some even spec/disclose that).

But these might be the answer for us older males, that seem to suffer from farsightedness more progressively as we get older ...... :(
Amazon.com: Homido Virtual Reality Headset for 4-6" iPhone/Android/Windows Smartphones. Similar to Google Cardboard, Oculus Rift and Samsung Gear VR: Electronics

A tad pricey ... but if they work to provide clear FPV without giving us a headache ... I'm all in! :)

Plus, they look like they 'might' allow the use of the 5" monitor with the converter which allows us to use both a tablet (as normal) and the 5" monitor inside the googles, as opposed of having to chose between a large tablet or goggles, without the expense and doing mod to use the DJI HDMI port for the controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reed L
the hdmi converter i have is the same as yours only its black. for some reason going from a mini hdmi output on my tab to standard hdmi then to the box it requires the 5vdc input from a usb. im going to order the white one and see if there is any difference. of course it could be the output of the tab too. ill order the hdmi box for the controller and see what happens with it. i didnt think about using two fresnel lenses on the hobby king goggles. the lenses with the google goggles work much better. may have to order the homido goggles and play with them. one day maybe we can get this figured out!

Reactions: Flyer91
the tab a works great if you dont need an hdmi port. i use an el cheapo 10" tab for the hdmi port on it

Yeah, with things like these inexpensive Asian converters (IMHO) it's as much a "luck of the draw" that you get a version that has all the latest components and firmware to make it work with all mobile devices having similar specifications.
Like I reported, my droid Xoom with running 4.1.2 it would not work properly at all, either with or without the USB, but it's perfectly happy with the el-chepo Proscan 10" on 4.4 and just the HDMI and RCA cables. <go figure :confused:>

I too am curious to see how the Homido googles might work with my aging eyes.
The pictures seem to indicate that the 5" monitor will slip right into their open style clamping holder, and of all the VR googles I've seen so far ... they are the only ones that advertise having the ability to adjust for (the typical male aging eyes') farsightedness.
I am hoping it will be enough.

I'll tell ya ... if I had known that this getting older situation has so many drawbacks, I'd of sought an opt-out plan, and stuck with the life experience ... and a still decently functional body, at ~55 or so.
They ought'a make an app for that!! ;)

After more research I'm not sure the Homido will work with the 5" video monitor from the Quanum kit build goggles.
It seems these type of VR goggles need a split screen image to see streaming video.
The descriptions seem to indicate that each eye has to see an entire frame independently, and will require a mobile device running and app to do the required split screen, 'even' for non VR regular streaming video.
At least that's how I'm reading it all. :(

I think we are going to be stuck using modified Fresnel lens (one for each eye) as the best and least expensive bet to have both the tablet and goggles.
As a last ditch, I have measured the distance from my eyes to the monitor ... with it mounted on the very end of the headset instead of in the slot (to get the max distance) and am going to a local drug store to try on different power reading glasses to see if a stronger set than the 2.75 that I normally use, will get me in close enough to 86 the Fresnels.
As soon as I have any results I'll post back.

lemme know about the glasses. i got a pair of 3.0 and they still werent enough! the google glasses take a split screen too. sux gettin old! lol!

I use Samsung Tab 4. Although google play said it was incompatible I have had no issues.

I'll tell ya ... if I had known that this getting older situation has so many drawbacks, I'd of sought an opt-out plan, and stuck with the life experience ... and a still decently functional body, at ~55 or so.
They ought'a make an app for that!! ;)

lemme know about the glasses. i got a pair of 3.0 and they still werent enough! the google glasses take a split screen too. sux gettin old! lol!

Drop in at Dollar Tree and pick up some more glasses because if you need a 3.0 right now and that's at 14"+ away from your face and you need to get to 4" away then you may have to triple it but I would try 6.0 first and then slowly work up if needed. You can easily do this if you have 2 pair, just put one over the other, then the googles, lol. I know you meant giggles :D or goggles. Or was it the movie?
Dr.Giggles

New to the forum here guys but thank you for all the information that you guys are providing out here. I'm due to get my first P3P in the next few days and I've been reading this thread and have an older iPad 2, not the air. I was wondering how this will work with the Phantom.

Look forward to hearing your replies.

DW

I use Samsung Tab 4. Although google play said it was incompatible I have had no issues.
**** I know this thread is in reference to the DJI Go app, but I had an issue with Litchi and Litchi support was telling me that the SDK that DJI send them is NOT as refined and the 3rd party apps may not work as efficient and even though a tablet or phone may be listed here, it still may have issues with 3rd party software. Just a side note.

After playing about with it all today, I found that if I use my magnifying headset ... like these ...
41QL3tLcINL._SY300_.jpg

... with 1.9X main lens, and also using it's it's internal flip-down set of 1.9X, 'plus' the loupe, looking through them all at a combined of 8.3X, I could get a nice, clear, wide enough FOV image, with them placed at a distance that should work in side the Quanums.

So on a whim ... I searched Amazon for "magnifying headset replacement lens" and after some fumbling about there, I found this:
Amazon.com: Donegan OptiSIGHT Replacement Lensplate: Industrial & Scientific
They look to be the same as the lens in my headset, and those will make a nice fit inside the Quanums.
Note: Diopter is not the same as Power, it seems to be about half of Power (???) according to the detail info in the ad for these on Amazon.

Anyway .... I ordered as set and hope to be able to stack them as per my little experiment ... and as per Reed L suggested above (thanks!!) to get to the sweet spot!
I'll hot glue up a frame to hold them and add the side tabs to move them back and forth ... like the Frensels in the Quanum.

Should be here next week ......

Last edited:
**** I know this thread is in reference to the DJI Go app, but I had an issue with Litchi and Litchi support was telling me that the SDK that DJI send them is NOT as refined and the 3rd party apps may not work as efficient and even though a tablet or phone may be listed here, it still may have issues with 3rd party software. Just a side note.

Good point!
Thanks Iceman, I'll be sure to try out Litchi as soon as I DL it (when I do).
I recently read that they have a fairly short time frame (I think 30 mins was quoted) to get a refund it if doesn't work.
That's pretty much a single flight 'right' after doing the DL, and maybe even 'too' short to really ring it all out, especially if a person doesn't make up a list to use as a script of what they 'should do' to fully test it, before hand ...... (????)

Good point!
Thanks Iceman, I'll be sure to try out Litchi as soon as I DL it (when I do).
I recently read that they have a fairly short time frame (I think 30 mins was quoted) to get a refund it if doesn't work.
That's pretty much a single flight 'right' after doing the DL, and maybe even 'too' short to really ring it all out, especially if a person doesn't make up a list to use as a script of what they 'should do' to fully test it, before hand ...... (????)
I have spoke to tech support. They were willing to refund me my money three days later. I had a conversation with them through Facebook and they were very helpful. I think you will be happy.

so...there is a difference between the Black and the white hdmi2av converter. they look identical except the black one requires 5vdc from the USB the white one does not. hummmm. gotta love Chinese engineering and consistency!

Download the apk from the DJI site and side load it.
Where are you guys finding this to download outside of the Play store? I browsed around the DJI website, and didn't see anything except links to Play and the App Store.

I'm "shopping" this thread for a new tablet for the P3P. I have an iPad Mini Wifi (the original) and it has no GPS, and a Samsung Tab 2 that works, but keeps dropping connection and it's bigger and heavier than I want, so I'm looking for something in the 7-8" range that will run it well. I'm planning on using the tablet 99% for running Go. So far, looks like the Tab A and Nexus 7 (or 8?) are the frontrunners, though the WalMart one also looks good.
TIA.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164