Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Debating between the iPad Mini 4 and iPad Pro to use with my new P3. I'm thinking the Pro may be a little too big/ heavy, although it would be amazing to fly on a 12.9" screen.
I have (iPhone 6+, Air 2 and mini 4) and to me the Air is too big. The Mini 4 is much brighter than my old mini 2 and as of today with the new DJI iOS Go APP fixed the lag problems with iOS 9 - I'm really liken my setup!

Just a few pics of that 8 inch ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA). Developer mode enabled with debugging on. Seems to be working well with no overheating issues after using 3 batteries.

Power on button located lower on the side making you mount it off center but overall pretty nice.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445213598.473997.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445213629.217220.jpg

Hi everyone. I have a Phantom 3 Advanced on the way this week, and I understand my LG G4 isn't going to be a great option. It sounds like an iPad Mini 2 could be good, but I have one question. (And, sorry if it was answered before.) If I get the wifi-only version, and tether it to my phone's hotspot capability, will the return to home work properly? Or, does the GPS actually need to be in the tablet that is mounted on the controller? (I really don't want to spend several hundred more just to get a cellular version I don't want to use.)

Thanks!

RTH will work fine, on it's own. With the iPads, it's only the Cellular versions that have built in GPS. You already understand this.
You only need a GPS enabled device for Follow Me, also if you want to change your Home Point to the current radio controller location, if you move around. Anyway you can cache your maps from a wifi hot spot, which for you would be the phone, if that works for Apple devices?

RedHotPoker

RTH will work fine, on it's own. With the iPads, it's only the Cellular versions that have built in GPS. You already understand this.
You only need a GPS enabled device for Follow Me, also if you want to change your Home Point to the current radio controller location, if you move around. Anyway you can cache your maps from a wifi hot spot, which for you would be the phone, if that works for Apple devices?

RedHotPoker

How does it know where "home" is if the iPad doesn't have GPS? I guess it can't learn through tethering... do I need to set it somehow? How long does that take to set manually? I'd want it to be quick since I could stand anywhere for the first time and want that to be my home. (Sorry for what may be obvious questions, but without the drone here yet, I can only guess at what the UI might look like.)

(And I doubt I'd use Follow Me... that sounds like a bad idea in this area of the world where everything is hills and trees.)

How does it know where "home" is if the iPad doesn't have GPS? I guess it can't learn through tethering... do I need to set it somehow? How long does that take to set manually? I'd want it to be quick since I could stand anywhere for the first time and want that to be my home. (Sorry for what may be obvious questions, but without the drone here yet, I can only guess at what the UI might look like.)

(And I doubt I'd use Follow Me... that sounds like a bad idea in this area of the world where everything is hills and trees.)
each time you power up the Phantom's internal gps fires up and quickly notes home position.....it also gives an audible announcement that it has set home point. So being without gps in your tablet won't be an issue for that......however to be able to walk or drive from home point and have it update your new location mid-flight it will need a gps enabled device, but that's only in the case that you plan to leave your home area while in flight..... (not likely but worth noting)

Reactions: Reed L and Porc
each time you power up the Phantom's internal gps fires up and quickly notes home position.....it also gives an audible announcement that it has set home point. So being without gps in your tablet won't be an issue for that......however to be able to walk or drive from home point and have it update your new location mid-flight it will need a gps enabled device, but that's only in the case that you plan to leave your home area while in flight..... (not likely but worth noting)

Excellent! That's a relief, thanks for your help. So I'm off now to order a Mini 2 to arrive at the same time as the drone...

I had drop out issues with a Samsung Tab4 and now have a Tab A with no issues. I suggest to dedicate the tablet to just the quad. Remove all apps possible and use app killer software prior to running DJI and/or Litchi.

I cant connect with my Nexus 7 2013, No Signal. It was working fine suddenly it doesnt connect.
Had the same problem this weekend. was going between Litchi and DJI Go. Figured out that DJI has gotten set as default app for USB so Litchi got No Signal. Just had to go through settings and clear default. If that is not it, I would suspect a cable problem.

Had the same problem this weekend. was going between Litchi and DJI Go. Figured out that DJI has gotten set as default app for USB so Litchi got No Signal. Just had to go through settings and clear default. If that is not it, I would suspect a cable problem.
It connects with Note 4 and iphone 6 without a problem. tried different cable same problem with Nexus 7 II

I have a Galaxy Tab 4A, it works good, but every five or six flights I have to do a "factory reset" of the tablet or the video starts to get really choppy/laggy...I tried using the "app killer" to disable all the background processes and apps, but it didn't seem to matter. I still had to "factory reset" every so often.

I have the Samsung Note 5 and have had zero problems

Same here. Works like a champ. I went into one of our local electronics stores and tried a cheap 10" tablet they had on sale for $99 CDN. I brought the quadcopter right into the store and tested it right there with the staff present (didn't fly...just loaded the app and linked everything up).

The tablet was a Proscan running 4.4 KitKat. Cpu speed "Up to 13Ghz". ARM Cortex A7 quadcore Super 30 GPU processor. 8GB storage with 1GB DDR3 ram.

It wouldn't process video properly. As soon as we switched the camera from still to video, the whole thing looked like the old color TV test patterns, but the bars were horizontal. They gave me a refund. :) I'll have to wait for a few more pay cheques to come in before buying something with more processing jam. :)

I been waiting for the shield 2 to come out. There was a rumor when the P3 came out so I waited. But now with the recall, looks like it won't be coming out anytime soon. Tab s vs s2 is almost the same spec but I'm hearing s2 is better and the tab s having lag. Look like I'm going to get a tab s2 once I have free time

My iPad mini 2works great with the P3P and Go as well as a program I am beta testing currently. I use my iPhone as hotspot to load maps then I turn off the hotspot, and set my iPad to airport mode when flying.

Another thing is I dedicate this iPad to the P3P only, no extra apps and I only run GO nothing else when flying, I even quit settings.

If I've been running the app in an HTC and I want to move to a tablet on the approved list, is there anything I need to do about the HTC? In other words is their any particular thing I need to do to "delete" the HTC and begin using the tablet? Should the DJI Go work on the tablet right out of the box?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164