Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

BACK-TO-BACK FLIGHT RESULTS: Nexus 7 LTE vs Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C)

I finally had the chance to run back-to-back flights, comparing the Nexus 7 LTE against the recently-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (note: this is the Z580C, not the soon-to-be-released Z580CA), and the results were interesting. Having finally received a third battery, I decided to use the first battery to “warm” the drone up, as well as to satisfy my curiosity in a couple areas (speed, and distance). Being that I live in the south SF Bay Area, I decided to test in South San Jose…partially because the “no-fly” zone extends too far north, due to the San Jose airport, and partially because I know there’s a lot of air-signal interference. I figured, if it can fly a considerable distance with this much radio interference, once I get it to a signal-free area, it will, in all likelihood, travel much further.

I started the first flight (using the ZenPad S 8.0) by ascending to 121 meters (just under the 400 foot ceiling, at 396.982 feet) at a fairly brisk pace. I then aimed it in the direction I felt would give it the longest line-of-sight path, and blasted it forward at full speed. With a reasonable wind blowing (the problem with Bay Area wind is that it’s constantly changing direction), it topped out at just under 30mph…not bad, in my estimate, and for which I’m guessing it would go faster if there was no wind. As for distance, I was just about to break 5,600 feet (1.06 miles) when I lost signal. If it can make it to 5,600 feet in a radio-infested area like San Jose, I can only wonder how far it can go in a radio-free (or, at least, seriously radio-diminished) area.

Now for the part everyone has been waiting for…Rocky vs Bullwinkle…oops, Rocky vs Apollo Creed…oops, Nexus 7 LTE vs Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C).

For flight/battery #1, using the Nexus 7 LTE, I started by ascending to 200 feet, followed by purposely “wobbling” the right stick as much as possible. While the image (meaning the horizon, etc) being received remained as stable as possible, I can’t say the same for the image quality. There was, almost immediately, moderate pixilation in the areas where the props appeared. Increasing the height to 350 feet, as well as moving the P3P to a distance of 500 feet, I performed the same “wobble” test. This time, the pixilation increased. I performed the “wobble” test one final time, this time at a distance of 2,000 feet. Again, there was pixilation in the prop areas, but more severe than the previous tests. At this point, I repeated the “speed/distance test” portion of my first flight, although, this time around, I wasn’t moving the P3P as fast, nor was I interested in actual distance achieved…I was keeping an eye on the video quality, as viewed from the tablet. Multiple times the images appearing on the N7 got distorted…sometimes with the entire screen becoming pixelated, albeit minor pixilation. Several times there were what I can only describe as multi-colored “bars” running across the screen, from left to right. During this flight, while the app, itself, didn’t crash, Google Play Services did crash. Overall, I can say that the new Go (2.0.0) app does run better than the previous 1.2.0 version, and the video image, as viewed from the N7, did appear more “fluid”. Feeling the tablet, while it wasn't hot enough to cook an egg, it was somewhat hot.

Next came flight/battery #2, using the Asus ZenPad S 8.0. Right from the beginning, things were better. Running through all the same tests, the ZenPad surpassed the N7 LTE in all the “wobble” tests. Does this mean that there was no pixilation? No. But, the pixilation was less than that viewed on the N7 LTE. In comparison, the 2,000 foot test with the ZenPad looked similar to the 500 foot test with the N7, and the 500 foot test with the ZenPad looked similar to the “200 feet straight above” test. As for the “200 feet straight above” test with the ZenPad, it was so minor, as to almost be unnoticeable. Moving on to the “speed/distance” portion of the test, there were a couple occurrences of the “multi-colored” bar, but they weren’t as severe, nor did they last as long. As for the ZenPad's temperature, while it wasn't cool, it was cooler than the N7 LTE. This is interesting for two reasons. First, considering it's running a considerably more powerful CPU/GPU, one might expect the ZenPad to have the higher temperature. The second reason is that, while the case of the N7 LTE is entirely plastic, the case of the ZenPad uses a decent amount of metal, thus another reason that it should be the warmer of the two. The fact that the ZenPad was the cooler of the two is just another reason why the ZenPad is the better tablet to use with the P3P.

Conclusion: First off, in regards to the multi-colored bars, as viewed during both tests, I can only assume these had nothing to do with the tablets, themselves, and was due to the speed the P3P was traveling, as well as the distance it was from the transmitter. On the other hand, in regards to the “wobble” tests, considering that the ZenPad had considerably better viewable video, I can only conclude that it IS due to the tablet. For those interested, I recommend getting the Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and using that as your controller tablet. Better yet, if you’re willing to spend an extra $100, and wait a little longer, instead of the currently-available $199 Z580C model, you should consider ordering the Z580CA model. While the Z580C has 2GB RAM, & 32GB storage capacity, the Z580CA comes with 4GB RAM, & 64GB of storage capacity. Of course, these aren’t the only benefits of the Z580CA, as there are a few additional plusses, such as a faster CPU, better main camera, etc. The point is, comparing the N7 LTE against the ZenPad S 8.0, whether you get the 4/32GB version @ $199, or the 4/64GB version @ $299, you will still have a considerably better tablet than the N7 LTE. As for someone else’s earlier comment about the nVidia Shield being “the best”…these two Asus ZenPad S 8.0 models will give it a run for its money…and, speaking of money, both ASUS ZenPads cost considerably less than the nVidia Shield.

Updated update: I forgot to mention that I also have on order (should be delivered by the end of this week) the DJI carbon fiber props. Once they've been received, I'll do a back-to-back comparison of these against the stock props, including (if I can figure out how to post them in here) video of both flights, flying the exact same paths, so that anyone interested in the carbon fiber props can see what, if any, difference they make.

Thank you for such an in depth review. Although I currently use the iPad Air 2 I would love to get a dedicated tablet for my p3. Does anyone know the release date for the Z580CA ? I don't mind paying the extra cash to get better performance

I have a galaxy tab 3 7inch and have never had it get hot even in 100 degree weather.. Although my video feed is choppy I guess I'm fortunate it doesn't get hot.

Just placed an order for the Z580CA. Estimated availability only said mid August. I'll be waiting

Based on good preliminary results posted here, I bought the ZenPad S 8.0 from Best Buy for $229. Loaded the DJI Go app. The first batt flew perfect. The second batt the tablet froze, turned that B&W look, and the center spot that says "Good to fly" said "Disconnected" . I could not do anything to get FPV back. RTH. The tablet was hot as 7734, I think it went into cool down mode. I power cycled the tablet. Flew another 5 minutes and the same thing.

I do not have any kind of sun shade, and it was nearly 100 degrees. So maybe not a fair test. I am going to make a sunshield and try again before my return period runs out. I really do not want to go rotten apple
Mine works well. Just as a FYI best buy will sell it for 199 as they price match b&h.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Are you using a sunshield? If so what one?

I have the DJI sunshield for tablet, and it's not only good, it also folds flat, & easily fits inside my GoProfessional case. The only down side is that almost all tablets have their USB port (along the bottom) in the center, while the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 has its USB port close to the right side. In order to use the shield with the ZenPad, I'm going to have to cut an opening in the shield.

Not on Asus. Just got it.

I ordered the Z580CA this afternoon, after being home from my back-to-back Nexus 7 LTE vs ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C) comparison flights. I'm debating on whether I should give my Nexus 7 LTE to my girlfriend, replace the N7 with one of the two ZenPads, and use the other ZenPad as my dedicated P3P tablet (all of which is my original plan)...or whether I should keep the N7 for all my non-P3P uses, wait for the Z580CA to be delivered (making it my dedicated P3P tablet), & return the Z580C to Best Buy.

While my girlfriend has been wanting a tablet, she only wants it for reading, & she really doesn't read enough to warrant a tablet. Besides, since Google introduced the ability to have multiple users on a single tablet, each with their own account & login, we could always share the Nexus 7. Whichever u decide, I WILL have the Z580CA version of the ZenPad.

I'm liking the Acer Iconia 8 Tab, and for the low-low price of $150 you're getting HDMI out should you want to experiment with goggles. With a hood, the IPS 1080P screen is plenty bright outdoors. And If it's going to be a dedicated FPV I'm not sure you need or want a higher resolution. Using both Litchi and Pilot apps stutter free. Remember, to be compatible with Follow Me feature you'll need GPS on the device.

I ordered the Z580CA this afternoon, after being home from my back-to-back Nexus 7 LTE vs ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580C) comparison flights. I'm debating on whether I should give my Nexus 7 LTE to my girlfriend, replace the N7 with one of the two ZenPads, and use the other ZenPad as my dedicated P3P tablet (all of which is my original plan)...or whether I should keep the N7 for all my non-P3P uses, wait for the Z580CA to be delivered (making it my dedicated P3P tablet), & return the Z580C to Best Buy.

While my girlfriend has been wanting a tablet, she only wants it for reading, & she really doesn't read enough to warrant a tablet. Besides, since Google introduced the ability to have multiple users on a single tablet, each with their own account & login, we could always share the Nexus 7. Whichever u decide, I WILL have the Z580CA version of the ZenPad.

I really don't have a need for two tablets as I am flush with devices for internet around here.

I would prefer the Samsung to work. I like the Asus a lot but the display on Samsung Tab S is superior to the Asus.

I'm liking the Acer Iconia 8 Tab, and for the low-low price of $150 you're getting HDMI out should you want to experiment with goggles. With a hood, the IPS 1080P screen is plenty bright outdoors. And If it's going to be a dedicated FPV I'm not sure you need or want a higher resolution. Using both Litchi and Pilot apps stutter free. Remember, to be compatible with Follow Me feature you'll need GPS on the device.

Something to think about when using a tablet with HDMI out...the video lag will be increased for anything you plug into the tablet's HDMI out. If you truly want to use goggles, you'd be MUCH better off getting the HDMI upgrade module (DJI Part 54, $99), as the video lag will not only be less compared to plugging into the tablet's HDMI out, but it should also be slightly less compared to the video lag as viewed on the tablet, itself.

Additionally, anything plugged into a tablet's HDMI out is going to display the exact same image that's viewed on the tablet, including the app info (ie. screen casting/mirroring). On the other hand, plugging goggles, or a screen, into the HDMI port on the HDMI upgrade middle with give you just the video stream, itself (although you do have the ability to also have the telemetry data show, if you'd like). Installing the HDMI upgrade module is quite simple, and took less than 20 minutes, start-to-finish. Again, it's a FAR better solution than plugging goggles/LCD into a tablet's HDMI out.

Is there anything I can do to make the lag from the video feed less? As it is now, it's hard to really shoot because I'm at least a half-second behind, not to mention when I get to going fairly fast it gets choppy. (may have been answered earlier, I'm just throwing this out there)

I like the Asus a lot but the display on Samsung Tab S is superior to the Asus.

Just because the resolution of the Galaxy Tab S is higher doesn't mean it's better. In case you're not aware, Samsung I'd about to release the Galaxy Tab S2, and with the new model, they've LOWERED the resolution (to the same resolution as the Asus ZenPad S 8.0). If you're doing something like photo editing, then, yes, a higher resolution screen is better...but, when using a tablet for P3 control, there are a few things to remember, including the fact that a higher resolution screen is going to eat through the battery much quicker.

Think about the resolution of the P3's steamed video...720p. Why would you need, or even want, a screen work a resolution as high as the Galaxy Tab S? Compares the specs of your Tab S against other tablets, and find out, for yourself, which is actually better for use with the P3. Comparing performance & price, together, you should come to realize that certain other tablets (ie. Nexus 7 (2013), nVidia Shield, Asus ZenPad S 8.0...and, yes, even the iPad Mini 2) are a better choice.

Also using a Tab 8, with DJI GO app. A good test flight today, 90m up (legal limit here) and 250m out, all video was smooth, and the screen was plenty bright to be visible. Very pleased for a $150 tablet, though I may upgrade to the new super ZenPad when it comes out.

[Report] Asus ZenPad S 8.0, DJI Go app

Another couple of lunchtime batts flown with the Asus today

But first, yesterday, very smooth fpv with no sun shade in bright sun, 95 degree weather, but the tab got hot and shut down the app. I could not restart the app without restarting the Asus.

Last night I home brewed a sunshade from some black foam and a sunshade from my 5.8 fpv monitor. I flew 2 batts with the sunshade, and no over heating. Smooth fpv. I did get one google.services pop up on the second batt. I was able to restart the app pretty quickly without shutting down the Asus.

I am pretty good with android. I have read many of the goog.serv threads. But with a brand new tablet, there is no older version of goog.serv to go back to. Any other workarounds?

Just because the resolution of the Galaxy Tab S is higher doesn't mean it's better. .

I don't believe I said anything about resolution. I said the display is "superior".

It is brighter and easier to see when outdoors. For FPV that is almost as important as framerate.

If DJI improves performance of the app where it will run on the Samsung Tab S, the Asus will go back on the shelf.

What's interesting, at least with my impromptu comparison of the Nexus 7 2013 model and the newer Galaxy Tab S
I found the Nexus 7 was more eligible then the Samsung in direct sunlight. I did this last year when I was shopping for a tablet to use with my S900 Lightbridge setup. I ended up just using my Note 3 which is fine with Lightbridge.

Reactions: rrmccabe
But first, yesterday, very smooth fpv with no sun shade in bright sun, 95 degree weather, but the tab got hot and shut down the app. I could not restart the app without restarting the Asus..
Sigh, living in Phoenix AZ area, the high temps are with us. My iPad has also "temped out" every time I have flown my new P2A.

Well I finally got the Go App to work on my Note 3, turned out to be a bad USB3 cable. Figures...
Anyways what is the latest on 8 inch Android tablets?
I assume everyone here is waiting fort the new ASUS Z580CA, I placed an order for on from B&H about 10 days ago. Still no shipping info yet...

Not sure if I had mentioned in OP, I am interested in a Android tablet because I also run DJI Lightbridge on my S900 and the app only is for Android...

Well I finally got the Go App to work on my Note 3, turned out to be a bad USB3 cable. Figures...
Anyways what is the latest on 8 inch Android tablets?
I assume everyone here is waiting fort the new ASUS Z580CA, I placed an order for on from B&H about 10 days ago. Still no shipping info yet...

Not sure if I had mentioned in OP, I am interested in a Android tablet because I also run DJI Lightbridge on my S900 and the app only is for Android...
Cables have been a common failure point-- pays to have a spare.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18