Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Since the Pilot app seems to be such a resource hog, I'm wondering if the extra 2GB of memory will give more stable performance over time.

Honestly, this is a possibility, and one I hadn't thought of before. Truth be told, this is only because I wasn't aware as to how much of a resource hog the DJI Pilot app is. Since the Android version of DJI Go (aka version 2.0.0) isn't out yet, there's the possibility that the programmers have "trimmed the bacon off the hog", in the same way that Symantec rewrote Norton, from the ground-up, a few years ago. Just as Norton had become a (serious) resource hog, but has been made considerably faster (in every aspect), the Android version of DJI Go could turn out to be a similar "clean-up".

If it turns out to still be hogging resources, then my previously-mentioned idea of picking up a Z580CA as a replacement for the N7 LTE I'd give my girlfriend could be rethought. Instead, I would still (probably) pick up the Z580CA, but that tablet would become the dedicated P3P tablet. Once the DJI Go app is released for Android, I will compare its use against the DJI Pilot app, on both the Z580C, as well as the N7 LTE. I might go so far as to make one flight using DJI Go on the Z580C, followed by a second flight using DJI Pilot on the N7 LTE, and compare the two against each other.

Received today my Chuwi Vi8 tablet....

Just root it, clean some chinese apps, them did install app 1.1.0 and tuned...so far so good.
Need a real test...

P.S. Wi-Fi was ON, seems Google Maps is working, meaning i can use my phone as wi-fi source :)))

Thank you for the info- the Nexus 7 that I am looking at is $149 on Amazon (I may be looking at the wrong thing). If that price is accurate I could justify stripping it and using it only for the Phantom.

Considering that Google had all production on the Nexus 7 (as well as the Nexus 10) stopped shortly before the release of the Nexus 9, it is quite possible that the $149 price you mentioned could be correct. The only thing is that it is almost guaranteed to be a 16GB unit and/or used. If it's used, as long as everything is in working order, and there's no problem with the screen (the first-run of all N7 2013 had some serious screen problems, due to the adhesive not being strong enough to hold the screen completely to the tablet body), then I'd consider it.

On the other hand, if it's a 16GB model, I HIGHLY recommend NOT getting it. For a number of reasons you NEVER want to get an Android tablet with 16GB (or less) of storage. The biggest reason has to do with installed apps, and the remaining available storage. Now, if the ONLY app you will be installing is the DJI app (Pilot, or Go), then what I said about "never" getting a 16GB (or less) tablet is null & void, as the remaining storage problem is only exhibited when when available storage falls below 4GB. In thinking about this, one needs to remember that formatted capacity is always less than the stated capacity. On top of that, the OS, itself, is taking up approximately 25% of the capacity. If you have, for example, a 16GB tablet, the actual useable capacity will be closer to 10-11GB, as the remainder as used by the OS, as well as what is lost during formatting. It's for this reason that most people purchase phones/tablets with the highest capacity they can afford. Making matters "worse" (depending on how you view additional storage ability), the Nexus devices (ALL Nexus phones & tablets) have no microSD slots (similar to how Apple devices are designed), thus you can not add additional storage...you are, in turn, limited to the storage capacity of whatever the phone/tablet came with.

Considering that Google had all production on the Nexus 7 (as well as the Nexus 10) stopped shortly before the release of the Nexus 9, it is quite possible that the $149 price you mentioned could be correct. The only thing is that it is almost guaranteed to be a 16GB unit and/or used. If it's used, as long as everything is in working order, and there's no problem with the screen (the first-run of all N7 2013 had some serious screen problems, due to the adhesive not being strong enough to hold the screen completely to the tablet body), then I'd consider it.

On the other hand, if it's a 16GB model, I HIGHLY recommend NOT getting it. For a number of reasons you NEVER want to get an Android tablet with 16GB (or less) of storage. The biggest reason has to do with installed apps, and the remaining available storage. Now, if the ONLY app you will be installing is the DJI app (Pilot, or Go), then what I said about "never" getting a 16GB (or less) tablet is null & void, as the remaining storage problem is only exhibited when when available storage falls below 4GB. In thinking about this, one needs to remember that formatted capacity is always less than the stated capacity. On top of that, the OS, itself, is taking up approximately 25% of the capacity. If you have, for example, a 16GB tablet, the actual useable capacity will be closer to 10-11GB, as the remainder as used by the OS, as well as what is lost during formatting. It's for this reason that most people purchase phones/tablets with the highest capacity they can afford. Making matters "worse" (depending on how you view additional storage ability), the Nexus devices (ALL Nexus phones & tablets) have no microSD slots (similar to how Apple devices are designed), thus you can not add additional storage...you are, in turn, limited to the storage capacity of whatever the phone/tablet came with.

Spot-on info! Thank you so much. I work in film so I live in an Apple world. All things Android are very foreign to me- Thank you for the detailed answer. I think that I am going to give the N7 16gig a try as it will be for flying only. I'm feeling cheap right now after ordering 3 more batteries!

Spot-on info! Thank you so much. I work in film so I live in an Apple world. All things Android are very foreign to me- Thank you for the detailed answer. I think that I am going to give the N7 16gig a try as it will be for flying only. I'm feeling cheap right now after ordering 3 more batteries!

Having ordered (supposed to be delivered today) a third battery, I understand what you mean. The Nexus 7 tablet...especially the 2013 version, as opposed to the original...in, and of, itself, is an excellent tablet. I owned the original N7 (which only came in 8GB & 16GB versions (I had the 16GB), which I replaced with the 2013 LTE (32GB) once it was released), and I must admit, it's an excellent tablet. Nexus devices, whether phone or tablet, are the ONLY way to get a pure-stock version of Android pre-installed. Yes, you can root almost any other Android tablet, and install a stock Android ROM, but it's not the same as receiving it that way. This is not to say that "pure" Android is without its faults, as it has some, just as modified versions have problems, and just as iOS has its problems. There is no such thing as a 100% bug-free OS...I don't care if you're talking about computers, phones, tablets, or "whatever"...NOTHING is bug-free. But, when it comes to Android devices, you will have the least amount of problems if you're using a stock version of the OS.

As for your interest/willingness to enter the "Android World", I welcome you to a better world...a world where you can truly customize your experience; a world where you get to make decisions, not the manufacturer; a world with considerably more users, and, thus, more people to help when/where needed...MOST importantly, a world not CONTROLLED by the manufacturer/developer.

Since receiving my P3P, I've used my Nexus 7 (2013) LTE, but I've just acquired the just-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0, and from the test flight I made earlier this week, I had no problems, whatsoever. Using the Nexus 7, I've had the same problems (app crashing, choppy video feed, etc) experienced by others. Next week, I'll make several more flights using the ZenPad S 8.0, and, as long as it continues to be problem-free, this will replace my Nexus 7 as my P3P tablet.
Definitely like an update when you get the opportunity

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ipad mini 3 4G - Galaxy s6 Edge working perfectly no problem or lag at all, (the ipad screen is not as bright as the s6 edge), Galaxy tab4 ok with some lag ( the galaxy's are great in brightness legibility in sunlight)

trying to get my galaxy Tab S 10.5" to work with P3P
when i disable google play services, i lose my map in the Pilot App, and all i see is this smiley face and chinese text.

i thought i disable all the garbage bloatware, and yet my tablet is still using 67%-70% of it's RAM....3GB

i disable touchwiz...i think,, still nothing,
somone else me please....don't want to buy another tablet, especially and Ipad, where i cant add Micro SD

trying to get my galaxy Tab S 10.5" to work with P3P
when i disable google play services, i lose my map in the Pilot App, and all i see is this smiley face and chinese text.

i thought i disable all the garbage bloatware, and yet my tablet is still using 67%-70% of it's RAM....3GB

i disable touchwiz...i think,, still nothing,
somone else me please....don't want to buy another tablet, especially and Ipad, where i cant add Micro SD

You have to re-enable the app again and it will install an old version google play services (just make sure to disable automatic updates).

I purchased the 2GB/32GB version (aka Z580C), as the 4GB version (aka Z580CA) isn't yet available. As for the Z580C, I've provided a link to the specs, below:

https://www.asus.com/Tablets/ASUS_ZenPad_S_80_Z580C/specifications/

Essentially, the two models are the same, with the only difference being the RAM (2GB vs 4 GB), & the Z580CA having a slightly faster CPU. Considering the $199 price, you really can't go wrong with the Z580C. It doesn't matter if you're planning on using it as the P3's tablet, a tablet for other uses, or both...it's still considerably better, in almost every possible way, than the Nexus 7.

That doesn't mean I'll be getting rid of the N7, as it still has PLENTY of other uses. For a "worst-case scenario", I'd give the N7 to my girlfriend, as she's been interested in a tablet for reading, to which I'd get myself the Z580CA (once released) as a replacement for my N7...and I'd still use the Z580C for my P3P.

I'll be interested in your review, I started with the N7 and now the N7 II the form factor of the N7 II is what I like the most.
The Specs are non important to me as it's a surf tablet for me and the apps I use require little to nothing in the power department. (NO GAMES)
It's use with the P3P works fine for me.
Lasting a full day battery wise and the again the form factor is important to me.

We will miss M on the platform that kinda sux.

Okay Just wanted you to know your being watched. :)

I'm currently testing out the Acer Iconia Tab 8. I like the 16:9 aspect ratio and that it comes with GPS and HDMI out for goggles. Litchi app was streaming clean. I saw a little stutter/lag with DJI Pilot 1.2 so I've downgraded to 1.1 to see how that goes tomorrow.

$150 w/ bumper from Costco after $30 MIR

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NT.L4JAA.003

How is it going so far? I'm considering this tablet right now.

I'm currently testing out the Acer Iconia Tab 8. I like the 16:9 aspect ratio and that it comes with GPS and HDMI out for goggles. Litchi app was streaming clean. I saw a little stutter/lag with DJI Pilot 1.2 so I've downgraded to 1.1 to see how that goes tomorrow.

$150 w/ bumper from Costco after $30 MIR

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NT.L4JAA.003

Litchi with the PH3? I havent seen any updates from Litchi saying it works with the p3 yet...how are you doing that?

Litchi with the PH3? I havent seen any updates from Litchi saying it works with the p3 yet...how are you doing that?

join here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vision-plus-app-alpha-testers

I'm loving the GS, Follow Me and Orbit features that are mostly working. You need to have a GPS on your actual FPV device for Follow Me which is why it is a major criteria for me in searching for cheap tablet. As attractive as those dual os tablets are, many do not have gps. A barometer, such as the Galaxy Note 4/ Ipad Air 2 has, would be even more beneficial to the apps for determining your position.

You'll find on tablets that struggle with streaming the video, Litchi is more usable than DJI Pilot app... it must use less resources somehow.

Flew a few missions today with the Iconia Tab and still happy with it. Flew with Pilot v1.1 and streaming was good. On a side note, I had something strange happen upon landing. I couldn't shut the motors off using the usual left stick held down so I tried the other method of using both sticks pulled down and inward and it finally shut off. At some point between when it landed and when I could get the motors to kill, and I frankly can't remember, the P3 flipped upside-down so I had to run over to it with the propellers still spinning, grab hold and flip back. In the process I got knicked pretty good on my ribs and index finger.

Times like these I wish I had the iOS version of the app so I could see what inputs the copter was receiving from my sticks. I cannot explain why it wouldn't shut down.

join here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vision-plus-app-alpha-testers

I'm loving the GS, Follow Me and Orbit features that are mostly working. You need to have a GPS on your actual FPV device for Follow Me which is why it is a major criteria for me in searching for cheap tablet. As attractive as those dual os tablets are, many do not have gps. A barometer, such as the Galaxy Note 4/ Ipad Air 2 has, would be even more beneficial to the apps for determining your position.

You'll find on tablets that struggle with streaming the video, Litchi is more usable than DJI Pilot app... it must use less resources somehow.

Flew a few missions today with the Iconia Tab and still happy with it. Flew with Pilot v1.1 and streaming was good. On a side note, I had something strange happen upon landing. I couldn't shut the motors off using the usual left stick held down so I tried the other method of using both sticks pulled down and inward and it finally shut off. At some point between when it landed and when I could get the motors to kill, and I frankly can't remember, the P3 flipped upside-down so I had to run over to it with the propellers still spinning, grab hold and flip back. In the process I got knicked pretty good on my ribs and index finger.

Times like these I wish I had the iOS version of the app so I could see what inputs the copter was receiving from my sticks. I cannot explain why it wouldn't shut down.

Awesome..thanks for the feedback.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik