Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Tablet Hook

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tcope, Feb 9, 2015.

1. tcope

Picked up my Vision Plus a few weeks ago and have flown it on 3 occcations. Loved it from the first 10 seconds. Prior to this I have another UAV... let's just say it started with the letter "P" and has an "AR" in the name. That was like driving a 1970 VW bus and the Phantom is like a 2015 Cadillac. I fly kites (some single line kites I have are 240 - 525 sq feet) and want to get some video and photos of those flying. I also live in Utah so there are a _ton_ of cool places to get some good shots.

I have an older 7" Nook that is rooted and runs Android. I side loaded the Drone app but have yet to test it out. I made up a simple hook out of a thick coat hanger that seems to work pretty well. I'm posting photos and a video. The video shows me shaking the setup and it seems pretty safe (Youtube detected shaking in the video and offered to correct it :lol: ). If you try this, I recommend using thick wire and it needs to have a plastic coating so that it does not slip off the clamp.

Just puttting this out there as a DYI and food for thought.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtRDT_hASsg[/youtube]

2. crash1sttime

Simple yet brilliant 10 out of 10 for that. Just about to pick up a Samsung tablet and it may be to big for the clamp, your idea may work.

3. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking for the wire now ! A+ on that ;)

4. tcope

Keep in mind that it needs to be coated with some thicker rubber. Perhaps even rough it up a little. I'd also be careful bit you saw me shake it pretty good.

5. crash1sttime

Just been given a Samsung tablet, which was to big for the clamp, so i took inspiration and made this

Its a bit crude but it seems to hold fine, it was a 20 minute job with a wire coat hanger and some pliers, now i know it works im going to do a new one but make a few tweaks here and there.

Attached Files:

6. pb7424

I did something similar using a piece of Plexiglas that I bent into an "S" shape using a heat gun. Works really well. I added a piece of adhesive backed rubber to ensure a good grip on the phone clamp.

Attached Files:

7. gary1968

Great idea guys, been looking for something to make my galaxy tab fit......

8. tcope

I should have also mentioned that the hook needs to go down a few inches in the back. This gives a better angle for the clamp to grip.

9. crash1sttime

Good job with the perspex.

10. Questor

Excellent ingenuity.
    What a great forum.
    Thanks.
    Q~

11. tcope

NEW and IMPROVED!

Worked up some modifications. Made the hook a little longer to improve the angle of the phone holder. I also bent over both wires that the phone holder attaches to and pried them about 1/2" apart. This helps the phone holder hang on to the hook.

Attached Files: