Supposedly quiet blades ain't. Don't buy 'em

All the guys talk about reducing or gaining flight time .when was the last time anybody flew there bird to an exact amount of time, every time they fly to be able to make that determination as to whether the batteries last longer or don't last longer and under what conditions 5 mile an hour wind 10 mile an hour wind 20 mile-an-hour wind.
Have you ever flown in a 20 mile-an-hour wind and end up with only a flight time of 20 minutes? G what's up with that must be faulty batteries or something.
Like I said how many guys go out and fly to an exact amount of time and shut off the batteries exactly that time every time they fly?
I think it's even silly to discuss what can make the flight time shorter or longer .way way too many variables.
Exact science Testing is not real world operation.
With the new props you will have less battery time almost 20% less . does it make a difference . maybe it will when you take that flight you've done a hundred times and have always gotten back with plenty of juice left . But now you have the other props on and turns out your fighting a bit of a head wind , this time you don't make it back .Yes battery time/flight time matters

With the new props you will have less battery time almost 20% less . does it make a difference . maybe it will when you take that flight you've done a hundred times and have always gotten back with plenty of juice left . But now you have the other props on and turns out your fighting a bit of a head wind , this time you don't make it back .Yes battery time/flight time matters
20% less flight time I don't believe it

You don’t need to believe it- it may well be less than 20% in reality. There is almost certainly going to be a reduction in flight time with the new props in the earlier generation P4 though (providing the earlier P4 propulsion system was designed well). Changing a fixed prop to one with equivalent thrust at lower RPM requires changing to a lower KV motor and ensuring the ESC can deliver higher current to maintain efficiency. BLDC motor efficiency increases with RPM (within the designed Operating range) while ESC efficiency reduces with applied load. The higher pitches prop provides the motor will be running slower than the standard prop for a given thrust and will be drawing more current from the ESC. 10+ % I’m reduced flight time would not be a surprise.

What are you expecting? Equal or greater efficiency?

The V2 props make the bird a little less stable in the air during gusts in my opinion. The increased pitch and width of the props play a factor, I believe. These props do make the p4p "quieter" during take off and landings but I cannot tell much once at altitude.

Reactions: DKG13CC
You don’t need to believe it- it may well be less than 20% in reality. There is almost certainly going to be a reduction in flight time with the new props in the earlier generation P4 though (providing the earlier P4 propulsion system was designed well). Changing a fixed prop to one with equivalent thrust at lower RPM requires changing to a lower KV motor and ensuring the ESC can deliver higher current to maintain efficiency. BLDC motor efficiency increases with RPM (within the designed Operating range) while ESC efficiency reduces with applied load. The higher pitches prop provides the motor will be running slower than the standard prop for a given thrust and will be drawing more current from the ESC. 10+ % I’m reduced flight time would not be a surprise.

What are you expecting? Equal or greater efficiency?
For me efficiency isn't a factor.
I bought the props because they're quieter, I hear a difference and so do the people around me.
The thing is that people are nitpicking these props because they may reduce their flight time by 2 to 3 minutes.
What I'm saying is , if you've got your battery flight time and battery % calculated to the point where a reduction of 2 to 3 minutes in flight time per battery is going to be detrimental to your business or whatever you're doing , you probably should have bought a drone that will give you more flight time. And why would you have to calculate your battery time down to the point where you just make it back with maybe 5% battery power? To me that's way too much work with mathematical calculations just to make a series of flights.
I suppose there are people that factor in wind speed according to what direction they're flying so that they can make it back.
We all know you can't fly the amount of time the "factory " says you can get out of a battery otherwise you would be returning back at 0 percent.
Environmental variables change your flight time every time.
If you needed a drone that gave you 30 minutes of flight time every time you bought the wrong drone.
We don't drive our cars to the point of calculating how much gas is in the tank so that you make it back to the gas station just in time, that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
For me efficiency isn't a factor.
I bought the props because they're quieter, I hear a difference and so do the people around me.
The thing is that people are nitpicking these props because they may reduce their flight time by 2 to 3 minutes.
What I'm saying is , if you've got your battery flight time and battery % calculated to the point where a reduction of 2 to 3 minutes in flight time per battery is going to be detrimental to your business or whatever you're doing , you probably should have bought a drone that will give you more flight time. And why would you have to calculate your battery time down to the point where you just make it back with maybe 5% battery power? To me that's way too much work with mathematical calculations just to make a series of flights.
I suppose there are people that factor in wind speed according to what direction they're flying so that they can make it back.
We all know you can't fly the amount of time the "factory " says you can get out of a battery otherwise you would be returning back at 0 percent.
Environmental variables change your flight time every time.
If you needed a drone that gave you 30 minutes of flight time every time you bought the wrong drone.
We don't drive our cars to the point of calculating how much gas is in the tank so that you make it back to the gas station just in time, that's ridiculous.
They suit your purpose and work as advertised, less objectionable noise in ooeration. You seemed to be sceptical of others observations of less efficiency in the older P4, it is likely this is a reality for well understood reasons. The further claims of the AC seemingly less capable of responding quickly to changes in wind velocity etc are also likely true, simply because rate of change of motor RPM will be reduced due to the additional torque required. Personally I wouldn’t use them on the older P4. I would be concerned most with the additional current demands from the ESC, higher than that factored into the original propulsion system design with the original props.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between standard and new prop type flying the same course in healthy drones, particularly the current draw during the flight.

Has DJI put anything out saying you "shouldn't " use the new quieter props on a p4p original. ??
If they haven't put out any disclaimers or Warnings and you use these props on the p4p 1.0, then DJI is responsible.
What are there claims?

Has DJI put anything out saying you "shouldn't " use the new quieter props on a p4p original. ??
If they haven't put out any disclaimers or Warnings and you use these props on the p4p 1.0, then DJI is responsible.
What are there claims?
All I have seen (from DJI) is that they are compatible with P4 advanced, pro and pro V2 so fair chance your argument is sound re any expectation of warranty coverage using the new props. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t use them, I’m saying I wouldn’t. Same as I wouldn’t put a higher pitch prop on a boat than that specified as original fitment for the motor and hull. Lower engine speed and noise for less efficiency and reduced acceleration would be unacceptable compromises for me.

All I have seen (from DJI) is that they are compatible with P4 advanced, pro and pro V2 so fair chance your argument is sound re any expectation of warranty coverage using the new props. I’m not suggesting you shouldn’t use them, I’m saying I wouldn’t. Same as I wouldn’t put a higher pitch prop on a boat than that specified as original fitment for the motor and hull. Lower engine speed and noise for less efficiency and reduced acceleration would be unacceptable compromises for me.
I just send a message to DJI questioning whether these props will cause any undue stress on the original p4p motors and whether their new ESC Motors were designed to handle the new props size and Design or were the motors just built for lower noise.
I hope I get an answer I'll let everybody know if I do.
If anybody has already posed these questions to DJI please let us know what you found out.

I just got an automatic email back saying they received my questions. I suppose at this point I'll just wait for the reply hopefully tomorrow.;)
We will see.o_O

I just send a message to DJI questioning whether these props will cause any undue stress on the original p4p motors and whether their new ESC Motors were designed to handle the new props size and Design or were the motors just built for lower noise.
I hope I get an answer I'll let everybody know if I do.
If anybody has already posed these questions to DJI please let us know what you found out.
Fantastic! I’m definitely interested in what the response might be. If they did things properly it will be a lower KV motor and higher current mosfets in the inverter section of the ESC.

went from 22/23 mins to 18 . do your own tests i know i did mine . that plus the fact that the performance was less and the noise was barely noticeable . i have a set of props that will sit idle and wasted $20. bucks plus shipping

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
with outsiders /observers if they do not know anything about low noise props and you change props between flights most will not notice a change in noise . as i'v done this with out informing people of the props switch or anything about noise . when asked if it sounded different none noticed anything . once someone is informed then the pay closer attention and seem to notice a slight change in pitch . it's 95% mental and 5% slight pitch change

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I have the new props on both the mavic and P4. I think they are just fine and will continue to use them. They do just what they are intended to do.
A friend has the new V2 and I have then P4P+... side by side there is a very noticeable difference in sound level, the V2 is quieter! I did a flight test with my props on my P4P+ then switched to the new style.... exactly the same speed achieved... found no verifiable performance difference.... Not sure what all the negativity is about...

A friend has the new V2 and I have then P4P+... side by side there is a very noticeable difference in sound level, the V2 is quieter! I did a flight test with my props on my P4P+ then switched to the new style.... exactly the same speed achieved... found no verifiable performance difference.... Not sure what all the negativity is about...
did you compare his v2 against your p4p with the stock props ? the negativity is mostly about all the false reports commenting on how great they are when in fact not so much on the new blade . we can and should expect honest reports not the false reports just so some can sale the blades on their small internet companies

Hey guys, I got a response from DJI about the new props. Here's what they said......
Also I sent them a few more questions that they really didn't answer I will post those when I get an answer.

In regards with your Question 1: "Can the new low noise props be used on the original p4p?"
Answer: Yes. Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and Phantom 4 Pro propellers are cross-compatible. However, Phantom 4 Pro propellers (9450S) are less aerodynamic and louder than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 propellers (9455S propellers).

Question 2, "Do they cause any undue stress on the original p4p Motors?", "Are the new low noise props designed only for V 2.0 Because of the new Motors", and "Are the new Motors designed to lower noise or to just handle the new props?"
Answer: New FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs not only reduce electromagnetic noise, but also improve the overall efficiency of the ESCs. Also, new 9455S quick-release propellers make the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 more aerodynamic and reduce noise. It has the same maximum flight time and maximum speed as the Phantom 4 Pro

Hey guys, I got a response from DJI about the new props. Here's what they said......
Also I sent them a few more questions that they really didn't answer I will post those when I get an answer.

In regards with your Question 1: "Can the new low noise props be used on the original p4p?"
Answer: Yes. Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and Phantom 4 Pro propellers are cross-compatible. However, Phantom 4 Pro propellers (9450S) are less aerodynamic and louder than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 propellers (9455S propellers).

Question 2, "Do they cause any undue stress on the original p4p Motors?", "Are the new low noise props designed only for V 2.0 Because of the new Motors", and "Are the new Motors designed to lower noise or to just handle the new props?"
Answer: New FOC sinusoidal driver ESCs not only reduce electromagnetic noise, but also improve the overall efficiency of the ESCs. Also, new 9455S quick-release propellers make the Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 more aerodynamic and reduce noise. It has the same maximum flight time and maximum speed as the Phantom 4 Pro
Question 2 they didn’t answer re P4P pro original at all, simply read the marketing department script for the v2. Question 1 response is a joke, more aerodynamic? Seriously? What does that tell us?

Useless response as expected.

Reactions: lmmavrick

I would have to agree with "with the birds " i know for fact flight time is not the same . a p4 with stock props out performs and out flys and outlasts one with the other props . DJI's answers are mostly BS .

Just keep it S i m p l e....... save your money and fly with the "stock props" and BE Happy !... i have no problems with the noise off the props Or any body else either don't most of you fly way way way out on missions (Litchi) anyways !

They just sent me an answer to my question about the new props causing undue stress on the 1.0 and they gave me the same answer as the first one , out of some booklet.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West