Sunsets the importance of shooting RAW & Histogram

Reaction score
Three tips for shooting great sunsets
1) Always shoot in the RAW format. There is a ton more information with this format than JPG
2) I always have my histogram displayed when shooting. Watch for any clipping with the highlights. Clipped highlights is information that has not been captured.
3) Use a program like Photoshop to process RAW files. This will allow you to dodge and burn or bring out information that you may not realize is there.

IYC%20DJI_0378.jpg

El_Galeon.jpg

aerialTernBayRedfishKey.jpg

Three tips for shooting great sunsets
1) Always shoot in the RAW format. There is a ton more information with this format than JPG
2) I always have my histogram displayed when shooting. Watch for any clipping with the highlights. Clipped highlights is information that has not been captured.
3) Use a program like Photoshop to process RAW files. This will allow you to dodge and burn or bring out information that you may not realize is there.

IYC%20DJI_0378.jpg

El_Galeon.jpg

aerialTernBayRedfishKey.jpg
Amazing pictures. What do you think of photo scape? Thanks.

Amazing pictures. What do you think of photo scape? Thanks.
I use PhotoShop exclusively and do not know about the other software. I am a pro photographer and nothing seems to be better but there is a learning curve.

Do you have any more insight into using dodge and burn? That was a photoshop feature I never really grasped the purpose of.
The best way to dodge and burn is through the adjustment layers and masking feature. From the adjustment layers if you want to burn add the level adjustment. Increase the exposure by moving the small triangle of highlights to the left. This can be an extreme adjustment due to the next step. In the layers panel you will see a mask to the right of the adjustment just made. Invert this mask from black to white. You will notice your image will return to normal. Make sure that mask is selected and by using the paintbrush and the color white paint on the area you want to lighten. Hint set your brush opacity to 5% and slowly build the amount of adjustment needed. This may be a bit hard to understand, if so google how to add an adjustment layer and the mask that comes with it. There is no better way of controlling information this way. Did I mention this is a nondestructive edit.

Reactions: STGill

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor