Suffolk County law proposal - prohibition on use of unmanned craft

This is so much BS. I hope this gets struck down soon. He says he got one as a fathers day present and loves flying it. Yeah sure, classic politician mumbo jumbo. Again bunch of BS!

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

This thread is a bit dated but rather starting a new one I thought I'd post to this one since the folks contributing here may be able to help. My county park authority (Fairfax County, VA) has limited any remote control aircraft and UAS operations to two county "airparks" that are run by a local chapter of AMA. While certainly usable they can get very crowded and with a "only four airborne at a time" rule you can wait for some time to get to fly. I've drafted a letter to our county park authorities laying out my rationale for letting UAS operate at other county parks (not over as I know that is legal, but landing/taking off in a park) using the saying that it is better to encourage safe and legal operations rather than what we all know will happen anyway as folks will operate regardless of "the rules." I've used the Know Before You Fly website as part of the basis for some operating guidelines.
Can any of you provide me links to any local ordinances/regulations you are aware of in your areas where UAS are more widely allowed so I can reference those? Thanks in advance!

This thread is a bit dated but rather starting a new one I thought I'd post to this one since the folks contributing here may be able to help. My county park authority (Fairfax County, VA) has limited any remote control aircraft and UAS operations to two county "airparks" that are run by a local chapter of AMA. While certainly usable they can get very crowded and with a "only four airborne at a time" rule you can wait for some time to get to fly. I've drafted a letter to our county park authorities laying out my rationale for letting UAS operate at other county parks (not over as I know that is legal, but landing/taking off in a park) using the saying that it is better to encourage safe and legal operations rather than what we all know will happen anyway as folks will operate regardless of "the rules." I've used the Know Before You Fly website as part of the basis for some operating guidelines.
Can any of you provide me links to any local ordinances/regulations you are aware of in your areas where UAS are more widely allowed so I can reference those? Thanks in advance!

I know many people here are well versed in these matters. I'd really like to know if your county park authority really has any legal say whether or not people can fly there or not. I'm sure this issue will become much more prevalent in the future in many more places. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I know many people here are well versed in these matters. I'd really like to know if your county park authority really has any legal say whether or not people can fly there or not. I'm sure this issue will become much more prevalent in the future in many more places. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
I wouldn't want to be the one to challenge the legality! Fly the path of least resistance. Find another place to fly that is not scrutinized, and stay out of sight. Fly early. Fly late. Less people around. Less attention. More flying time.:cool:

They can make rules about how to use their land (cannot fly from, take off from, land on, etc.) but cannot say what can be done in the air (cannot fly over, fly near, etc.). They make these rules in the name of safety and to protect the use of the park for everyone (most likely a noise thing).

They can make rules about how to use their land (cannot fly from, take off from, land on, etc.) but cannot say what can be done in the air (cannot fly over, fly near, etc.). They make these rules in the name of safety and to protect the use of the park for everyone (most likely a noise thing).

I understand that point of view, and it makes perfect sense. I wouldn't expect to be allowed to drive my car through the park where people might be playing basketball. But at the same time, what if I wanted to fly a kite in that same park? Can they say no kite flying? Where is the line drawn in this case where there is relatively very little safety risk? Just sort of playing devil's advocate here, as I really do see these types of questions becoming quite common unfortunately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing