Stress cracks with unit out of warranty - what are my options?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After 59 flights, I've noticed the beginnings of a crack propagating from the rear right motor mount. This is incredibly disheartening considering the care I take of my unit, but this seems to be a very common problem.

My unit was activated in January of 2016, so it is well out of warranty. Does anyone here have experience with having their unit repaired by DJI after warranty expiration? Was the service satisfactory, and what were the charges?

The crack is very small, and I don't think I can even get an epoxy in between it. My apologies for the slightly blurry photos; my camera kept moving in and out of focus.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

34e89958cd1d9790fd0b0678dcab37a1.jpg

0ab0a0bc2991828e9bfc37aa3b1b0011.jpg

Thank you!

Hi guys,

After 59 flights, I've noticed the beginnings of a crack propagating from the rear right motor mount. This is incredibly disheartening considering the care I take of my unit, but this seems to be a very common problem.

My unit was activated in January of 2016, so it is well out of warranty. Does anyone here have experience with having their unit repaired by DJI after warranty expiration? Was the service satisfactory, and what were the charges?

The crack is very small, and I don't think I can even get an epoxy in between it. My apologies for the slightly blurry photos; my camera kept moving in and out of focus.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hmmm, annoying! What I'd do is just back off the offending over-torqued screw a tiny amount - and I mean tiny - to release the pressure in the shell. Once you do that, you shouldn't get any further progression of the crack.
Also, why have still got the stickers on top of the motor casings? There're supposed to be removed and binned before you power-up the motors the first time?

I own 3 P3S' and I have one with a minuscule crack at one motor mount screw location that I intend to repair with crazy glue and baking soda. Another one of my units have many cracks at the mounts and on this unit I intend to repair it myself using plast-aid and then adding reinforcing plates. This particular unit was flown hard and did have a few minor crashes. My third unit has prop guard mounts and show no signs of cracking. The first two units were purchased second hand and this have been the only issues I've had with my P3S'. If the plast-aid doesn't work I'll replace the shell.

Also, why have still got the stickers on top of the motor casings? There're supposed to be removed and binned before you power-up the motors the first time?

I place them back over the motors when I store it so I know which props go where - even though the screws are colour-coded. Yeah, I'm OCD.

I'll definitely back of the screw a bit, and perhaps try throwing a bit of the plast-aid over top of it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I own 3 P3S' and I have one with a minuscule crack at one motor mount screw location that I intend to repair with crazy glue and baking soda. Another one of my units have many cracks at the mounts and on this unit I intend to repair it myself using plast-aid and then adding reinforcing plates. This particular unit was flown hard and did have a few minor crashes. My third unit has prop guard mounts and show no signs of cracking. The first two units were purchased second hand and this have been the only issues I've had with my P3S'. If the plast-aid doesn't work I'll replace the shell.
I am thinking of fitting reinforcing plates. How easy is it? I'm a bit scared of removing the screws holding the motors, in order to replace them with longer ones to accommodate the plates. Any tips gratefully received!

I am thinking of fitting reinforcing plates. How easy is it? I'm a bit scared of removing the screws holding the motors, in order to replace them with longer ones to accommodate the plates. Any tips gratefully received!
It's not difficult. When you remove the screws the motors will be unsupported so you might want to secure the motors with masking tape. Don't over-tighten when re-installing.

It's not difficult. When you remove the screws the motors will be unsupported so you might want to secure the motors with masking tape. Don't over-tighten when re-installing.
Thanks. Masking tape is a good idea - so obvious but I hadn't thought of it!

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
The pictures did not come out on my end, however, to stop a stress crack drill a very small hole at the end of the crack. The hole will stop the stress crack from continuing to crack. Its the fix on larger aircraft humans fly within. It's very common and a common fix for any stress crack.

The pictures did not come out on my end, however, to stop a stress crack drill a very small hole at the end of the crack. The hole will stop the stress crack from continuing to crack. Its the fix on larger aircraft humans fly within. It's very common and a common fix for any stress crack.
Thanks. I've fitted reinforcing plates on the motor arms as well. The thing looks a lot better. Fingers crossed & thumbs up! I'm amazed they do that on aircraft carring people. Though, having flown a lot in a Tupelev, maybe not.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan