Step 1 of being a UAS pilot.

Reaction score
DON'T BE A *******!

Yes, that means don't fly over or near people.
Yes, that means don't fly near other aircraft.
Yes, that means don't fly where it is prohibited.
Yes, that means ask for permission to fly on someones property.
Yes, that means ask for permission to film a location.

Will doing these things potentially keep you from getting that footage that you just HAVE to share with your 6 YouTube subscribers? Possibly.
Will it make your quick trip to film something take longer, quite possibly.
Will that mean you might need to do some research on a location to see if flying is allowed there, yes. Not knowing that it's prohibited is not an excuse, find out before hand.

Will it help keep you from tarnishing the public perception of UAS devices and their owners even more, YES.
Will it help keep you from injuring someone accidentally, possibly.

You would be amazed at the difference an encounter can be if you talk to the property/location owner prior to flying it. Let them know your intentions, and what you plan on filming, where you plan to fly it. Tell them about your aircraft and invite them to come watch while you fly.

I agree with most of what you're saying. However, asking for permission is something I only do if I want to fly on private property. If it's available to the public, safe to fly, and not near any airports, I fly without asking for permission. That's a bit excessive to have to do if you ask me.

As for flying over people, sometimes it's unavoidable. I decided one day to fly from a viewpoint here in Seattle that's fairly popular. There was hardly anyone there when I arrived and launched my P3. Within a few minutes into the flight, a lot of people arrived to checkout the view. They saw what I was flying and didn't pay much attention to it after a few minutes. Then when I started to make an approach to land, they didn't hesitate to proceed to walk underneath my flight path. So my point is that sometimes it's out of your control. I played it safe and aborted my approach until they passed.

Reactions: kirk2579
The worst is when they camp out right on top of the only landing spot in the area and your battery is less than 25% remaining. I've had to ask quite a few people to step back.

One thing I do when I'm on a commercial gig is I go to everyone in the area and give them my card and explain a drone will be overhead for a few minutes filming the property.

Not only does it prevent unnecessary "a drone is stalking me" conversations I've found its great PR; you never know who in the audience might be your next potential customer.

Here in the US property owners do not own the air space above their property so permission isn't necessary or needed.

Rule 2

Respect the opinions and posts of others. You expect people to appreciate your point of view by calling other people jerks?

Ok, i can see that my tongue in cheek post didn't come through as intended. Sorry for that.

My point is not that you must get permission, and I realize the legality side of this, but the consideration of peoples property goes a long way to the public's perception of our hobby (job for some) and their acceptance.

DON'T BE A *******!

Yes, that means don't fly over or near people.
Yes, that means don't fly near other aircraft.
Yes, that means don't fly where it is prohibited.
Yes, that means ask for permission to fly on someones property.
Yes, that means ask for permission to film a location.

Will doing these things potentially keep you from getting that footage that you just HAVE to share with your 6 YouTube subscribers? Possibly.
Will it make your quick trip to film something take longer, quite possibly.
Will that mean you might need to do some research on a location to see if flying is allowed there, yes. Not knowing that it's prohibited is not an excuse, find out before hand.

Will it help keep you from tarnishing the public perception of UAS devices and their owners even more, YES.
Will it help keep you from injuring someone accidentally, possibly.

You would be amazed at the difference an encounter can be if you talk to the property/location owner prior to flying it. Let them know your intentions, and what you plan on filming, where you plan to fly it. Tell them about your aircraft and invite them to come watch while you fly.
Forgot to add; read the freaking manual and follow instructions exactly as given or before long you'll be posting:" my phantom flew away..."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl