Standard vs advanced

To be honest I'll just use it as an hobby but I want to buy something that I won't regret!

That was what I said when I bought the Professional, I don't regret it a bit. I don't always film in 4K but when I do...

4k.jpg
lol

I would go with the Advanced If I were you.

WiFi uses tcpip protocol, it requires two way communications with check sums and acknowledgement handshaking. This slows things down and increases risk of disconnects, which degrades communication distance. WiFi was not designed to be a low latency video transmission method. Lightbridge was. It's a digital broadcast technology with no handshaking. I'll never buy another drone that uses WiFi, that is sooo 2014.
GO TO THE LIGHT.... Bridge, the P3A is the ticket. You won't regret it. However you will want to buy the 100W charger that comes with the P3P for $60, it's worth it. You can use the 57W charger for the TX.

Last edited:
So I actually just sold my P3S and bought a P3A...partly after reading this post. Got the firmware all up to date and back to flying. Lightbridge and the controller are great upgrades. The vps is cool too but dont plan to fly indoors much. Gotta say I do miss a few things. The new one is noticeably heavier and of course subject to shorter flight times. The camera also doesn't seem to be quite as nice. I even asked a DJI service rep which cam was better and he said P3S still takes better stills. Is that true? It's hard for me to believe the camera on the Advanced model intended for "serious photographers" is not as nice as the basic intro model...

I even asked a DJI service rep which cam was better and he said P3S still takes better stills. Is that true?
Nope. All Phantom 3 models take the same quality of stills. There is a difference in the video though.

Good to know. Video wise, now that the advanced can do 2.7k, I assume that is on par with the standard, but it has a leg up with 1080p@60fps, right? Also I think I read somewhere the Advanced has a Sony camera and the other has something else. Would you say either takes better quality video or pictures?

You can compare the specs for all Phantom 3 models here. The sensors are different, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference when the photos/video is compared.

Camera quality & performance is about the same. The big question is how much range do you want? Lightbridge offers 5x the range of the Wi-Fi FPV offered on the Standard. You also get a much nicer controller. Personally I'd spring for the $799 vs $499 if your budget allows it.

Hi guys I'm deciding to buy a phantom and can't decide between the standard or advanced. Basically the only thing that I'm comparing is the video transmission when your flying and if it really worths to spend extra 250 for the light bridge. Thank you guys

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl