SRP has been listening to their aerial shooters. Graduated ND16-8

Good question. Obviously the CP is at it's strongest when you're shooting at the 90º position from the sun. When more or less facing directly at or away from the sun you just get the benefit of the ND16. BUT... you do get about a half stop more light reduction at all angles because of the CP. So I've found the ND16/CP is perfect for full on sun when you're trying to keep you shutter speed at a manageable 50-100. Because this is a CP just like any other CP I plan my shots by positioning the Phantom in the right spot... then roll with the shot I'm after.

Thanks for the clarification, that is helpful. Hopefully someday I too will be able to plan shots. :)

Reactions: SENC
Hey fhagan02. What grading application are you using? I'm a profession colorist and have been using DaVinci resolve for the past 6 years. Nice work. If you like coloring then I would love to chat. Always love to see people grade and see what they come up with.

@spskaya I've been using Premiere Pro exclusively for about 4 years now. I had planned to graduate to a "better" application for color and grading but to be honest...PP allows me to do about 98% if the work I need. That goes for personal and professional client stuff. I'd love to share, chat and learn from folks like yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, that is helpful. Hopefully someday I too will be able to plan shots. :)

Luckily it's easier than I thought. Since the "CP effect" is so powerful you can usually see it in the monitor when you're yawing around and point at the "sweet spot." The blue in the sky goes much deeper and the clouds pop more. That's when I know I'm in the zone and hit record.

Just received my SRP GND and hope to test it out soon. A few questions @fhagan02 if you don't mind - I appreciate the amount of experience you've had with their filters.

- The instructions didn't specifically say but I assume the top (ND16) is the part with the SRP logo. It looks very subtle when holding it up to the light, and I imagine I'd figure it out with tests but just wanted to check since you would already know.

- I'm not trying to open up any liability issues here, but in your personal experience, have you been counterbalancing the filter? I understand all the disclaimers and everything, I'm just trying to get a sense of what most people are doing.

Thanks. Excited to try this thang out.

@spskaya I've been using Premiere Pro exclusively for about 4 years now. I had planned to graduate to a "better" application for color and grading but to be honest...PP allows me to do about 98% if the work I need. That goes for personal and professional client stuff. I'd love to share, chat and learn from folks like yourself.
Cool. I have been grading for film and television and have been fortunate to work with some of the best in the business. Anytime you want to chat or if you have any questions let me know.

Just received my SRP GND and hope to test it out soon. A few questions @fhagan02 if you don't mind - I appreciate the amount of experience you've had with their filters.

- The instructions didn't specifically say but I assume the top (ND16) is the part with the SRP logo. It looks very subtle when holding it up to the light, and I imagine I'd figure it out with tests but just wanted to check since you would already know.

- I'm not trying to open up any liability issues here, but in your personal experience, have you been counterbalancing the filter? I understand all the disclaimers and everything, I'm just trying to get a sense of what most people are doing.

Thanks. Excited to try this thang out.
Yeah... just hold it up to your eye and move it up, down, left and right. You'll see where the top or darker ND16 area is.

I use NO counter balance. It's just 7grams. Flying at 20mph WITH natural wind creates MUCH MORE resistance on the gimbal than the filter will ever come close to. I've flown probably 140-150 flights with SRP filters and my gimbal still performs as if it were brand new.

I must be blind but I cannot see much difference on the one I got from them. Mine also states that it is ND16-9 and not 8 and that maybe subtle but it is 1/3 of a stop difference. So that would be less that a stop difference between the darkest and lightest, which is not a lot of graduation. Going to try it out this weekend.

Alan

I must be blind but I cannot see much difference on the one I got from them. Mine also states that it is ND16-9 and not 8 and that maybe subtle but it is 1/3 of a stop difference. So that would be less that a stop difference between the darkest and lightest, which is not a lot of graduation. Going to try it out this weekend.

Alan
Check your filter again. SRP doesn't make a GND16-9.

Are you supposed to take off the existing filter on the camera to put this ND16-8 on? Because I'm getting terrible vignette, and I've got it seated all the way back. The gradation doesn't do much as it is.

Are you supposed to take off the existing filter on the camera to put this ND16-8 on? Because I'm getting terrible vignette, and I've got it seated all the way back. The gradation doesn't do much as it is.

It took me a couple tries to get the filter all the way seated. (BTW: You do not remove the stock UV. SRP filters will not mount with the UV removed.) The back of the filter should be lined up with the back seam of the stock UV. I've not experienced vignetting with video. Photo's show signs in the extreme corners but that's to be expected as shooting in 4:3 utilizes the entire sensor.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl