SRP has been listening to their aerial shooters. Graduated ND16-8

Is there anywhere I can find one of these filters? Their website doesn't sell them or I can't find info on them at least. I'm looking for the graduated, not the regular ND filter they sell on the site and elsewhere. I'd rather buy from Amazon or another place. Their website charges way too much in shipping.

Hey DaveM. Expected availability on the new SRP GND filter is July 14. It's worth the wait. The more I use this filter the more I've started to consider it as my go-to filter for aerials.

Hey DaveM. Expected availability on the new SRP GND filter is July 14. It's worth the wait. The more I use this filter the more I've started to consider it as my go-to filter for aerials.

Sounds good. Will it be at Amazon also, or just their website? Their shipping stinks, frankly. :)

Not sure about amazon. I've purchased SRP filters form B&H photo.
Sounds good. Will it be at Amazon also, or just their website? Their shipping stinks, frankly. :)

Not sure about amazon. I've purchased SRP filters form B&H photo though. I know it doesn't help the shipping cost issue, but I felt the same way when I got my first GoPro BlurFix from them. But then I kept going back and ordering another one because of the footage it was allowing me to shoot. So....not the answer you want I know...but after the 5th filter I just looked at it as the price of something that was flat-out fantastic, I knew it would work and I knew it would last. And for what it's worth.... I had an "issue" once with a filter and their customer service was outstanding. So I factor that in too.

Sorry to sound like such an SRP fan boy..... but I am brand loyal. These guys have given me top notch service and product overtime every time. So... crap.... I guess I am kind of a fan boy.

Not sure about amazon. I've purchased SRP filters form B&H photo.

Not sure about amazon. I've purchased SRP filters form B&H photo though. I know it doesn't help the shipping cost issue, but I felt the same way when I got my first GoPro BlurFix from them. But then I kept going back and ordering another one because of the footage it was allowing me to shoot. So....not the answer you want I know...but after the 5th filter I just looked at it as the price of something that was flat-out fantastic, I knew it would work and I knew it would last. And for what it's worth.... I had an "issue" once with a filter and their customer service was outstanding. So I factor that in too.

Sorry to sound like such an SRP fan boy..... but I am brand loyal. These guys have given me top notch service and product overtime every time. So... crap.... I guess I am kind of a fan boy.

Some companies earn their fanship (fanhood?) whatever. Some companies are worth it.

Reactions: fhagan02
Ask away man.... If i didn't have folks like you to learn stuff from I'd be in a world of hurt!:)

All advise below pertains to individuals that plan and like to do Post color work:
As you've notice the example vids I do are color corrected and graded...always. I don't believe in a "magic filter" that makes everything "look super"...with zero effort. Though I plan to grade and color my shots the SRP ND and CP filters are critical in making sure I get the right shot in-camera.
I shoot everything with these settings:
LOG Profile
-2 Sharpen
-3 Contrast
-2 Saturation
Manual WB setting

I want my shots as "flat" in tonal range as possible. The reason is you have MUCH MORE wiggle room to push and pull in post. e.g. Flat gives you control of the footage or picture. If you shoot on a very contrasty saturated setting you can damage the shot. Highlights are blown out to pure white, Shadow crushed to pure black. After this has happened it's in the footage forever. Nothing you can do in post to bring up crushed blacks or whites. The information is lost. Shooting flat helps you retain more "Dynamic Range". Meaning even in dark shadows there is still tonal detail instead of solid black. Same for say... Clouds. Lots of subtle detail in the whites to work with instead of blown out pure white.

Best way is to do some quick 10 second tests. Shoot a bunch of shots with different settings and compare. What I like may not be what you like and that's cool. You'll figure out what works for you personally. That's whats so great about this as it's very subjective and to each his own. BTW: Final Cut has all the tools you need to start grading and coloring your footage via my settings above.
Hi fhagan02,
How do you edit the log profile to these settings, I haven't been able to find it. Thanks. Also, I just got the 8ND, does it make a huge difference with the GND or is it ok for a general use (it's already 3 stops compensating)
Thanks.

Hi fhagan02,
How do you edit the log profile to these settings, I haven't been able to find it. Thanks. Also, I just got the 8ND, does it make a huge difference with the GND or is it ok for a general use (it's already 3 stops compensating)
Thanks.

To tweak any of color profiles go under settings you'll find a "custom" button. Click that and It'll give you the menu for tweaking Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation.

The ND8 is a great "all around" ND filter. (That one is the first one I bought. ;))

To tweak any of color profiles go under settings you'll find a "custom" button. Click that and It'll give you the menu for tweaking Sharpness, Contrast and Saturation.

The ND8 is a great "all around" ND filter. (That one is the first one I bought. ;))
Sorry I must be blind I get the color mode, selecting log, but don't see any, setting or custom button there... :(

Sorry I must be blind I get the color mode, selecting log, but don't see any, setting or custom button there... :(

Not in front of the Pilot App at the moment but it's after you click the camera icon. Somewhere in that little pop up menu is the custom settings. Poke around...you'll find it.

Not in front of the Pilot App at the moment but it's after you click the camera icon. Somewhere in that little pop up menu is the custom settings. Poke around...you'll find it.
Oh yes! Found it. Thanks!

@fhagan02 give us the secret preorder link for the graduated ND. Come on, don't you have an affiliate URL? ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the tests you've uploaded. Very helpful to see those examples.

@fhagan02 give us the secret preorder link for the graduated ND. Come on, don't you have an affiliate URL? ;)

Anyway, thanks for all the tests you've uploaded. Very helpful to see those examples.

Thanks for the comment and you're most welcome. I really enjoy sharing my results and finds to the community.

To be sure....I'm in no way "affiliated" with any after market company...nor will I be. For SRP.... I'm a long time customer who was asked to do beta testing before release as a part of their quality control. ;)

Since all beta testers including myself have given their thumbs up.... SRP is shooting for July 14th to release the GND16-8.

Reactions: ctp
FYI: The GND WAS RELEASED TODAY
Can't wait for it to show up on other sites. I'd buy it direct from SRP but it looks like they are PayPal only...

EDIT: Never mind... they do have credit card options. I just didn't go far enough into the checkout process...

@fhagan02,

I ordered an GND today too. SRP should give you a finder's fee/commission. :cool:

No way @unclejas. I enjoy sharing little gem finds like SRP filters with others. You're gonna love this filter. It's become my go-to on moderately bright, regular shooting days. (I use the ND16CP for full on sunny day shooting.)

No way @unclejas. I enjoy sharing little gem finds like SRP filters with others. You're gonna love this filter. It's become my go-to on moderately bright, regular shooting days. (I use the ND16CP for full on sunny day shooting.)

How well does the CP work with the changing angles? I always felt the idea behind CP was adjusting as you moved, but clearly that cannot be done while it is on the phantom.

How well does the CP work with the changing angles? I always felt the idea behind CP was adjusting as you moved, but clearly that cannot be done while it is on the phantom.
Good question. Obviously the CP is at it's strongest when you're shooting at the 90º position from the sun. When more or less facing directly at or away from the sun you just get the benefit of the ND16. BUT... you do get about a half stop more light reduction at all angles because of the CP. So I've found the ND16/CP is perfect for full on sun when you're trying to keep you shutter speed at a manageable 50-100. Because this is a CP just like any other CP I plan my shots by positioning the Phantom in the right spot... then roll with the shot I'm after.

Reactions: SteelGator
Hey fhagan02. What grading application are you using? I'm a profession colorist and have been using DaVinci resolve for the past 6 years. Nice work. If you like coloring then I would love to chat. Always love to see people grade and see what they come up with.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic