Something must be wrong...

Reaction score
I'm using the IRC 600w vtx, black pearl (7ch version). I went with the Bluebeam Ultra's, have the 3 turn on the vtx, and the 5 turn on the black pearl. The other rx on the black pearl just has the stock rubber ducky that came with the VTX.

Went out to the country today, got 600m out of it. But it was a ROUGH 600. Got rough around the 350 mark. But here's the thing, my diversity rx used the rubber ducky 85% of the time. It barely ever switched to the Bluebeam.

Any ideas? I would have expected better performance from these expensive antennas. Maybe not more range, but a lot better reception!

Vtx mounted on bottom of p2 shell, ant coming out rear compass side (this is a phantom 1.5 btw)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408636908.623971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408636908.623971.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 559
I know you said it's the 7-channel BP but double-check to make sure the connector types are matching on it and the bluebeam you have on it. The symptoms you describe are what you would normally get if the connector types didn't match. There's almost no reason a pinwheel should have worse reception than the stock antenna.

OI Photography said:
I know you said it's the 7-channel BP but double-check to make sure the connector types are matching on it and the bluebeam you have on it. The symptoms you describe are what you would normally get if the connector types didn't match. There's almost no reason a pinwheel should have worse reception than the stock antenna.

They are both SMA.

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1408642505279.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1408642582817.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408642505279.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408642505279.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 481
  • uploadfromtaptalk1408642582817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408642582817.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 451
OI Photography said:
Gotcha, just checking. Does the BP still favor the stock antenna if you swap the ports each is attached to?

Good question, I'll give that a shot and report back!

Thank you!

Ok, flew this evening, and put the bluebeam on the left port this time. Made a noticable difference. It seemed to use the bluebeam most of the time.

Does this mean something is wrong with that other antenna port?

The diversity system looks at the strongest signal, which might not be the cleanest!

The rubber duck antennae have about the same gain as a pin wheel, but do worse in terms of ghosting and fade in turns, so it is quite possible that IF the receivers had the same gain, the monitor could favour this antenna.

However, as you have found, the receivers sometimes have very different sensitivities and this makes them favour one input over the other. Mine flicks over all the time, but I have flown with others where if never moves off the right hand input. Might be worth getting it changed?

Ok, so I flew again today, and made it out to 1500m with good picture. Decided to turn back. I wish I had thought to switch the antenna locations again to double check. I have a feeling that right side reciever is crapped out. Is there a gain on the black pearl that can be adjusted or should I work on just sending it back under warranty?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl