My GUESS is that (I have taken tests from these centralized testing companies) the FAA created a pool of questions and each test is a random set of questions for each test from that pool - assuming the FAA had the initiative to do so - this is just my opinion and guess -

That is correct.

my plan is to take the example test questions the FAA has provided and look up the references they sight

Their small sample group of questions is really just to give you an idea of what the test will be like. And remember. They don't tell you which answer is correct.

- I really don't want to learn about high pressure zones, which way a run way is laid out and so on, just to fly a P3A in my real estate inspection business -

No disrespect meant, but if you don't learn these types of things you won't pass the test.

The reason the FAA covers all this material is this: Perhaps you will never fly your quadcopter above treetop level. In that case, airspaces and traffic pattern proximity don't matter. But the problem is that you CAN fly above treetop level and the FAA is certificating you to do so. Therefore, knowledge of these other topics that you eschew really is necessary.

From what I can see Sarah Nilsson's UAG Test Prep (also free self-study) pulls all the relevant information, puts most of it (including some video tuts) inline, and the references as direct links.

One suggestion would be to use the Part107Pilot document as an outline and push through the nine long parts of Sarah Nilsson as the primary source study tool.

I hope the FAA put together study materials soon. :)

This is the second instance I have gone through a test prep site suggested here on these forums with at least one incorrect answer in their test prep exams. The part107pilot.com site looks really streamlined but their question #39 has an incorrect answer in their answer key to #39. The answer should be A, 180 degrees true north @ 4 knots and they have it as B, magnetic. I'd email them to let them know but that site has no contact info.

UAVgroundschool had a similar error on their practice exam on the question related to weight limit for registration requirements by the FAA (i.e. 0.55 lbs to less than 55 lbs for part 107 use) and they had said the correct answer was including 55 lbs (i.e. 0.55 lbs to essentially 55.99999 lbs when it is really 0.55 to under 55 lbs).

Good proofreading is important but it is great to have the multiple resources available in prep for Part 107 test.

Personally, I really like the Sarah Nilsson site's content.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluesgeek
Good proofreading is important but it is great to have the multiple resources available in prep for Part 107 test.

Personally, I really like the Sarah Nilsson site.

Good eye, Woodsong!

There is a value in at least being able to see sample questions, and your post serves to warn that we really need to know that material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
Guys, anything that is mentioned in the ACS will be covered in the FAA's question database. And all are fair game to pop up in your random test.

I hope the FAA put together study materials soon. :)

What you have is pretty much all they will supply. The FAA is in the testing business, not the training business.

UAVgroundschool had a similar error on their practice exam on the question related to weight limit for registration requirements by the FAA (i.e. 0.55 lbs to less than 55 lbs for part 107 use) and they had said the correct answer was including 55 lbs (i.e. 0.55 lbs to essentially 55.99999 lbs when it is really 0.55 to under 55 lbs).

To be fair, that was a typo that was corrected several weeks back. But I guess things on the internet live on in eternity.
Gold Seal (www.UAVGroundSchool.com) does have easy customer support portals via both manned telephone and email.

I just looked at some of the stuff on sectionals in Part107guide's product. Folks, this was clearly written by someone who doesn't know sectionals any better than you do. Be careful out there, it's a jungle.

For what it's worth... I think you'd be silly to use a study guide by anyone who isn't intimately familiar with FAA regs, FAA testing, and FAA Flight Instruction. While NO ONE outside of the FAA (and those creating the tests) have seen the actual tests yet there is a lot to be said to being trained by people who are familiar with FAA testing and procedures. Thus far I believe one of the best I've browsed through is www.UAVGroundSchool.com.

As a flight instructor of manned aircraft we've helped thousands of pilots pass their FAA exams through our online courses.

While the PHAK (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) is awesome for manned pilots. For UAS operators its going to be overkill (It's 600 pages)

I'm doing a free webinar tomorrow night (Tuesday at 9pm eastern) sharing "What to expect on your part 107 FAA knowledge test"

The link to sign up or learn more is here - Remote Pilot 101 |

Hope this helps

Jason

[Aside OT] I see a notice that my post was edited (presumably by a moderator). "Reason: Took out spam qoute"

Does anyone have an email with my original text before the edit? If so, please post it here or PM. I am interested in knowing what I may have posted that would be considered spam, especially since I have no affiliations (commerical or otherwise) with any product or service being discussed. So it would be interesting to see what the moderators would have deemed spam by this standard from Community Guidelines: "10. NO SPAM! Our user base is not a resource to be "mined" by individuals, groups, or businesses, for profit or not for profit. Participants (excluding paid advertisers) may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest."

I can only guess that I may have cross-posted an FAA resource on another thread dealing with the same topic as this, but that would be a different violation of community guidelines, and not SPAM: "6. Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum."

Not a big deal, but I am curious.

...well, I just finished the UAV Ground School training and must say I was very impressed with the depth with which they went into the estimated 127 knowledge topics through 30 hours of very approachable lectures - I aced the first practice test and really feel I have learned and internalized these concepts, rather than just figured out how to pass the test the easiest/quickest way - and while a bit spendy, I think training to integrate safely with the national airspace system is the absolute LAST area you want to skimp on!

...well, I just finished the UAV Ground School training and must say I was very impressed with the depth with which they went into the estimated 127 knowledge topics through 30 hours of very approachable lectures - I aced the first practice test and really feel I have learned and internalized these concepts, rather than just figured out how to pass the test the easiest/quickest way - and while a bit spendy, I think training to integrate safely with the national airspace system is the absolute LAST area you want to skimp on!

Very well said Zander.

Good luck on your test and please let us know how it goes. I think you'll do very well.

Allen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20