Thanks for the tips! Not sure if I want to spend the time and energy doing totally self-directed study, or shell out the $250 for the UAV Ground School. The way I see it is that even if I fail the first time, assuming I pass on the second attempt, that would still be cheaper than $150 + $250 for ground school.

I may order the book listed in the OP and go from there. I've got all the reference documents from the FAA, but man... that's a lot of information.
I've got a month and 1 week to study before my scheduled exam!

Thanks for the tips! Not sure if I want to spend the time and energy doing totally self-directed study, or shell out the $250 for the UAV Ground School. The way I see it is that even if I fail the first time, assuming I pass on the second attempt, that would still be cheaper than $150 + $250 for ground school.

My previous posts were deleted by management. But since you brought it up, I guess it's ok to mention that your Enrollment is good for two years. It will get you through your initial test and still be there when it's time to take the test again to re-certify (has to be taken every two years).

Reactions: BigAl07
My previous posts were deleted by management. But since you brought it up, I guess it's ok to mention that your Enrollment is good for two years. It will get you through your initial test and still be there when it's time to take the test again to re-certify (has to be taken every two years).

That's good to know. I'm definitely considering it!

Here's another post
Thank you very much for your FREE references. I am in the same situation, no pilot, but want to get the Remote Pilot Certificate for UAS. It seems the part 107 can be read and easily learned. The challenge I see so far is to understand all these pilot knowledge on weather, clouds, airports, radio, sectional maps, etc. The pilot handbook is 524 pages. Wondering if there is an easier way than going thru 500 pages. I found this. It is a great reference based on my limited knowledge. ( cant be believe it is free too).
Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1

Thanks for that lalvar40, I've been on that site most of the day -- 'brilliant, and so far the best resource yet.

'Sure is alot to learn for us non-manned-pilots, but quite interesting.As my Dad always used to say when I moaned about learning anything complicated as a child: "Humans were the ones who figured this all out. You are a human, so you can figure it out too."

Curiously, these guys have a page where the y charge $19 for 90 days access to the test prep! not sure how the 'free' version got out. I've taken the test several times (you get a different mix of questions each time). and at the material is pretty much right on and in line with everything else that i have seen about what material would be covered. One error I did find was the question asking about upper weight limits on sUAS's. their answer was 55 lbs or less and if you read the actual text of the rule, a sUAS is defined as "an aircraft weighing less than 55 lbs. use the tests to help direct your study and always defer to the official documents such as the Pilot Handbook.

Excellent. Do you just sign up on the FAA website for the nearest testing site?

Once you've passed the test, what's the next step?

First you get a reservation at either a CATS or Lasergrade testing center. I wouldn't wait around on that. Most centers can only administer maybe 20 tests per day. I suspect the waiting list will be in the hundreds. After you pass your test you will get an account at IACRA - that is the FAA's website for certificate submissions. You'll sign in as the "applicant" and fill out a Form 8710-13. Once everything runs through, you should receive your temporary Remote Pilot certification in the mail in about 10 days. At that point, you are official and can begin operations as a commercial Remote Pilot.

I'm limited as to what I can say about test prep here. But if you want to ask more pointed questions and are on FaceBook, join this group:

需要安全验证

I have no idea why the URL shows up in Oriental characters. But it is the Facebook link and works. Weird...

I'm limited as to what I can say about test prep here. But if you want to ask more pointed questions and are on FaceBook, join this group:

需要安全验证

I have no idea why the URL shows up in Oriental characters. But it is the Facebook link and works. Weird...
I think it has something to do with FB links. I posted one yesterday and it did exactly the same thing.

Just received this book from Amazon, now I just need to figure out what chapters I need to read

9206bfd4fb539cabd713b055600cfb46_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: bluesgeek
Forget about the chapters on theory of flight and aircraft instrumentation. Focus on weather, the effects of various conditions on UAS flight, and weather reporting such as Metar and TAF reports. Make sure you understand the different types of airspace and their dimensions. Learn how to read a sectional chart especially airspace and airport info such as comm frequencies and control. And separately, know the Part 107 Rules. You can take sample tests at Drone Knowledge Test Prep
You can take these tests several times getting a different set of questions each time. Once you can consistently pass these tests with scores of, say, 85-90%, you can probably pass the real thing.

Richard, great summary. I agree with you. However, for us who are not pilots, the aeronautical piece is challenging. Part 107 is just to memorize the rules. The aeronautical piece , you need to understand it.

Reactions: Jsb CA
My point exactly. There are some other threads with people expecting to just "wing it" and pass! For a newbie, taking one of these sample tests should be an eye opener". Look at the questions you answered wrong and then look up that topic in your study material. Then 'learn' the subject. Not a bad idea to make sure why your correct answers were right too!

Just received this book from Amazon, now I just need to figure out what chapters I need to read

9206bfd4fb539cabd713b055600cfb46_thumb.jpg

You'll be able to skip about 2/3s of the book. Get the Remote Pilot ACS and cross-reference to as many sections of the book as you can. It won't cover everything, but at least it will get you started.

rickeyfitts I live in Antioch, CA and plan to take the test in Concord also. No date planned yet. Please do let us know how it goes. I'll be following your footsteps. And thanks for your posts...very helpful.

My point exactly. There are some other threads with people expecting to just "wing it" and pass! For a newbie, taking one of these sample tests should be an eye opener". Look at the questions you answered wrong and then look up that topic in your study material. Then 'learn' the subject. Not a bad idea to make sure why your correct answers were right too!
Yep, 100% correct. There will be a LOT of unhappy faces leaving the testing centers in a few weeks because they were inadequately prepared.

Why even bother with the 107? It will end up like the 333, everyone paying gobs of money for what?
fly, sell and becareful.
This is poor advice to give. Most people want to do it right and get everything in order & legitimate. And I am not sure what gobs of money is to you but the cost to get the 107 is low for anyone who is starting a business as a commercial operator.

If you are going to be a commercial operator you should follow the rules. Not doing so may cost you more than you think.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj