Software vs Firmware and Range

Reaction score
Was out flying close to my normal flying area at the beach. Controller was all over the place with regards to signal strength. I could not achieve 300 ft in any direction. Even went back to the same place where I achieved my first mile down range. Still no better at my normal spot. Just all around wacky.
My question is: Does DJI Go app really have anything to do with wireless range? I'm inclined to say no because the wifi is controlled by the firmware, but I'm not 100% sure. This is the first time I've flown with the latest Go for iOS 3.1.1 and I can't fly worth crap.
OR... have I flown in some sort of astrological phenomenon of super duper interference on a perfect day for flying day? Dry, warm and no wind.

The interference came from other wifi devices in the area. Even if you think you are the only human being around... the wifi interference can come from half a mile away.

The interference came from other wifi devices in the area. Even if you think you are the only human being around... the wifi interference can come from half a mile away.

But why today? I've been flying that area within about .75 miles almost every weekend and never had this bad of an issue.

I agree wifi interference causes range issues. I have had times when using DJI Go my range was lower than normal, so I change apps to Litchi and the range increased.
But I have also had times when Litchi was running and range was low, so changed to DJI Go.

My only theory to the above is perhaps the different apps select different WiFi channels.

So lightbridge would be the cure?
Lightbridge would definitely be better over traditional Wi-Fi as in the standard. It may be on the same frequency but being there's no error checking involved, it's just like streaming on the internet. The video signal is just fed to you continuously without interruption.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarleyKen
Was out flying close to my normal flying area at the beach. Controller was all over the place with regards to signal strength. I could not achieve 300 ft in any direction. Even went back to the same place where I achieved my first mile down range. Still no better at my normal spot. Just all around wacky.
My question is: Does DJI Go app really have anything to do with wireless range? I'm inclined to say no because the wifi is controlled by the firmware, but I'm not 100% sure. This is the first time I've flown with the latest Go for iOS 3.1.1 and I can't fly worth crap.
OR... have I flown in some sort of astrological phenomenon of super duper interference on a perfect day for flying day? Dry, warm and no wind.
The app shouldn't effect signal strength, your app / mobile is connected to the remote with WiFi.

The are three other signals between the remote and Phantom.
Remote Control Signal to Phantom.
Live video Phantom to Remote. a WiFi channel.
Telemetry Phantom to Remote. another WiFi channel.

I think these channels are picked when you re-link the remote to the Phantom, if not it maybe on power up, I only remember that the channels are set automatically. Or maybe the channel between the Remote and the mobile, crap I don't know. :rolleyes:

You stated this is may have to do with new go-app, do you think any firmware was updated recently?

Some stuff on signals.

Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry ;)

Rod

Reactions: HarleyKen
The app shouldn't effect signal strength, your app / mobile is connected to the remote with WiFi.

The are three other signals between the remote and Phantom.
Remote Control Signal to Phantom.
Live video Phantom to Remote. a WiFi channel.
Telemetry Phantom to Remote. another WiFi channel.

I think these channels are picked when you re-link the remote to the Phantom, if not it maybe on power up, I only remember that the channels are set automatically. Or maybe the channel between the Remote and the mobile, crap I don't know. :rolleyes:

You stated this is may have to do with new go-app, do you think any firmware was updated recently?

Some stuff on signals.

Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry ;)

Rod
Digging deeper into my flight log for this flight, I did not get one message stating that there was any interference. So strange.
b654c849037e62322385f2f1ed726835.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I removed and reinstalled my Go app and it deleted my flight logs. All the records I have is what is synced to Airdata. Will that .csv work?
Had you never synced your flights to the DJI cloud?

Share a link to your Air Data flight.

Rod

If your using the go-app, and go to look at your flights, you pick resync with cloud, and they should get reloaded to the app.
Then you go to the next step of uploading it.

What is your mobile device Android?

Rod

Hum, I see the symptom only thing changed was the ios?
So you reinstalled the app, any change?

I seen others that this has happen overnight, without any reason.

My history is this happens on a firmware update.
All I got for now....

Rod

Hum, I see the symptom only thing changed was the ios?
So you reinstalled the app, any change?

I seen others that this has happen overnight, without any reason.

My history is this happens on a firmware update.
All I got for now....

Rod
I haven't flown since I reinstalled the app. Will give it a shot after work today. Thanks for you help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.