So what's up with Glyph ?

Reaction score
I have a P4P and got my Glyph goggles today. I installed the HDMI module on my RC, updated Glyph firmware. Did not have the right cable to connect RC mini HDMI to Glyph micro HDMI. Dang !
My thunderbolt to HDMI cable is on it's way to use with iPhone and iPad.
I connected the Glyph to back of my Apple TV and magic. I watched a few high quality clips on web and was very impressed with the Audio and Video quality. This technology is amazing.
I read somewhere that Avegant is working on building BT Audio functionality, so it could be used as a BT headset. Any idea as when it is due ?
I connect the USB on RC to my iPad. I connect the mini HDMI on RC to micro HDMI on Glyph. Do I need to connect the micro USB on RC to micro USB on Glyph to make head tracking work ?

Overall I am very impressed with Glyph. It's a real cool gadget.

Reactions: Elvy
You had another post about the micro USB port. Before you even mentioned it I anticipated your question about using it for head tracking and explained that it cannot be done with that port.

Now you're specifically asking about that feature? Why not believe me? As I recall I had to explain its use twice in that thread too. Nice to know you value my effort to help you.

Hi qtonic and thank you for your replies/feedback. Yes, I recall posting the same question and your response. If I recall correctly, you mentioned that it could be used for other purposes (firmware update), but not headtracking. I had searched this forum and had found a post by someone who said the micro USB ports works fine for headtracking.
As I am fairly new to drones and accessories , I do search the web and this forum for answers to my question. As I don't know the people who reply, I repeat the question if I have seen conflicting replies.
I take this hobby seriously as in spite of the amazing fun and technology, it could be dangerous.
Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Cheers

Reactions: sparky1111
"Thank you for reaching out to our support team. DJI recently released their own set of goggles and in doing so they have removed support for third party head tracking compatibility. We apologize for the inconvenience. They may return this functionality down the line but we doubt it.

We don’t have plans for Bluetooth audio on the Glyph at this time.

Thanks,
Avegant Support"

I'm running the latest P4P firmware (as of a few days ago, anyway). Head tracking still works for me when plugged directly into the controller.

(I don't have a usb hub yet to try, though I was never holding my breath for that functionality)

So it's not completely gone, at least. Even if it was explicitly removed from DJI GO there is always the possibility of Litchi, whether using something like a Shield or getting lucky with a usb hub.

Good news. That hub I mentioned in the other thread seems to work. I have not flown yet, but the DJI GO app connects and I have camera movement via head tracking.

I'll update you with more info when I have a chance to fly. Remember, it may/probably still depends on the connected device OS (Android/iOS) and version, the device itself, and possibly the app version.

But it's encouraging anyway.

qtonic great news. I hope it all works well with this configuration. When you said in previous email that head tracking works when connect the Glyph to RC directly, do you control the P4P manually ? Just clarifying. Thx.

qtonic great news. I hope it all works well with this configuration. When you said in previous email that head tracking works when connect the Glyph to RC directly, do you control the P4P manually ? Just clarifying. Thx.

Yes. You can totally fly without having a phone or tablet connected. I've done it for short flights when somebody came by and wanted to see it.

With the Glyph at least you'd have a camera view which is more than without any device. Obviously you need to learn how to start and stop the drone if you are used to using the on screen buttons.

As for the more advanced features, I'm not totally sure. I bet you can start recording or take a picture, but I don't know if it retains previous settings from last time a device was connected, for instance.

I assume home point is recorded, and RTH behaves according to the most recent settings, but that's a big assumption and you'd need to verify or research flying without a device. But if you don't fly too far away I bet you will be fine.

This weekend I'll have some time to try out some stuff. Haven't flown in months.

By the way, the diamond in HDMI view shows the way home (I read). So that helps, too.

qtonic, how do you get FPV by connecting RC USB to Glyph micro USB ?
I get a blank screen with this configuration !
Thx

I have not received the hub from eBay yet. I am using iPad Air. I also have an iPhone 7 plus. I will inform once I receive the hub.
I just connected the USB and HDMI (no iPad) and head tracking works ok.

Go the USB hub today. Tried it to connect both iPad and Glyph connected to back of RC. It does not work !
I get all kind of errors like low/no image transmission signal, pixelated screen and calibration errors. Even connecting only the iPad to RC via hub does not work.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl