So what do you guys think about the Phantom 3? Return it or keep it?

Mine has been great. I've maxed out the range in my neighborhood and all occasions when signal was lost, it returned and the visuals came back online and I was able to control and cancel the return and keep flying. It has been great in 14-16 mph wind. It has landed and taken off every time it needed to. One incident where it was my fault, I asked it to return to home and I didn't let it do it's thing and it started to descend on top of a tree. I got control and moved it. I've had compass calibration issues when I try to do it by my metal garage door or my pickup. If I move out into the street away from metal objects, it does fine. I am shocked how easy it is to fly. I'm coming from flying helis and this is cake. I don't fly this like I do my helis. I let it auto land and take off or I catch it in the air. It has one function for me, to take nice areal video and pictures and to explore overhead. I think if you take it in steps and learn it, you will be fine.

Right off the bat, I pushed mine out to see how far it would go and lost contact. It's always headed home. I'm very pleased. this is my first drone, so maybe I'm easy to please. It's nice.

I like it but if I cannot see the I-pad in the daylight it is not worth much to me. My Phantom 1 with FPV is fine and it is like an antique to the P3P. My TBS Pro is great to fly but it has different if not more issues the the DJI product line. I understand it's not perfect but If I cannot see the app I need to find a way to fix that or it is no use to me.

$750 for cinemizers is a bit steep for me just to avoid sunlight. We can always do like those old fashioned photographers and put a black curtain over our heads

Not trying to be a meanie, but if you need others to tell you if you should or shouldn't buy a quad, you shouldn't buy it.
Do your reading, research, and make a decision.

Thats my problem. I research too much. I know every flaw, ding and scratch about the Phantoms. Yet, I was hoping the errors would decrease and so far it seems pretty 50-50 to me. I dont like the odds and the 2 month waiting time for repair in the event of a crash. Just trying to get some honest input without any trolls. I still have not cancelled because my anticipation is taking over. I guess Im really trying to find out if there is legit defectiveness or more of user error crashes. People talking about their P3 suddenly losing power and crashing is all too familiar and such a headache to repair. Im hearing that the battery needs to be broken in certain ways and also hearing about multiple cases where the power randomly shuts off after 30-50%. Not trolling as I have my pre order still set. I just would like more input - less trolls

Mine comes today. I volunteer to be a guinea pig. I can't resist the urge to fly it so I'll let you know if it randomly takes off and crashes into a mountain. I've had a P2V+ so any mishap shouldn't be due to user error.

Ive also read that you have to break the batteries in gently? Use it until its about 60%, then back on charge.........:confused: I dont know how true that is, its the first time Ive read about doing that.

good break in practice to maximize the life of any LiPO is 10 for 10.

meaning fly no more than 10 minutes for 10 flights before pushing the batteries lower.

Check it out... Google LiPO maintenance or search in the forum for best LiPO practice - there are numerous threads about this for all LiPO's, not just the P3

Reactions: Cyclone
My P3A arrived yesterday. Will take it on its maiden flight tinight after work. I was having a play about with the app and it seems very user friendly.

This is my first drone so so I'm pretty excited/nervous to see what it can do. Shame we have to wait to buy extra batteries though, I'm guessing that'd the must have item for these.

Mines a keeper. 7 flights in so far and loving it. I'm not a range explorer but it's good to know I can venture further out if the location requires it. I'm looking forward to filming both indoor and outdoor scenes in one shot

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on an Inspire 1 purchase but portability was my number one requirement. The P3 delivers this.

Look for issues with any product and you will find it. The only gripe I had was the lack of a lense cover on receipt of the quad. Oh and it desends way to quickly on auto land right now.

Keep it. Most of the people I hear on here crashing are due to their own fault or people just trolling forum members. Read the manual, practice safe drone flying procedures and have fun, you'll be fine. Especially if this is your first drone don't be scared to take it slow just like anything else. There's also plenty of tutorial videos on YouTube or posts on this very forum to get you up to speed on what you need to know about your new drone. Enjoy.

Why do people keep saying read the manual? There is nothing in there. Its all just descriptions of buttons or options or whatever. Nothing really interesting in there that would ensure a safe or fun flight... its all just common sense...

People talking about their P3 suddenly losing power and crashing is all too familiar and such a headache to repair. Im hearing that the battery needs to be broken in certain ways and also hearing about multiple cases where the power randomly shuts off after 30-50%. Not trolling as I have my pre order still set. I just would like more input - less trolls

Many of those posts were from troll, obvious and confirmed. Their purpose was to hate other people who had something they did not. Ignoring those and then discounting several others where it appeared to be pilot error and you have almost no reports of issues. There _WILL_ be issues with the P3 just as there have been issues with every Phantom and all other UAVs. There are issues with automobiles and people still buy those. This is a hobby that, by it's nature, will have issues with the device. However, these problems are very few and far between. From what I've seen (in a short amount of time) is that the P3 seems to have far fewer issues then previously released Phantoms.

Fly, have fun and don't worry too much.

Why do people keep saying read the manual? There is nothing in there. Its all just descriptions of buttons or options or whatever. Nothing really interesting in there that would ensure a safe or fun flight... its all just common sense...

Just remember common sense is not all that common and for some this is their first venture into the RC drone world. Things that are common sense to you or others may not be to noobies. It's never a bad idea to glance over the manual especially when $1000+ is involved.

I took my P3A out last night for the first time. My first phantom flying and it was great! There was a gentle breeze but this thing is solid when hovering.

So frustrating having to wait for extra batteries I'm hooked!

I took my P3A out last night for the first time. My first phantom flying and it was great! There was a gentle breeze but this thing is solid when hovering.

So frustrating having to wait for extra batteries I'm hooked!

You and me both. I still have yet to see my Phantom 3 (its out on a truck for delivery). I havent even flown it yet and Im already anticipating the extra battery. I just knew when ordering that 20 mins was not enough fly time. By the time you setup and take a day off to fly it that 20 mins will pass way to quick. I want 4 batteries in total. But, waiting for the prices to drop a little before picking up 2 more. Cheers!

I been seeing a handful of people that are doing perfectly fine with their Phantom 3s (still too early to confirm)
and I seen another handful of people who have already crashed and lost their Phantom 3.

I currently have one pre-ordered and still waiting for it.

Whats your input keep or cancel order?

return it for the Solo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl