Slowing down the Yaw on a P3a/p

Reaction score
I have seen some DIY posts about adding a switchable resistor to the P2 remote, does anyone know if the same applies to the P3? I am tempted to open up my remote, but have been searching for some information before I do, I am also interested in knowing if there is anyone who knows how the inputs directly from the sticks on the P3 remote are measured? I know in a lot of stick remotes, the radio see's the position of the sticks very similar to the way a digital potentiometer works, making me wonder, is there potentially a way to wire a potentiometer in line with the Yaw that would allow you to use the pot dial to set and hold a yaw speed in either direction.

Thanks guys, good explanation in the video, I am curious with your experience to allow for a nice smooth constant pan are the expo / gains settings enough through the software? I am going to try and get out for a test flight today and experiment a bit with them, just curious if it still leaves something to be desired like the ability to "lock" the drone in a constant yaw if something like a potentiometer dial is feasible.

Yes I done this and in my software some time ago.

Makes a big difference.

I also backed the expo all the way to the slow end in order to smooth out yawing motions. It's wise to avoid a lot of yaw in general while taking video as it rarely turns out well.

I also backed the expo all the way to the slow end in order to smooth out yawing motions. It's wise to avoid a lot of yaw in general while taking video as it rarely turns out well.
agree

same with gimbal pitch, it always looks horrible when it jerks from one end to the other.

I think my yaw mod should work in P3 controllers.
Anyone willing to guinea-pig their controller in exchange for a kit?
www.yawmod.com

Reactions: GoldenGateDrones
I think my yaw mod should work in P3 controllers.
Anyone willing to guinea-pig their controller in exchange for a kit?
www.yawmod.com

I assume with your Yaw mod one would be able to adjust the speed even further than what is allowed in the software, right? I am interested in giving it a go, shoot me a message with the details if you want me to try it for you.

I was going through the various suggested settings in this thread when I came across a couple, on my RC screen, that I am not sure about. Can someone explain what the following 2 settings are - which are both enabled by default on my P3A.
Gimbal Pitch Limit - 30degree extensible
Gimbal Yaw Synchronous follow

Iirc, those are the settings for when the Phantom does a fast yaw to one side, the gimbal has to follow. 30deg is the limit to the opposite direction than the Phantom is turning (let's pretend the gimbal is looking sraight ahead). If you had too much of an angle here, the legs would often get into the picture when yawing quickly. Synch. flow will be how fast the gimbal then returns to center to ease the jerky yawing of the copter body.

Pitch allows the camera to look above the horizontal plane an additional 30 deg.

So from straight down(180) up to horizontal(90) then if selected another 30 deg up or 120 deg total pitch.

Also you can adjust gain and attitude settings.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Pitch allows the camera to look above the horizontal plane an additional 30 deg.

So from straight down(180) up to horizontal(90) then if selected another 30 deg up or 120 deg total pitch.

This is correct. I got it mixed up again.

Also you can adjust gain and attitude settings.

Gain and att settings have a different effect on the copter behavior than slowing down yaw.

Thanks guys, good explanation in the video, I am curious with your experience to allow for a nice smooth constant pan are the expo / gains settings enough through the software? I am going to try and get out for a test flight today and experiment a bit with them, just curious if it still leaves something to be desired like the ability to "lock" the drone in a constant yaw if something like a potentiometer dial is feasible.

Don't modify the remote till you play with the settings in the DJI GO app. Here is a start for making adjustments for video:

PhantomFilters.com - Lightweight ND Filters and POL Filters for Phantom 3 FREE SHIPPING — Tips

I'm also extremely interested in this functionality as well. One would think Litchi could add "Pan" as a mode. Set how many degrees you want to pan, clockwise or anti, and time to complete pan in seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl