Shutting down the motors mid-air

Reaction score
I know this may be a ridiculous question but if I pull down on the throttle all the way for 3 seconds while I'm flying will it completely power down the motors on my P3P?

No. Your motors will only shut down if your Phantom stops descending for 3-5 seconds. This is perfectly safe to do in the air.

Reactions: Bag1
Wow! Sorry! I used to side with newbies who asked questions that have been asked many times before but this one right here. I won't say anymore. Just gonna pull up a chair and wait. Well, maybe one more thing. Do a search. Seriously.

While that is true, the manual does seem to indicate that you can do a CSC (the same 'two stick down and in') maneuver you do the arm the motors in mid air which would kill the motors in flight. I'm. It willing to try it, but that seems crazy to me!

Reactions: Bag1
Give him a break. I've read thousands of posts on this forum and I haven't actually seen this explicitly covered (I'm sure it's there, but I haven't seen it)

Even knowing/assuming it's a safe maneuver it still makes me nervous even after 20 flights! Not to mention worrying about vortex ring state.

While that is true, the manual does seem to indicate that you can do a CSC (the same 'two stick down and in') maneuver you do the arm the motors in mid air which would kill the motors in flight. I'm. It willing to try it, but that seems crazy to me!

This is a good thing as you need a way to kill power in an emergency situation. You'll never do it by accident unless you're flying drunk and about to crash anyway.

Reactions: Dave Ward and Bag1
I've read thousands of posts on this forum and I haven't actually seen this explicitly covered (I'm sure it's there, but I haven't seen it)
Wow, you've missed out on the fun Alex. This question is asked every day if not twice per day. Most of the time the threads are rather entertaining and normally lead to someone (or multiple people) mentioning the vortex ring state (VRS) which is highly unlikely (impossibe?) with the P3. The most entertaining are the threads about CSC in mid air, but they haven't been so frequent lately. I miss those threads!

I do understand though. The manual is very poor in many areas. I remember when I first got my P3 and also thought that full down would stop the motors. If not for the many threads on the topic, I would not have learned. Cheers!

Reactions: JoBe
Wow, you've missed out on the fun Alex. This question is asked every day if not twice per day. Most of the time the threads are rather entertaining and normally lead to someone (or multiple people) mentioning the vortex ring state (VRS) which is highly unlikely (impossibe?) with the P3. The most entertaining are the threads about CSC in mid air, but they haven't been so frequent lately. I miss those threads!

I do understand though. The manual is very poor in many areas. I remember when I first got my P3 and also thought that full down would stop the motors. If not for the many threads on the topic, I would not have learned. Cheers!

I've definitely seen a ton of posts in mid-air csc. Just not the full down of the left stick question.

As for VRS I agree the Phantom seems to be programmed so it's not possible/likely. But since I've been flying multi rotors for years I've experienced it and wouldn't want to see it happen to my baby!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
trollin ain't easy
Is if ya do it right !
monker thumbup.gif
Now if ya need to know about prop guards or carbon props now's the time to ask ! :D

Reactions: Meta4
Not sure if the "simulator" provided by DJI is 100% realistic. But in there you can kill the engines mid air by pulling the sticks down and center.

Not sure if the "simulator" provided by DJI is 100% realistic. But in there you can kill the engines mid air by pulling the sticks down and center.
And in real life you can do that too...difference is in the simulator, if you've got 300' or more you can restart...and go up again....in real life not worth the test.

Yes. Doing a CSC midair will shut down the engines in real life and in the simulator, in regards to CSC, the simulator is just like real life....up until free fall occurs. From that point forward, I'm guessing the simulator doesn't reflect reality.

Reactions: Phantom George
I was wondering about this myself in case you really wanted to descent quickly. But the question is can the phantom right itself from freeful possibly inverted? I'd love to see someone try it. :)

I have just purchased prop guards. Will not be using them because then my Quad will no longer fit into the hard shell box.
Welcome to the forum Phantom :)
If you really want to use them then you can get some of the quick connecter's
to take them off when not flying and then it will fit in your box .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl